Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Restoring a Nording

For discussion about creating, restoring, modifying, or maintaining tobacco pipes

Restoring a Nording

Postby butterspread » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:46 am

Hi comrades,
I aqcuired by means of eBay purchase an estate Nording. It needs some work.
I think I can handle the bowl and the rim, got my Isopropanol and non-iodized salt so it will be fairly straight forward.

What I need help with is the stem.
The seller seems to have looked after this pipe and it came quite 'waxy' to touch. The stem likewise was quite greasy. I notice it is a bit oxidized and I can see the difference between the part that is covered by shank and the rest of it.
I want to restore it but your usual oxiclean doesn't seem to be available here in UK. What product should I use?

Any advice from my fellow UK pipe smokers and restorers will be greatly appreciated.

Regards.
B.
butterspread

Re: Restoring a Nording

Postby SidStavros » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:07 am

In ebay purchases many times the mouthpiece is full of wax or oil so will look good in the photo to lure the customer. A photo of your mouthpiece could help to see in what condition really is, do you want to keep the logo? Do you have buffing wheels?
SidStavros

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:58 pm

Savinelli do a good stem polish, slightly greasy but works fine. Denicare (got mine from GQ, I think) is a little grittier and does a decent job. I don't have a buffing wheel; this would probably do the trick, though. Any help?
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby butterspread » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:01 pm

Here is a link to an album with some pictures https://goo.gl/photos/H12ihd3xSdC7P3ZM8
As you can see the bowl is rather okay, just need some good salt/alcohol treatment.
The mouthpiece is also in good shape but I want to get it back to black?
Would magic eraser do the job? Or do I need to sand it down and then polish and buff?
butterspread

Postby KevinM » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:46 am

Try wet sanding by hand with 1000 grit or higher under a faucet. Keep at it til the stem is black. You can finish by using a car buffing compound. Apply, let dry, then gently buff with a clean soft cloth. I have used magic eraser with decent success, but be patient as it may take awhile. Best of luck with the restoration!
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Pipe Making and Maintenance