Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

MM corn cob problem [brand new]

MM corn cob problem [brand new]

Postby butterspread » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:22 am

I bought the said cob yesterday and after the first smoke there is a crack. And a big one. I will try smoking it again today to see if it is any good. But I am disappointed nevertheless. Any advice on this? Chuck it away?
http://i.imgur.com/0yiqeIv.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Kt6KVtm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/xW7O54l.jpg
butterspread

Re: MM corn cob problem [brand new]

Postby Dodger » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:39 am

Take it back ,they should replace it .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Bob » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:33 pm

You smoked it once and the inside of the bowl looks like that? Maybe it's just the photography but it looks like it hit 1000 degrees. :shock: Did you smoke it real fast and hard? Regardless, it shouldn't have cracked. Take it back.

FWIW, I hooked up a cob to my shop vac to see how fast I could burn a bowl of tobacco and the cob was fine. :)
Bob
Bob
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:03 pm

wow, the inside of the bowl looks almost like fire damage from an open flame. Not saying that's what happened, just what it looks like from those pics. Was it coated with anything?

I agree with the others, take it back, cobs don't normally have any issues for at least months if not years of smoking.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby butterspread » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:40 pm

Thanks for advice. I smoked a full bowl and it took me around 35-40 minutes which is in usual time. I didn't feel it as a particularly hot or wet smoke, just some moisture visible inside the stem but no gurgling or anything. The crack disappointed me seriously though. Will take a trip to the shop tomorrow for a replacement.
butterspread

Postby butterspread » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:45 pm

update. I got it replaced no bother. Took one with a straight stem this time though. Also TAD kicked in and i walked out with some Bull's Eye.
Must be said online shopping ain't the same as paying a visit to a quality tobacconist. Must repeat it in the future.
butterspread

Postby Dodger » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:07 pm

butterspread wrote:
Must be said online shopping ain't the same as paying a visit to a quality tobacconist. Must repeat it in the future.

Very true ,but for some blends you have to go online .
Glad you had no trouble in getting a replacement.
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby HowlinWolf » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:14 pm

butterspread wrote:

If you have the option :D Nearest tobacconist to me is +/- 3 hrs. away :(
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby butterspread » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:39 pm

Ok. I smoked in my replacement cob. Since I purchased a tin of Bull's Eye when in the shop I smoked that. It went well. Cob doesn't show any unwanted signs of damage or anything. Also it is nowhere near as charred as the previous one.

After finishing my smoke I went ahead with cleaning, quick mop around in the chamber and then took out the stem. It was quite hard to remove it though. Very high friction. Now, the trouble is I can't get it back in. It doesn't want to go in to the end, again due to friction. I didn't want to break it so I left it partly in as much as it would go, and now there is like a 2mm space there. I was afraid to remove it again. What do I do now? Does it need to rest before I try to take it out? Do I need to carefully pull it out or do I screw it out as the case is with briar pipes? Please help.

Kris.
butterspread

Postby Dai » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:10 am

I have two cobs, one seems harder than the other to the touch. I think you had a bad cob. It happens.
Last edited by Dai on Thu May 08, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dai

Postby Bob » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:11 pm

When removing stems on any pipe except military mount let it cool. This is just good practice to protect the tenon.

After cleaning a pipe with a solvent let the pipe dry out for an hour or so before trying to put the stem back in. The wood swells and it can be very hard to put the stem back in.

As stated here many times, if a stem is just plain stuck in the pipe, put the pipe in the freezer for 10 minutes. This usually works.
Bob
Bob

Postby Falconeer » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:20 pm

It's also worth getting a stick of beeswax and rubbing the stem with it before you replace it. I do this with all of mine and it makes stem replacement much easier.
"I don't think it matters what kind of pipe you smoke, so long as it is well broken in." - Trevor Baylis former Pipe Smoker of the Year
Falconeer

Postby 4nogginsmike » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:08 pm

Factory cob stems are perhaps the cheapest part of the pipe. MM upgraded them from plastic to vulcanite? acrylic? in the not too distant past. If you want a stem of the quality comparable to those in briar pipes, Walker is a source for "forever" stems.

My Diplomats, with the original stem, when the tenon is fully inserted, can look as if they are not fully inserted; and from time to time, they loosen in the mortise for no apparent reason. I've taken to checking snugness before each smoke.

Overall the stems and their tenons do not recommend themselves, but they hold for my purposes.
Pipe smoking: the most cultivated taking of tobacco; a good friend and a sublime addiction; but give me a cigar, too. But so expensive: smoke up and smoke less.
4nogginsmike

Postby KevLa » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:04 am

butterspread wrote:...After finishing my smoke I went ahead with cleaning, quick mop around in the chamber and then took out the stem...

Bob wrote:When removing stems on any pipe except military mount let it cool. This is just good practice to protect the tenon...

Yeah, I reckon that is what happened.
To put it simply, always leave the pipe to cool (ten minutes should be more than enough) before removing her stem :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Return to Non-briar pipes