Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Meerschaum advice thread

Re: Meerschaum advice thread

Postby KevLa » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:38 am

noodle wrote:... a close up pic alongside a normal picture of the same pipe...

She's a beauty, mate. Thanks for sharing those :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby pbielicki » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:41 am

[/quote]
hardware and heath food stores sometimes have beeswax, probably better price getting it online though, I used yellow (natural) beeswax on mine it does add a yellow tinge to the color, if you want the purest coloring get the "bleached" white wax.[/quote]
Thank you. I'll have to look for it. I'll also have to thin about how to use it. Both of my meers have holes or indentations. One is the Galax-air, the other is a lattice. With them not being smooth, I could only apply the beeswax to the outer surface.
pbielicki

Postby PuFFaH » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:58 am

This thread inspired me to look at meer pipes again online. So it lead to me be suckered into another pipe.
I'm a sucker for a good looking pipe, and poorer in the wallet again. Still happy though ;)
PuFFaH

Postby Dodger » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:17 am

Great pipe .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:09 pm

PuFFaH wrote:...Still happy though ;)

With a pipe like that, I bet you are :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby pbielicki » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:51 pm

PuFFaH wrote:This thread inspired me to look at meer pipes again online. So it lead to me be suckered into another pipe.

Absolutely gorgeous bent bulldog. I love the bulldog shapes and it looks good in meer.
pbielicki

Postby ratatosk » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:09 am

Beautiful pipe. I am thinking that something along those lines will be my Q2 Bonus pipe. :D
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby 4nogginsmike » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:47 pm

I love smooth meer. It usually looks better to me than carving, although lattice meers hit my spot as well.
Pipe smoking: the most cultivated taking of tobacco; a good friend and a sublime addiction; but give me a cigar, too. But so expensive: smoke up and smoke less.
4nogginsmike

Postby hooboy » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:21 pm

I personally find meerschaums to be too fragile for my heavy handed way with pipes. Its almost (again to me) as fragile as a clay .
And have broke more of each than I like to dwell on!
I like the looks of them and admire ones that have colored naturally and I have owned a some over time. Now I only have a lined one at present!
In smoking them They start out better IMO than any other type, BUT I cannot get into the Not handling the bowl, Or using only white gloves in handling them and the many other ways they should be treated.
To each his own, If that you Good! I am not criticing them only giving my assessment , Again personally I like pipes like Briars and cobs which can take a more robust handling!
hoo
I feel strongly both ways!
hooboy

Postby PuFFaH » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:24 pm

I have never understood those that handle Meershaum with kid gloves They are stronger than others claim and I have broken more acrylic stems off briar pipes. My Meershaum are for smoking not ornaments so they get handled with bare hands even if dirty including glues and resin. Meers clean up easy and the colour comes either way but the smoking stats the same.
Don't listen to the hype.
PuFFaH

Previous

Return to Non-briar pipes