Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Meerschaum advice thread

Re: Meerschaum advice thread

Postby Dodger » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:27 pm

Geo3rge wrote:Further to the Meerschaum discussion, just a note to say that The Danish Pipe Shop has a new and large selection of pipes. I received their email newsletter this morning and the range is extensive, but they may go quickly! Thought it would be worth folk knowing. I am considering them myself, but unsure whether the cash flow will allow a purchase!
The link is:

http://www.danishpipeshop.com

Happy smoking today.

A bit on the dear side but quality should be assured .

Meers usually colour from the shank to the bowl ,and there is no sure way of hastening the process .It colours at different rates for each pipe ,so my advice is to enjoy the smoke and not worry about it .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:37 pm

Dodger wrote:...A bit on the dear side but quality should be assured...

A bit too steep for me, also :|
...my advice is to enjoy the smoke and not worry about it .

I concur :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby HowlinWolf » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:18 pm

The smokingpipes site updates every Monday and Thursday.
Sometimes there are new Meers listed
but also note that there are often estate Meers in "fresh estate pipes" section.

The well known Meer brands go very, very quickly from the estate Meers section. As in: some of them are gone in a matter of hours. (At least you don't have to get in a bidding war about them. :lol: )
OC I can't vouch for the pipes that are offered there - that's between you and smokingpipes.
Just a lead/tip.
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby MeerQueen » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:49 am

Hi,
May i advice you to check our diamond series classic pipes at:
http://www.meerschaumstore.com/Meerscha ... _Pipes.asp

Many of them is out of stock however we will be adding new ones soon

We use briar type teflon tenon with acrylic stem and those diamond series are carved by our master artisan Tekin.

Regards,
Cem Bahadir Baykal
GM

Moderator Comments (bob9039): I've reviewed this post, did some checking, and determined it's not SPAM. This was a sincere suggestion.
MeerQueen

Postby Bob » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:06 pm

HW, have you checked out YouTube? I found this guy to be good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7InCk65HJg

You also need to re-wax a meer and this helps to bring out the color. I like the routine the guy in the video above uses with wax in a chap stik dispenser. Makes sense to me. He also likes to apply other oils. I've never done that but I'm going to try.

I do use the natural color wax vs bleached/clear as I don't like my meers bright white. Many people use the oven and examples can be found on YouTube. Melt the wax in the oven with the pipe pre-heating next to it, paint on the melted wax, put the pipe back in the oven to let the wax soak in, and repeat until the wax stops soaking in.
Bob
Bob
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby Bob » Thu May 08, 2014 4:08 am

Bump.

HW, I'm still interested to know if you've ever re-waxed your meers. I does improve the color.
Bob
Bob

Postby KevLa » Thu May 08, 2014 4:32 am

I've just been letting my meerschaums colour, albeit slowly, at their own pace. I do wear a glove while holding my few fancy meerschaums, though :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby BladeBoy » Thu May 08, 2014 6:01 am

Don't forget about Tekin who now has his own site...
http://www.tekinmeerschaumpipes.com
BladeBoy

Postby HowlinWolf » Thu May 08, 2014 1:40 pm

bob9039 wrote:Bump.

HW, I'm still interested to know if you've ever re-waxed your meers. I does improve the color.

(for short answer, read only the red lettered parts :lol: )

I need to make it very clear that a lot of what you’re about to read is a repetition of things I’ve read elsewhere, not things I’ve actually done.
I take a very dim view of guys parroting what they’ve only read about pipes and smoking and letting you believe they’re experts at it. This seems to happen a lot in the pipe world.

There are three main methods of waxing a Meerschaum. You ALWAYS use 100% beeswax, not paraffin or a blend.

Hot wax bath
(I have not done this)
You take a pound or two of beeswax and melt it in a big heatproof bowl in an oven at about 200* F until it’s completely melted.
You remove the female/mortise fitting from the pipe (it screws in), and plug the hole with a small cork. You also plug the bowl with a bigger cork.
You submerge the entire pipe in the melted wax and leave it in the oven for 10 or 15 minutes, remove it from the wax bath, let it cool, and lightly buff off the excess wax with a cloth.
This method has the reputation for being the most potent and effective way of waxing. I can imagine!
I’m as scared as hell to try it. I feel almost positive that when I try to screw the mortise fitting back into the pipe, I will cross-thread it, or something horrible like that.

”Smear method” (my terminology)
This I have done, twice
Cork the pipe per above to keep wax from going into the pipe. (I of course didn’t remove the mortise fitting, I just stuck a cork into it.)
Melt enough wax to about half-fill the bottom of a tobacco tin in a skillet of simmering water (double boiler).
Twist the cotton on a Qtip tightly to minimize lint, and use the Qtip to mop melted wax all over the pipe. By the time you’re done, your pipe will look like a giant glob of phlegm. (I’m being frank here.)
Use a heat gun ON LOW to melt the wax off the pipe and also to heat up the pipe. Yes, by “heat gun” I mean the electric hair dryer thing that will burn freaking paint off of freaking wood.
Wax will fly and drip everywhere. Unless you are a bachelor, I would not do this on the kitchen counter. Maybe not even then.
Buff off the excess. The pipe will feel nice and smooth again, and the combo of heat and wax might cause a small jump in the natural coloration that is taking place in the pipe.
My Paykoc now has a rosy ring around the rim and the beginnings of a brown stain at the end of the shank where the stem goes. This is after a month of smoking it at least once a day, sometimes three times a day.
If you think your Meer is going to color quickly after, oh, maybe 100 smokes, you'd better rethink that, 'cause it's not going to happen.

