Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Who You Gonna Call? (Adventures in Exorcism of Ghosts)

For discussion about creating, restoring, modifying, or maintaining tobacco pipes

Who You Gonna Call? (Adventures in Exorcism of Ghosts)

Postby Malcolm » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:26 pm

My pipes have been tasting bad for quite some time; much longer than I care to admit. I'd tried all the recommended cleaning methods to no avail and had assumed this was just normal. (I smoke mostly Latakia blends, and I imagine this is part of the reason my pipes ghosted so strongly...it’s just so dang good.) I finally decided I'd had enough. The ghost was going to leave no matter what, or I’d have to buy some new pipes.

I started by trying the alcohol/salt thing and also reamed pretty much all the cake from my two most troublesome pipes. They still smelled and tasted strong when I drew through them.

So I tried the method recommended by the venerable Greg Pease, wherein one fills the pipe with activated carbon and then bakes it (sans stem, of course) around 200° F. I baked mine much longer than recommended—8 hours. They smelled better, but upon lighting a Virginia blend, they still tasted strongly of horribleness. So I tried the salt/alcohol thing again. And once again, this failed.

Finally, I decided to try a combination of the two methods. Activated carbon makes a lot of sense for pipe cleaning. So I filled the bowls with activated carbon and isopropyl (I know, I know) and left them overnight. The next morning, I emptied them, rinsed them, and let them dry for several hours. I smoked them both that afternoon.

Both pipes are once again marvelous. Or rather, the tobacco I smoked in them could be identified as marvelous in the absence of the Ghost of Blends Past. I’m calling it a success.

Hopefully this method might help others too. I know I’ll use it again in the future.
Malcolm

Re: Who You Gonna Call? (Adventures in Exorcism of Ghosts)

Postby Dodger » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:40 pm

This is the reason I dedicate pipes to particular blends .I understand my way is not for for everyone for various reasons and hope that yours continues to work for you .
Last edited by Dodger on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Who You Gonna Call? (Adventures in Exorcism of Ghosts)

Postby acaciavet » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:34 pm

I have never found a spook that three or four bowls of PA would not chase away!
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Return to Pipe Making and Maintenance