Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Comet aluminum pipe

Comet aluminum pipe

Postby HowlinWolf » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:08 pm

http://www.smokingmetal.co.uk/pipe.php?page=222

like number 1 in the picture

A friend of mine who spends a lot of time at auctions gifted me a metal pipe today. No markings of any kind, but from the smokingmetal pipes site I conclude that it's a Comet.
Very very clean condition. Either someone cleaned it very thoroughly or it's unsmoked.
It's the kind that has the briar insert in the finned cup.
A tiny filter in the end cap is yellowed with age, but there doesn't appear to be any tar in it.
A few tooth marks on the stem, but they are tiny. Makes me wonder whether some kiddies were making believe with dad or grandpa's pipe, but who knows?

What have I got here? How rare, how collectible, etc.
Anyone have an idea how old it might be?
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Re: Comet aluminum pipe

Postby William » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:40 pm

Neat gift for a pipe smoker. I don't know any information other than the link you provided but would be curious as to how it smokes and cleans up compared to a Falcon (if you have one) or a regular briar pipe.
The meaning of life becomes irrelevant once I'm smoking my pipe.
William
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Falconeer » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:45 pm

Never seen one of these before, and I thought I knew just about all the metal pipes! Has the looks of a Kirsten about it in some respects.

Were it British I'd say it would have come out in the 50s as DeHavilland's first passenger jet "The Comet" came into service then and until it started to develop metal fatigue, of which not so much was known then, was thought to be one of the most advanced things on the planet and you had Comet everything when I was a boy...and most unusually Britain even sold the Comet Airliner to America!

Great score - looking forward to hearing how it smokes and will follow this thread with great interest to learn more.
"I don't think it matters what kind of pipe you smoke, so long as it is well broken in." - Trevor Baylis former Pipe Smoker of the Year
Falconeer

Postby HowlinWolf » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:22 pm

The funny thing is:
if it's really old and it appears to have not been smoked, I might not smoke it.

I've told the story about my Ropp Alpine giants before...
three separate ones at separate times from eBay all arrived unsmoked. There was even a light coating of varnish still in the bowl.
I figured if they'd made it +/- 50 years without anyone smoking them, it would be a shame to burn them up at this late date. Sometime I might make some sort of lodge-y looking plaque with the pipes on it.

Anyway, I kind of feel the same way about this Comet.
But I'm still keen to know the whens, whys, and wherefores of it.
Gerry - FYI
That smokingtmetal site has a H U G E list of brands.:

http://www.smokingmetal.co.uk/a2z_index.php
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby William » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:29 pm

HW, I know how you feel. I have three Custom-bilts from the 1930s that are unsmoked and as of yet can't bring myself to putting flame to any. However, this is not by plan and circumstances could change at any time.
The meaning of life becomes irrelevant once I'm smoking my pipe.
William
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:48 pm

Interesting pipe, Mr. Wolf, I hope it turns out to be valuable. :D
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:48 am

Very nice :D However you enjoy her, Mr. Wolf, enjoy her! :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Return to Non-briar pipes