Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Coconut Oil

For discussion about creating, restoring, modifying, or maintaining tobacco pipes

Coconut Oil

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:02 am

A member of the Pipe Club of London has given some advice on treating stems and mouthpieces that look a bit jaded. Use Coconut Oil to restore the shine.
I actually had some of this Oil as I'd been bought it by a friend for some skin irritation. It is in fact solid in the jar. When a small amount is rubbed between fingertips, it almost instantly 'melts' and can then be applied.
I've treated a number of my pipes with this Oil and it certainly does the trick, bringing back a lovely sheen to the surface.
A very small amount is required.
I have no idea of the scientific properties but I can say that it works.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: Coconut Oil

Postby daveinlax » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:18 am

I'm a lapsed PCoL member but IMO all you are doing is shining up the oxidation. I would polish the stem with something with some grit, many collectors take the time using whitening toothpaste over and over. There are countless methods of removing oxidation but many remove rubber and the pipes original lines too. Then use something with UV protection like chapstick to prevent it from oxidizing again. I keep my Dunhill and other vulcanite stems in sleeves and boxes. :ugeek:
daveinlax

Postby KevLa » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:09 am

I only bother with scraping away oxidisation if it bothers me, usually if I can taste it. Sebum suffices, mostly. Life's too short to spend giving even half-f*cks about what sad, judgemental, little cretins think about the colour of my pipe's stem! :D
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Dodger » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:30 pm

KevLa wrote:I only bother with scraping away oxidisation if it bothers me, usually if I can taste it. Sebum suffices, mostly. Life's too short to spend giving even half-f*cks about what sad, judgemental, little cretins think about the colour of my pipe's stem! :D

Works for me .
Edit .
It also stops strangers from putting your pipe in their mouths .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:41 pm

Haha! I suppose so ;)
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:20 am

A lively discussion! As I don't have a buffing wheel, I'm content with the current status of things.
Enjoy your pipes today.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby FlakedOut » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:37 pm

I just use these 2 items... the eraser takes longer than you think though... but it does remove all the crud ;)

FlakedOut
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:57 am

I've heard of these erasers. Must see if they are obtainable here. Thanks for the tips.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby FlakedOut » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:42 pm

Geo3rge wrote:I've heard of these erasers. Must see if they are obtainable here. Thanks for the tips.
Steve

I haven't seen any main-stream Supermarket that DOESN'T have them, Steve... I think the last ones I bought were 'Flash...'
Just cut into strips and make sure they are damp - tear-off the brown cruddy end piece after a while and continue. Once happy with the finish you can use a dry piece, wipe off the dust, then seal it with oils, waxes etc.

FlakedOut
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:29 am

Very much appreciated. I've not had the gumption to consider these things, so a nice bit of advice. A few of my stems, from some old secondhand pipes, are in dire need of a good rub, so this will be just the thing. I will have a look out and get a few!
Hope you have a great day and a few good pipes along the way.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby SidStavros » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:05 am

Geo3rge wrote:A member of the Pipe Club of London has given some advice on treating stems and mouthpieces that look a bit jaded. Use Coconut Oil to restore the shine.

I use Coconut Oil [for external use] for my bowls and i use Coconut Oil [internal use] for my mouthpieces. Both of them work excellent so i strongly advise you to use them, no problems at all my dear Steve. ;)
SidStavros

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:02 pm

Sid,
Many thanks for your post. That's encouraging. I've been using it regularly on the stems. But I didn't realise it could be applied to bowls as well, and also on the interior of the stem. I'll give it a go.
Appreciated.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby SidStavros » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:24 pm

Geo3rge wrote: and also on the interior of the stem.

Inside the mouthpiece for what reason? I wouldn't do that!
There are 2 kinds of Coconut Oil here in Greece, one for external use [you can spread the pipe's bowl]) and another for internal use [consumption, you can spread the mouthpiece]. Don't wipe them immediately my dear Steve, let them "work" first.
SidStavros

Postby Geo3rge » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:27 am

SidStavros wrote:
Geo3rge wrote: and also on the interior of the stem.

Inside the mouthpiece for what reason? I wouldn't do that!
There are 2 kinds of Coconut Oil here in Greece, one for external use [you can spread the pipe's bowl]) and another for internal use [consumption, you can spread the mouthpiece]. Don't wipe them immediately my dear Steve, let them "work" first.

Ho, Ho...I had this vision of you coating a pipe cleaner with the oil. Clearly not!
Appreciate the advice about leaving it on the surface for a while.
Have a good day, Sid.
Geo3rge

Postby TigerJack » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:28 pm

I have used extra virgin coconut oil for years , does a great job. G'Day
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Postby George » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:22 pm

I've bought some estate pipes from eBay that had badly oxidised stems, and use those Magic Eraser sponges to clean them up (although I've also heard toothpaste works well). Then to bring up the shine, I use pretty much all sorts.. butter, lard, olive oil, furniture polish (with beeswax), car polish (with canuba wax), vaseline, etc. They all work. Anything with an oily or fatty or waxy ingredient will bring up the shine and leave a thin barrier to slow down further oxidisation. However, I mostly use the same canuba wax I use to polish the bowl.
Quidquid latine dictum, altum videtur.
George

Postby SidStavros » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:31 am

George wrote: furniture polish (with beeswax), car polish (with canuba wax)

I strongly disagree sir, what is good for out furniture or car bumper-dash board does not make it properly to touch our lips. No matter if a product can remove oxidation etc does not means is good to get mixed with our saliva and end-up inside us.
Look for example the Danish Oil, many pipe makers use it to shine their bowl but read the label in a Danish Oil can, says it's not for wooden kid toys [because the kids maybe bite it or touch it with their lips]. No matter if it gives a shiny look in our pipes technically must not touch our lips but who is the pipe smoker that it will not touch his face or lips with the same hand that was holding his warm pipe?
In those modern times that we live we must be careful with all these chemical around us.
SidStavros

Postby KevLa » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:35 am

I agree with you completely, Sid!
Some people might think it disgusting that I use my own sebum from my nose or forehead, but I couldn't care less; at least I'm not poisoning myself :)
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:09 pm

Remind me not to puff on one of your pipes, Kev...
S
Geo3rge

Postby George » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:11 pm

SidStavros wrote:
George wrote: furniture polish (with beeswax), car polish (with canuba wax)

I strongly disagree sir, what is good for out furniture or car bumper-dash board does not make it properly to touch our lips

You are perfectly welcome to disagree. We all have our own little foibles and quirks and do our own thing.
Smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol are probably far more unhealthy than using polish on one's pipe stem.
Quidquid latine dictum, altum videtur.
George

Next

Return to Pipe Making and Maintenance