Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Toothpaste

For discussion about creating, restoring, modifying, or maintaining tobacco pipes

Toothpaste

Postby Wizhunter » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:00 pm

Hi Guys
I can't remember if i read this somewhere or i dreamt it, although i like pipes i'm not sure i dream about them lol. Anyway is it true that toothpaste is good for cleaning pipe rim's that are charred,i'm pretty sure i read it somewhere and it's the whitening toothpaste that's the best,don't tell me i'm going mad please.

Wiz :D
Wizhunter

Re: Toothpaste

Postby daveinlax » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:43 pm

Nothing will fix a charred rim but if it's just normal rim darkening whitening toothpaste will work. With multiple applications and a little elbow grease it will remove oxidation on stems too. :ugeek:
daveinlax

Postby Wizhunter » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:08 pm

Maybe charring was a too strong word, i am talking when you get a build up of like the sugar etc that comes with burning tobacco if that makes sense, it actually looks like a burnt rim but you can pick at it with your fingernail and it will come off.

Wiz
Wizhunter

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:37 pm

I’ve not tried toothpaste on the briar, but I’ve certainly heard of its effectiveness on stems. For briar rims, have you tried saliva? Apply some wth your finger and use a cotton bud to massage. The stains will lift off, unless, of course, they are charred. Then rub a cloth over it (I take a short cut here and vigorously rub the rim on the sleeve of an old fleece that I wear as a smoking jacket! I use several cotton buds if I’ve left a rim to get badly infected...
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:22 am

For the most part, I've found that Universal Solvent (i.e., human spit) generously applied to a finger tip will take most of it away with some vigorous rubbing, The rest generally comes off if you bend a pipe cleaner in two and wet the bow, then rub gently with your thumb on top of the cleaner.

I personally don't care too much about going beyond that, a rim is going to darken with smoking regardless of what you do and I'm okay with that. But if you wanted to keep things pristine, I imagine that you'd have to clean it up after every smoke and then apply some wax, I just don't see it as worth the bother.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:14 am

ratatosk wrote:For the most part, I've found that Universal Solvent (i.e., human spit) generously applied to a finger tip will take most of it away with some vigorous rubbing, The rest generally comes off if you bend a pipe cleaner in two and wet the bow, then rub gently with your thumb on top of the cleaner.

I personally don't care too much about going beyond that, a rim is going to darken with smoking regardless of what you do and I'm okay with that. But if you wanted to keep things pristine, I imagine that you'd have to clean it up after every smoke and then apply some wax, I just don't see it as worth the bother.

I concur with all of that, Richard :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:29 am

KevLa wrote:
ratatosk wrote:For the most part, I've found that Universal Solvent (i.e., human spit) generously applied to a finger tip will take most of it away with some vigorous rubbing, The rest generally comes off if you bend a pipe cleaner in two and wet the bow, then rub gently with your thumb on top of the cleaner.

I concur with all of that, Richard :)

You Philistines, you!
I think I agree as well, though! Try and keep them decent enough, but I’ve not the time to devote hours of loving attention...
I know a pipesmoker here who keeps all his pipes (mainly Dunhills and Ashton’s) in immaculate condition. I don’t know how he does it. I think he has a buffing machine through which he runs the stems every now and then. The rims look like shop condition, yet he smokes them all regularly.
So long as we love smoking them and clean them regularly on the inside as well as a bit of care on the outside, I’m happy.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Postby Wizhunter » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:09 pm

I asked the question because i had seen an Eldorado on ebay at a really fair price and the rim looked really caked and i wasn't sure wether to buy it, if i could remove the cake and tidy up the rim, in my eyes it would be my bargain of the month.I have never done pipe restoration and just read somewhere that toothpaste was pretty good if you wanted to keep the original finish.I have become addicted to Dr Grabows for some reason, maybe it's the bad rep they get.

Wiz
Wizhunter

Postby KevLa » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:46 pm

Yes, I have two Dr. Grabows and they're both fine pipes :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Return to Pipe Making and Maintenance