Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Galax-air Meerschaum

Galax-air Meerschaum

Postby pbielicki » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:59 am

I recently was given a Galax-air meerschaum which has a very unique carving. Small holes were drilled all through the exterior top-to-bottom first, then from the side. The result is a grid of clay which "floats" above the clay of the bowl. I've never seen anything like it before. I searched online and found that they were last made in the 70's but cannot find any other information. Does anyone here know anymore about Galax-air pipes?

Paul
pbielicki

Re: Galax-air Meerschaum

Postby KevLa » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:35 am

pbielicki wrote:I recently was given a Galax-air meerschaum which has a very unique carving. Small holes were drilled all through the exterior top-to-bottom first, then from the side. The result is a grid of clay which "floats" above the clay of the bowl. I've never seen anything like it before. I searched online and found that they were last made in the 70's but cannot find any other information. Does anyone here know anymore about Galax-air pipes?

Paul

Sounds fascinating, Paul. Any chance of your posting a photograph or two? :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Dodger » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:00 pm

pbielicki wrote:I recently was given a Galax-air meerschaum which has a very unique carving. Small holes were drilled all through the exterior top-to-bottom first, then from the side. The result is a grid of clay which "floats" above the clay of the bowl. I've never seen anything like it before. I searched online and found that they were last made in the 70's but cannot find any other information. Does anyone here know anymore about Galax-air pipes?

Paul

While not a common style ,because if the difficulty in making them ,there are quite a few about both new and smoked .I do not know the maker though .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby pbielicki » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:37 am

Is there a recommended "best" size for pics on this forum? I'm concerned that the size right out of my phone will be huge.
pbielicki

Postby Dodger » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:21 pm

This style is called a lattice pipe ,BUT most pipes do not have an inner bowl behind the holes .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby pbielicki » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:50 am

Dodger wrote:This style is called a lattice pipe ,BUT most pipes do not have an inner bowl behind the holes .

I also have a lattice meer by AND Meerschaum and the Galax-air is quite different. But I can see why the Galax-air would be called a lattice. It is more lattice-y than my other.
I tried to attach photos but I received a message stating that the board attachment quota had been reached. Does anyne know what that means other than I can't post a photo here?
pbielicki

Postby ratatosk » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:02 am

You don't post pictures here directly, you store them elsewhere and link to them. Have a look at Eric's instructions at http://tampandpuff.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5112

I should also mention that there are some limitations on what new members can do during their first few posts and your image links may not actually work initially. Annoying, but it's an anti-spammer measure.

Go ahead and sort this out and if you your images are not displaying, I can copy them into a reply and they will show up.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby pbielicki » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:31 am

Sounds good. I just created an imgur account and an album with images of my two meers in it. The AND lattice is first and the Galax-air is second. The difference in carving is rather aparrent.
And yes, I know. I need to get smoking these and get some patina to them. They're so delicate, I'm always afraid of smoking them.
pbielicki

Postby ratatosk » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:46 am

well done, my friend, very nice pictures.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Dodger » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:20 am

ratatosk wrote:well done, my friend, very nice pictures.

That is what I meant .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:52 pm

I've got one that's similar to that first one of yours, Paul. My most expensive pipe at about £50, if I remember. My girlfriend bought it for me, not long after I started collecting and smoking pipes. Excellent smoker :)
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby pbielicki » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:21 pm

The first one in my pics is also a great smoker. I enjoy it and need to get it colored up a bit. I don't know what it cost though. A present from my father. We bond over pipe smoking and Formula 1.
Do you know anything about the Galax-air line of pipes? I'm trying to find out more history but all I know is they were made in the 70's.
pbielicki

Postby KevLa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:39 pm

pbielicki wrote:The first one in my pics is also a great smoker. I enjoy it and need to get it colored up a bit. I don't know what it cost though. A present from my father. We bond over pipe smoking and Formula 1...

That's cool.
...Do you know anything about the Galax-air line of pipes? I'm trying to find out more history but all I know is they were made in the 70's.

I'm afraid not. I think there are lots of pipes that look like ours, without belonging to a specific line or being the work of a specific craftsman. They're fairly common, I think. I haven't before seen one like that in your third and fourth photographs, though. So, there's a gap between an inner and outer bowl, right? Nice! :)
KevLa

Postby pbielicki » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:54 pm

There is a gap. I suspect they carved it by drilling from the top of the pipe down to the bottom, all around the rim. Then they came back and drilled from the sides. It looks as though it was rather lbor intensive, but then, most meers are. Aren't they?
pbielicki

Postby KevLa » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:26 pm

pbielicki wrote:...It looks as though it was rather lbor intensive, but then, most meers are. Aren't they?

If you include the mining, polishing and everything, I suppose so. Certainly, decorative carving of meerschaum has to be considered labour-intensive, yeah :)
KevLa

Postby PuFFaH » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:46 am

It's a bit like those Chinese puzzle balls. Impressive workmanship.
PuFFaH

Postby pbielicki » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:00 pm

PuFFaH wrote:It's a bit like those Chinese puzzle balls. Impressive workmanship.

You're right. I wonder how many failures they have before they get the process down and produce a product they like.
pbielicki

Return to Non-briar pipes