Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Aged Brit Pipeman rambles on about cobs.......

Re: Aged Brit Pipeman rambles on about cobs.......

Postby KevinM » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:16 am

I smoke my cobs in public, even at the smoke break areas of construction sites and industrial facilities. One young fella at one of the smoke break areas even commented I had "swag" for smoking a cob in public without a care in the world. Stuff like that bothered me in my 20s and 30s, not so much in my 40s, and not at all now that I am in my 50s :D
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Bob » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:45 pm

I'm not embarrassed to smoke cobs in public. Like you, I really don't give a damn what other people think (except if I was at a pipe show with 20 pipe makers around :lol: ). It's just a chance for me to show off my nice pipes I guess.
Bob
Bob
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby Penn25 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:35 pm

Saw a site the other day that specializes in custom cobs. Shaped other than traditional BUT some were dyed but don't know if they were stabilized. Don't think that other than natural would have an introduced bad taste. Any opinions on this? Thanks
Penn25

Postby 4nogginsmike » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:28 pm

For a long time I wasn't attracted to cobs. Briar was the more classy vehicle for my smoking. But when I resumed smoking 2 years ago, I needed pipes as I sold everything, right down to the flints for my lighter. So I bought a half-dozen cobs and enjoyed the heck out of them.

They are flimsy, cheap, and the standards for their manufacture are obviously not those used in making briar pipes, but for all that they are still very good pipes and have a wide-open draw. I marvel at how they take the heat so well, offering themselves up for the next bowl without complaint. I use them daily while driving, when a short smoke is a good thing.

They are firmly in my rotation.
Pipe smoking: the most cultivated taking of tobacco; a good friend and a sublime addiction; but give me a cigar, too. But so expensive: smoke up and smoke less.
4nogginsmike

Postby Penn25 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:04 pm

My daughter in law has used all but swears by her clay pipes. No she's not a hill billie lol. Everyone has different tastes. Briar, cob, clay or whatever the other pipe materials one likes God bless diversify.
Penn25

Postby Falconeer » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:12 am

Being in Spain where it's drier (much) than in the UK - my Corncobs are seeing stout yeoman service here again - and working great with St Bruno.

Happy smoking all!
"I don't think it matters what kind of pipe you smoke, so long as it is well broken in." - Trevor Baylis former Pipe Smoker of the Year
Falconeer

Postby Growhart » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:40 pm

I can recall reading this post some time ago while trying to acquire my first pipe and finding myself unable to choose a medium quality cheaper value pipe. I ended up with a wee missouri meershaum(i now own three of them, with the first still smoking strong after a year of mild use).
Growhart

Postby 4nogginsmike » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:52 pm

There's less self-consciousness about smoking cobs in the US, it seems. But there certainly is the same prejudice amongst smokers themselves. For some, smoking cobs is not an option: they just don't. Nor do they talk about them or think about them. Briar is the only vessel fit for smoking. This is how I see the issue.

I smoke cobs. I find a size and shape I like and buy them in groups of 10. The last batch I bought were Mark Twains, advertised by MM to be large enough for a long smoke when you get home at night after work. Hardly. Whatever MM claims the size is, I often subtract 20% when I estimate size. It's great that they are now giving specs for their pipes, but bear in mind that it represents an average; whereas a briar bowl can be shaped and chamber drilled to an exact size, cobs vary, and the person sorting them gets to decide the size.

At any rate, when I get a new group in, they sit until the needs of my pipe rotation suggest one or two be included for X and Y subtype of tobacco.

I love them, and I got 10 good pipes for less than the cost of what I paid for my last briar. Hard to say what prompts pipe choice other than adequate rest, but I reach for cobs often. I find them comforting, but I couldn't say why.
Pipe smoking: the most cultivated taking of tobacco; a good friend and a sublime addiction; but give me a cigar, too. But so expensive: smoke up and smoke less.
4nogginsmike

Previous

Return to Non-briar pipes