Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Peterson Meerschaums

Peterson Meerschaums

Postby ratatosk » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:05 pm

I was not even aware that Peterson still offered meers, let alone Turkish ones, but cupajoe's has a bunch of them towards the bottom of http://cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/dept?dpt=W&srch=DW&nitem=petkinxl28s9&tier2=3 They are standard shapes and have been colored, I don't know if I like this or not?

Anyone have experience with these? I've gotten gun shy about Peterson in general, but these are kind of interesting.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Peterson Meerschaums

Postby William » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:25 pm

I was aware and have been interested for several years (as I still don't own a meer) and look forward to any replies. I almost pulled the trigger on a Peterson black lattice meer from Cupojoes a about three years ago but waited too long. This discussion may rekindle the fire. :)
The meaning of life becomes irrelevant once I'm smoking my pipe.
William
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Dodger » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:49 am

Richard as far as I am aware there are still white meerschaum Peterson's available .
I know someone who bought one a couple of years back and is very happy with it .
Never fancied one myself as they are more expensive and do not come with a case ,unlike the ones direct from Turkey .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Bob » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:07 am

I checked out some of those Peterson Meers on Cupojoes and they're very appealing shapes. I like them a lot. If they're military mount they should be pretty nice. I'd really like to inspect one to see the mortise and how a pipe cleaner passes. I like the red ones.
Bob
Bob
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby BladeBoy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:58 am

I saw those, I don't care for the lattice or the stain, but still interesting.
BladeBoy

Postby RoyOdhner » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:55 pm

[quote="Bob"]I checked out some of those Peterson Meers on Cupojoes and they're very appealing shapes. I like them a lot. If they're military mount they should be pretty nice. I'd really like to inspect one to see the mortise and how a pipe cleaner passes. I like the red ones.[/quote]

I have one, the Deer Stalker. Mine smokes very well, and has a nice open draw. I think that the dark black stain makes it look really nice, and mine looks like it was carved out of a chunk of coal. However, I am a bit disappointed with it. It was marketed as a Sherlock Holmes line, but aside from the similarity in shape to a SH series Deer Stalker, there are some fundamental differences. It's quite a bit smaller than a SH Deerstalker. It has a military mount, and the mount appears to be a standard nickel Pete mount. It does not have the SH silhouette, and it is simply stamped K&P Peterson.

Nice pipe, but not a SH - and I'm not sure that it's actually worth the $171 asking price. However, those more familiar with meerschaum pipes might have a different view. It's still one of my favorite pipes, and I've dedicated it to heavy aromatics - but I wouldn't buy another unless they dropped the price by about $30 or so.
One burley SOB.
RoyOdhner

Return to Non-briar pipes