Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

An Old Falcon Sighting in the Derbyshire Dales

An Old Falcon Sighting in the Derbyshire Dales

Postby Frizz » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:49 am

Now I know this will be old news to many of our UK members, nearly seven months old now, but it was new to me and I thought that others might enjoy it as well. It's a very entertaining series from BBC4 called Walking Through History with the ever spry Tony Robinson as presenter. Basically it's a walking tour through several scenic areas within the UK with a bit of history thrown in for good measure.

The first episode is in the Peak District and the historical theme is "The Birth of Industry". Eventually walking down through the Upper Derwent Valley and winding up in Derby, Tony starts up in Ashford-in-the-Water, where he meets a now 88 year old farmer at the Sheepwash bridge and then out come the old photographs. Probably taken in the early 1960's by the look of the them, there's a very good photograph of the farmer smoking his Falcon while taking the sheep out of the river (where they've just had a good bath!).

Here's a link to the full episode now posted on YouTube - hopefully it will play wherever you're at. The Falcon shows up at about 06:30 minutes in, but the whole 47 minutes is highly enjoyable. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PyrUuP1CyQ

P.S. - I haven't yet watched the remaining episodes, so no spoilers, por favor. :o :lol:

P.S.S. - here's a link to the BBC4 page as well.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/walk ... sode-guide
-Chris
Frizz

Re: An Old Falcon Sighting in the Derbyshire Dales

Postby Bob » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:49 pm

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed the video and the Falcon was cool too.
Bob
Bob
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Return to Non-briar pipes