Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Restoring a Mr Brog via Blakemar Briars

For discussion about creating, restoring, modifying, or maintaining tobacco pipes

Restoring a Mr Brog via Blakemar Briars

Postby butterspread » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:55 am

Start with pictures. http://imgur.com/a/GyNkc

So my trusty Mr Brog needed a new mouthpiece. Brogs are known to have low quality mouthpieces and it is not an issue to buy replacements but they would be of the same low quality. So I decided to send the pipe off to one of our British repair shops.

Mike at Blakemar Briars provided me with a quote for a new acrylic stem. Since I was at it I thought why not get the thing restained since the colour wasn't too atractice and it was chipping off on the rim. All in all my quote was for about £35 including return shipping.

Well, I got the pipe back yesterday and I must say I am trully delighted. The mouthpiece looks solid but most importantly the grain is so much more exposed. The previous coating was so ugly and I didn't realize how bad it was until I had the pipe done properly. If you have pipes that need some care but are good smokers, send them away for a repair. It is so much worth it.
butterspread

Re: Restoring a Mr Brog via Blakemar Briars

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:38 am

Mike has a very good reputation amongst, at least, British pipe smokers. Nothing seems too much trouble and he has repaired or restored so many pipes to customers' satisfaction. He is a real treasure. I visited his workshop and it is quite amazing. If folk are able to go, he also sells pipes that he makes and a large range of tobaccos, plus you are able to smoke there too.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Return to Pipe Making and Maintenance