Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Pipe Making and Attitudes

For discussion about creating, restoring, modifying, or maintaining tobacco pipes

Pipe Making and Attitudes

Postby Penn25 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:06 pm

Is it important for a pipe maker to possess an ego and attitude as well as skill in order to be successful?
Penn25

Re: Pipe Making and Attitudes

Postby Bob » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:15 am

Absolutely not. Almost every really good pipe maker I know is humble and pretty much just another pipe smoker. 99% just make a living at it. They're not in it for the money. Of course there are a few exceptions that make pipes nobody wants to buy.

Have you had a recent bad experience?
Bob
Bob
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby Penn25 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:32 am

If I did I wouldn't mention it. Not out to grind an axe just curious. I have seen craftsmen in other creative endeavors that tended to be overly impressed with their skills though.
Penn25

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:12 pm

Interesting topic here. The only pipe makers I've met and know a little about are all decent, unassuming types, but incredibly skilful at their job. Their quiet assumption of their own skill is there no doubt, otherwise they wouldn't be doing the job, but I haven't seen any blatant own trumpet-blowing along the way. Quite the reverse, in fact. Their products speak for them, I feel, more than their egos.
G.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Postby acaciavet » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:34 pm

I have not experienced that. You want attitude go to Starbucks,these Baristos think they are finding a cure for Ebola! This is why I do Dunkin.
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Penn25 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:35 pm

acaciavet wrote:I have not experienced that. You want attitude go to Starbucks,these Baristos think they are finding a cure for Ebola! This is why I do Dunkin.

I agree100%! Some remind me of the soup nazi from Seinfeld.
Penn25

Postby Penn25 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:39 pm

I have done silver jewelry, custom fishing rods and other things. It has been my experience that the less talented tend to think more of their work than others do. Thanks for your responses.
Penn25

Postby Sayers » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:14 pm

I've only dealt with a couple of pipe makers and it was a great experience.. Each time having a custom pipe made.. Very exciting moment :D Unfortunately it doesn't happen that often !!
"A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child."
Sayers

Postby ratatosk » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:47 am

The only time that I have actually had a bespoke pipe made was with Rad Davis last year and he delivered exactly what I wanted, actually a few weeks ahead of his estimate. I've never met him, but seemed like a nice enough guy in email. Fine smoking pipe, but...

I've got to say that the Dunhills and Castellos that I've bought since then are better smokers thus far. That doesn't reflect on Rad so much as the briar he has access to I think, the big hitters probably have first shot at most of the good stuff and then cure it for a decade, he has to do with what he can buy and go from there.

So no more bespoke (he said). ;)
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby 4nogginsmike » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:28 pm

I regard Mr. Davis' work with awe; if I had the money I'd buy from him ahead of a lot of others' work. Sorry it didn't work out for you.
Pipe smoking: the most cultivated taking of tobacco; a good friend and a sublime addiction; but give me a cigar, too. But so expensive: smoke up and smoke less.
4nogginsmike

Postby PuFFaH » Sun May 03, 2015 7:48 pm

Lee Von Erk is the only bespoke pipe maker I bought from. They smoke well but the finish leaves a lot to be desired. He oil cures the briar to overcome the lower quality briar I think and it helps.
PuFFaH

Postby 4nogginsmike » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:52 pm

Lee von Erck's work looks like no one else's. He lives, I believe, in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in the US in solitude. And does awesome work! I wager that when he is no more, his pipes will be highly collectible, on the order of Connoisseur.
Pipe smoking: the most cultivated taking of tobacco; a good friend and a sublime addiction; but give me a cigar, too. But so expensive: smoke up and smoke less.
4nogginsmike

Postby CodgerBriar » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:00 am

Bearing in mind that nothing is going to taste like a well-smoked old vintage briar (which is why I "collect" & smoke them), I would highly recommend Todd Bannard (who goes by "Sasquatch" on the various pipe boards). briarsweatandtears@gmail.com (He had a website 'til somebody hacked it; googling will bring up pipes of his various merchants are offering).

He made me my dream pipe to celebrate retiring and after 2.5 years; it's right up there with the 1997 Castello in taste, workmanship, briar and smoking qualities. That's going some.

FWIW
CodgerBriar

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:39 am

Glad you enjoy these pipes. I can single out a couple from the UK. Ian Walker of Northern Briars makes excellent pipes that display decades of experience and craft skills. I have several of his pipes and each gives a superlative smoke. Lightweight, thick walled and superbly made. Chris Askwith is another, producing finely crafted pipes that bear the stamp of originality and flair.
As to the title of this thread, I've recently come across some interesting attitudes to the good old Falcon, a favourite of mine. A couple of fellow pipers simply refuse to accept it as a pipe. Granted it has not the elegance or beauty of a handcrafted briar, but it has a decent, honest, unpretentious look that appeals and which consistently wins in the smoking stakes. For me, a good, basic pipe that does the trick.

Well, whatever pipe you are smoking today, enjoy it.
Stev
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Return to Pipe Making and Maintenance