Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Old Dominion Cobs

Old Dominion Cobs

Postby HowlinWolf » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:12 pm

Found these on the smokingpipes.com "what's new" on Monday (updates every Monday and Thursday BTW) No affiliation etc.

According to the blub at smoking pipes these pipes are "fitted with bamboo cane stems"
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Old-Dominion/
There are only two at smokingpipes, one is $10, the other is $16.

but you can also get them straight from Old Dominion, same prices
http://www.olddominionpipe.com/
and there they have another called the Chesapeake, for $5

This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Re: Old Dominion Cobs

Postby Gotsmoke » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:14 pm

Thanks for posting the link to the company. I mostly smoke cobs and thought I would try them out as well. I ordered the Laughing King and Chesapeake. I like how the pipes are historically accurate from the mid-1800's and made from indian corn cobs. I smoked two bowls in the Laughing King and like most cobs it will need a breaking in period. The cob is skinny and a little taller than my Missouri Meerschaum cobs. The bamboo stem seems like it will help keep it a nice cool smoke, but I wonder if it will hold up over time. I'm still on the fence if I would recommend the Laughing King. I wasn't impressed at all with the Chesapeake pipe. I probably should have cleaned the stem out before trying to smoke it, but all I got was little chunks of bamboo in my mouth. The Missouri Meerschaum has much better quality for cheaper pipes, such as the Eaton or Pride. Hard to believe I'm complaining about a five dollar pipe :oops: . I just love how the cobs smoke, especially great for somebody like me, newer to the hobby. I've been putting some money back to buy a mid level briar, but I keep spending it on new cobs and upgrades for the stems :roll:
Gotsmoke

Postby HowlinWolf » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:02 pm

I thought they might be of interest to cob fans, history buffs, Civil War re-enactors, Popeye fans, etc.

When I saw them I thought of Granny Hawkins, from The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Granny Hawkins: They say you're a hard put and desperate man, Josey Wales. They're goin' to heel and hide you to a barn door. You know what I say?
Josey Wales: What's that?
Granny Hawkins: I say that big talk's worth doodly-squat. Now, them poultices be laced with feathermoss and mustard root. Mind you drop water on 'em occasional and keep 'em damp.
Granny Hawkins: You can pay me when you see me again, Josey Wales.
Josey Wales: I reckon so.

This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Dodger » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:12 pm

The Outlaw Josie Wells is one of the best Westerns ever and that lady was a great character .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Non-briar pipes