Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Do corncob pipes need to be broken in?

Re: Do corncob pipes need to be broken in?

Postby HCraven » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:35 pm

ScotsJim wrote:It could be a Legend. Most of the cobs I've seen here in the UK have been Legends. My first cob was a bent Legend just like that, with the orange stem.

Legends and Missouri Prides are about the same size and shape, but the Legends have the faux amber stems, are filled with plaster, and have a unique finish among MM cobs, a varnish with a pronounced yellow tone (kind of like buttered popcorn) that is applied to the cobs by tumbling them in a cement mixer with the varnish. Most of their other plastered cobs are sprayed with lacquer, while the Prides and a few others are left "nekkid", with no plaster or varnish.
Herb
HCraven

Postby KevLa » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:27 pm

Anthorn wrote:According to the blurb I've read, yes they do need breaking in to get rid of the wood stem at the bottom of the bowl...

I've two Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes that I bought new. They both still have their little wooden "tongues" in the bases of their bowls, and smoke perfectly well for me. I do use Philtpads; this may have something to do with it :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby ratatosk » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:08 pm

The Aristocob guy says to leave the wooden tongue alone. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzAi6y_2sfg&list=PL25D387BF9DC1A435&index=2

I never understood why cobs have a hole in the bottom, let alone why most of them only seal it with a label.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby HCraven » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:57 pm

ratatosk wrote:The Aristocob guy says to leave the wooden tongue alone. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzAi6y_2sfg&list=PL25D387BF9DC1A435&index=2

I never understood why cobs have a hole in the bottom, let alone why most of them only seal it with a label.

I don't worry about the shank extension. Some of it burns away anyway, but I haven't had one burn completely off in two years of actively smoking cobs. They smoke fine with the protrusion in the bowl, if you ask me.

The cobs with the label should still be solid at the bottom, it's just the cob instead of a hardwood plug. If there's a hole under the label, it's a manufacturing defect. Scott did another video about that Pipa pipe tobacco with the "free" corncob pipe in the bag, and the Chinese cob they included in his pack had a hole under the "Made in China" sticker, which amused him greatly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAZxLADf7VQ
Herb
HCraven

Postby custodian » Wed May 15, 2013 12:24 am

Just some input on burning out the portion of the wooden shank that protrudes into the cob bowl... I got my Legend in the mail on 5/2... and have smoked it at least once each day since... my briars have only been used for a quick bowl at bedtime... it now has a nice thin cake in the cob bowl... and the wooden shank is just now no longer discernible at the bottom of the bowl... a total of 14 days.
Patrick
Southern Illinois
custodian

Postby stormwulf133 » Wed May 15, 2013 5:20 pm

The Gentleman now has a wooden plug in the bottom like some of their others. For those that don't, i bought an appropriate sized dowel and drilled them out and made a wooden plug in the bottom of most of my cobs. Elmers Wood Glue, followed by a bit of pipe mud in the bottom and no bottom burn out..ever.
XIKAR 4 LIFE!
stormwulf133

Previous

Return to Non-briar pipes