Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

MM Cob quality down since the bad crop?

MM Cob quality down since the bad crop?

Postby Gearhead43 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:12 am

I have a bunch of MM cobs, most are older ones from before last years (?) corn crop failures. The two newer ones I bought recently are Legends from the drug store. These newer ones are rougher & more "pithy" & are of seemingly less dense material & have started cracking around the wooden stem at a rapid pace. One has even sort of "ballooned" out around the middle.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this with fresh MM cobs?

Thanks
Gearhead43

Re: MM Cob quality down since the bad crop?

Postby Bob » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:59 pm

I haven't bought one in quite a while. Can you post some pictures?
Bob
Bob
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby Falconeer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:56 pm

I picked up three in Spain in October - they are MMs but they look like rejects. The plaster is all over the place and some of it simply fell off. As they smoked well enough I sanded them down a bit, filled in the cracks with the Spanish version of Pollyfilla, blocked of the bowls with tissue and sprayed them generously with Rhona's non perfumed hair lacquer leaving them a coup[le of days to dry out.

They've been smoked in very hot climatic conditions since and daily - no problems yet encountered.

IMHO cobs are pretty tough and can be patched without difficulty,

Gerry
"I don't think it matters what kind of pipe you smoke, so long as it is well broken in." - Trevor Baylis former Pipe Smoker of the Year
Falconeer

Postby Gearhead43 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:32 am

I should add that these two pipes still smoke just fine. I fill the cracks with yellow wood glue when they open up & the cracks are pulled shut fairly well by the glue as it dries.

But I have noticed that these two Legends aren't as smoothly finished as my old ones & have begun surface cracking much faster. My old favorites are doing fine, the first one I bought being a Country Gentleman. They all develop some cracking which is no big deal, but these new ones are doing it at a faster rate especially around the stem.
Gearhead43

Postby Falconeer » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:12 am

I'd agree with you Gearhead re their smoking qualities - I bough another couple of cobs when I was briefely back in England in October and visually they were much better - but they were the ones with the rounded tops to the bowls. All of these do seem however to have smaller bowls than I'm used to on Legends,

Happy smoking

Gerry
"I don't think it matters what kind of pipe you smoke, so long as it is well broken in." - Trevor Baylis former Pipe Smoker of the Year
Falconeer

Postby Anthorn » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:36 pm

Country Gentleman has been changed. I had two bent CGs delivered direct from Missouri Meerschaum and gone is the sticker and in its place a stamped hardwood plug. Overall I think the quality is about the same as before. What changed is that due to the shortage of larger cobs some of the wider designs were discontinued and instead taller bowls, for example the Diplomat 5th Avenue.
Favourite tobacco: Gawith Hoggarth Sliced Kendal Brown Twist (Sliced Brown Bogie), Gawith Hoggarth Rum Flake, Dunhill My Mixture 965, Ashton Artisan's Blend, Peterson Irish Flake. Most disiked tobacco: Peterson Sunset Breeze, Samuel Gawith Perfection.
Anthorn

Return to Non-briar pipes