Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Pipes Made From Appletree Wood

For discussion about creating, restoring, modifying, or maintaining tobacco pipes

Pipes Made From Appletree Wood

Postby timgoodwin » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:16 pm

I have a lot of cold weather apple trees where I live and the wood is pretty hard. Would it make an ok or good wood for a pipe you think or not?
Live your life and let others live theirs. It's that simple.
timgoodwin

Re: Pipes Made From Appletree Wood

Postby TigerJack » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:20 am

Yes Sir, It would make a fine pipe & as far as that goes most fruit tree wood does, I have made plum, cherry, Mulberry , & Pear wood pipes . I know a gent that has made apple wood pipes and he says they smoke great. The trick is aging it a few years before making the pipe from the wood, never use new/green un-aged wood.G'Day Sir.
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Postby timgoodwin » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:11 pm

[quote="brim325"]Yes Sir, It would make a fine pipe & as far as that goes most fruit tree wood does, I have made plum, cherry, Mulberry , & Pear wood pipes . I know a gent that has made apple wood pipes and he says they smoke great. The trick is aging it a few years before making the pipe from the wood, never use new/green un-aged wood.G'Day Sir.[/quote]
Excellent. I have some great trees here that I cut the wood over three years ago and was going to carve out a new one soon. Would the knot be best or just any part? What about the finish, I thought just rubbing it with natural oils to bring out the grain. Last, where do I get stems? Where I live there are no pipe supply places.
timgoodwin

Postby vaburp » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:41 pm

vaburp

Postby TigerJack » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:28 pm

Hi , The burl would be a better part of the tree but sometimes there are a lot of faults in burl , but I would say try both. After you make the pipe put a honey coat in the bowl and fill with activated charcoal powder and let set for 5 minutes and then dump excess charcoal out & let the bowl coating cure for 3 to 4 days & your good to go. Anyway good luck & let us know how it goes.
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Postby timgoodwin » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:25 pm

Have tried to post pictures of the pipe I made but can't seem to get it done. What do I do? Any help. I changed my profile picture also. It's a picture of me and my little dog Weebee. We've been together for over 14 years now. Later. Tim
timgoodwin

Return to Pipe Making and Maintenance