Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Bending A Falcon Stem, Can It Be Done?

Bending A Falcon Stem, Can It Be Done?

Postby BladeBoy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:59 pm

So this week I got a bent Falcon and the bit is not bent enough for me, i like my bowls horizontal when I clench, it may just be my bite but the bowl sits up in the air causing the fluid to run into the airway tube. I'm wondering if the bit could be heated and bent a bit further so it's more horizontal when clenched, I have bent vulcanite and acrylic but the Falcon stems are made of a different plastic, anyone ever done this?
BladeBoy

Re: Bending A Falcon Stem, Can It Be Done?

Postby ratatosk » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:10 am

I can't actually answer your question, but somewhere along the way I got the notion that Falcon bits are generally made of a type of nylon. If that's correct, I would imagine that they are injection molded in final form and would not think that it would be very easy to reshape one. But who knows, maybe a hot water bath would do the trick?

good luck.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby BladeBoy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:38 am

ratatosk wrote:I can't actually answer your question, but somewhere along the way I got the notion that Falcon bits are generally made of a type of nylon. If that's correct, I would imagine that they are injection molded in final form and would not think that it would be very easy to reshape one. But who knows, maybe a hot water bath would do the trick?

good luck.

I tried boiling water, didn't do anything.
BladeBoy

Postby vaburp » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:43 am

Yeah, the bits are nylon and won't take a set after heating. Maybe a ring of pipecleaner in the humidome would absorb the moisture and keep it from running up the airway. They sell preformed humidome rings for Falcons, but I just coil half a pipecleaner and place it in the moat.
vaburp

Postby BladeBoy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:28 am

vaburp wrote:Yeah, the bits are nylon and won't take a set after heating. Maybe a ring of pipecleaner in the humidome would absorb the moisture and keep it from running up the airway. They sell preformed humidome rings for Falcons, but I just coil half a pipecleaner and place it in the moat.

Yes, on first smoke last night I didn't realize I didn't put one in, today's smoke went fine with a dry ring, I will be making my own as well, thanks.
BladeBoy

Postby BladeBoy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:52 pm

After doing some research and talking to some other Falcon owners it seems that Falcon Bits are made of Nylon and are injection molded pre shaped and don't respond to being reshaped, so I decided to try and lessen the bent in the aluminum shank instead, with success.
BladeBoy

Postby KevLa » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:09 pm

I've got two bent Falcons: one is an old estate, and the other is a new one that was given* to me by a friend. The former is a lot more bent than the latter.

*A gift. Given to me. Not "gifted" :roll:
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Falconeer » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:55 pm

Sorry all I might have misunderstood PMs first thing this morning as I was suffering!

Thought you were asking about bending the aluminium part of the stem. Can confirm the mouthpiece is of nylon - apart from possibly some early American made stems. You can try looking at the Gun Forums for advice - but I have never found a source of advice that worked.

Might - just - be worth contacting Falco for a replacement mouthpiece or stem.
"I don't think it matters what kind of pipe you smoke, so long as it is well broken in." - Trevor Baylis former Pipe Smoker of the Year
Falconeer

Return to Non-briar pipes