Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Carey's African Meers ...review

Re: Carey's African Meers ...review

Postby Falconeer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:06 pm

Laxey's did indeed make for Peterson, Barling, Comoys and just about any other British maker as well as putting out meers under their own "Manxman" name.

I was in touch with the Isle of Man's museum curator a few years ago for more info - but though they hold a lot of papers brochures etc. on Laxey's pipe works none of it is digitised yet so to get access to these you need to visit in person. As I'd love to know more about the production process one day I hope to get there!
"I don't think it matters what kind of pipe you smoke, so long as it is well broken in." - Trevor Baylis former Pipe Smoker of the Year
Falconeer

Re: Carey's African Meers ...review

Postby 4nogginsmike » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:59 pm

I like briars that acquire patina, but I don't buy pipes because they will do so. Similarly, if I owned a meer, I don't believe that I would care to any great extent if it colored. That's a bonus. My concern would be that it's made and smokes well. Just my drift.
Pipe smoking: the most cultivated taking of tobacco; a good friend and a sublime addiction; but give me a cigar, too. But so expensive: smoke up and smoke less.
4nogginsmike

Previous

Return to Non-briar pipes