Rub the pipe with a stick of beeswax while you are smoking it
Sounds sticky and less effective to me. Haven’t tried it, probably won’t.

NOTE: - natural beeswax is a yellow/tan/resin color. When I waxed my Paykoc Meerschaum as described above, the wax stained the pipe from snow white to an overall yellow-ivory like the keys on an antique piano. I'm not talking about tar-coloring here, the yellow is too uniform for that to be the explanation.
I can live with this, but when it comes to waxing my more expensive AKB, I’m going to use white beeswax.
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby aquaholic » Thu May 08, 2014 6:33 pm

Great post HW, makes me wanna wax my meers :lol:

Do people rewax the African meers as well? I wonder how the wax affects the cracks/crevises of the rustification?
~Isaac
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cellar
aquaholic
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Bob » Thu May 08, 2014 11:30 pm

Isaac, most people I know heat the wax and the pipe in the oven at low temp. They then paint on the wax very thinly with a cheap artists brush and back into the oven to soak in. They repeat the process until it looks like the wax is no longer soaking in (two to three times). Each application is thin and reheated after application. So, there is no noticeable wax buildup in crevices.
Bob
Bob

Postby aquaholic » Fri May 09, 2014 10:50 am

roger that
~Isaac
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cellar
aquaholic
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby noodle » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:29 am

I've only a couple of African meets but I got them both at roughly the same time I've smoked them a similar amount. Handled both as I would a cob or briar etc
One is a barking bought brand new from a shop in southport the other a Jambo from eBay
The difference is how I've waxed them and left them after smoking
The Jambo has been waxed with beeswax every stint I have smoking it ( I'll come back to stint in a moment) as has the barling
Now what I have done different and it seems to show is with the Jambo I've left it after a quick wipe insides ugh a cloth soaked in alcohol and the barling has been cleaned quite thoroughly
By stint I tend to smoke these for a few days constantly then leave them for a while usually at least a week
One has coloured quite well the other is a little odd looking
The Jambo on the left is taking a decent colour and the barling is starting to take on a smokey hue on the base
in real life im known as john woods
noodle

Postby noodle » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:15 pm

no ideaif this is any use whatsoever but i was playing with a jewelers glass and took a close up pic alongside a normal picture of the same pipe.
it shows how wax initially colours meerschaum, well african meer anyway

the normal picture

you can see the marbling as it starts to stain

up close and personal

on this one you can see the imperfections in the surface as darker lines, ive no idea if this is smoke staining, a thicker layer of wax or even just plain old dirt from handling
in real life im known as john woods
noodle

Postby BladeBoy » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:21 am

A friend of mine sent these for Christmas, he filled lip balm tubes with white beeswax for a convenient way of waxing meerschaums, they need to be heated for a few seconds in the microwave before use to free the wax bonded to the tube walls as to not break the plastic feed mechanism, but a good idea IMO...

BladeBoy

Postby 4nogginsmike » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:40 pm

I've yet to be bitten by the meerschaum bug, perhaps because I'm so busily bitten by it's briar relation.

It will happen, I'm sure, but when it does I'm going to buy from a well-established seller who sells top-of-the-line merchandise, so doing as I'm a complete idiot about meer.
Pipe smoking: the most cultivated taking of tobacco; a good friend and a sublime addiction; but give me a cigar, too. But so expensive: smoke up and smoke less.
4nogginsmike

Postby PuFFaH » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:51 am

Stay away from Altinok. Three times an idiot writes from experience. Very poor quality pipes tho his customer service is good.
PuFFaH

Postby HowlinWolf » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:38 pm

update: I have done the wax bath method (details above) several times with very satisfactory results. It really draws out the color.

I put the wax in a stainless steel kitchen canister, and set it in a double boiler. Melting the wax this way takes a half hour to 45 minutes, but at least I'm confident it's not getting too hot for the pipe.

I removed and reinserted the female mortise insert without tragic results :lol:
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby pbielicki » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:56 am

Where does one acquire beeswax? I would first like to use it on some stubborn stems, but then, I would also like to learn a little more about using it on a meer. I'd rather not have to buy it online. The quantities provided would probably be too great for my needs. And is it important to get white, as opposed to yellow, beeswax?
pbielicki

Postby BladeBoy » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:55 am

pbielicki wrote:Where does one acquire beeswax? I would first like to use it on some stubborn stems, but then, I would also like to learn a little more about using it on a meer. I'd rather not have to buy it online. The quantities provided would probably be too great for my needs. And is it important to get white, as opposed to yellow, beeswax?

hardware and heath food stores sometimes have beeswax, probably better price getting it online though, I used yellow (natural) beeswax on mine it does add a yellow tinge to the color, if you want the purest coloring get the "bleached" white wax.
BladeBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Non-briar pipes