Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

T&P 2013 POY

T&P 2013 POY

Postby cakeanddottle » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:15 pm

***ORDERS ARE CLOSED***
Gentlemen I am thrilled to officially announce the Tamp & Puff 2013 Pipe of the Year.

Les Wood, formerly of Dunhill and the man behind Ferndown pipes, has graciously said yes to my request to do this year's T&P POY. It's a special thrill for me, because while I collect a handful of artisans, Les is my single favorite pipe maker. The shaping and finishing of Les' pipes is simply stunning, and Ferndown pipes sport the nicest stems I've ever stuck between my teeth. Soft and resistant to tooth marks and oxidation like no other vulcanite stem I've used. They're a joy. Lastly, Les has done silver work for Dunhill, Ashton, James Upshall, Astleys and his own Ferndown pipes. No Ferndown pipe is complete without one of Les' silver bands, and our POY will sport a 10mm silver band.

The pipe is a straight Dublin as shown above, with the exception that our pipe will have a Cumberland stem. Sorry, I looked forever for a Bark finish Dublin with a Cumberland stem online and struck out. For educational purposes only please enjoy this photo of a Ferndown pipe with a Cumberland stem :lol:

The specifics of the T&P 2013 POY are as follows:
3* size (group 6)
Bark finish
10mm silver band
Cumberland stem
Les is looking into a one-off stamp to personalize it for us, but don't hold your breath as the cost of stamps is prohibitive. It will or won't have T&P 2013 POY stamped on it. I'll let you know if this changes.

The approximate dimensions of the T&P 2013 POY are as follows:
6.25"/157mm overall length
13/16"/20mm bore
1 3/4"/45mm chamber depth
70g weight

PM me for pricing details, but this information will be strictly between you and me. There will be no mention of the price of our T&P 2013 POY in this thread, and I must insist that we respect Les' wishes by making no mention of it here or elsewhere. He is graciously offering to do our POY, and giving us a fantastic price. Let's show how much we appreciate it by observing his request and keeping this detail confidential.

The price of the T&P 2013 POY is in British Pounds Sterling, so I ask that non-UK members work with me if there is some weird fluctuation in exchange rate between the time you pay and October 1st when the POY is finalized and payment sent to Les. Conversely, if there is a big swing in favor of non-UK members I will send a rebate to you for the amount. When non-UK members PM me for pricing they will receive today's exchange rate. Please send me another PM prior to remitting payment to confirm the final price based on that day's exchange rate.

US members will be receiving the pipe via insured USPS Priority Mail, and I will add the shipping price to the quote I give you. UK members get the sweetest deal and will pay a little less than the rest of us. Members who do not reside in either the US or the UK will be getting the pipe via insured international priority mail, and this is going to add some to the cost. I will give final quotes to those members based on what the post office tells me when the time comes. It's still a good deal, even with the added shipping cost.

The T&P 2013 POY represents an amazing opportunity for our membership. If you have not owned a Ferndown pipe, this is a chance for you to find out just how good they are at a price that you may not believe. Because of the very generous price Les has given us on our POY, I am adding the stipulation that you must have become a member of Tamp & Puff prior to August 22, 2012 to order one. Also, for our UK members we've come up with a solution that will allow you to order without fear of customs penalty.

You can PM me to have yourself put on the sign up list, which will appear at the bottom of this post.
The cutoff date for sending me payment via Paypal is Monday October 1st.
The cutoff date for personal checks is Saturday Sept. 15th.

Payment details:
I will take payment via Paypal. PM me for my Paypal account. In order to send me the funds without me getting a transaction fee, follow the following steps:
1. login to Paypal
2. select the Send Money tab at the top
3. click the Personal tab
4. select Gift
5. use Paypal funds or bank account
6. credit card orders add $4.50 for the Paypal transaction fee
If you do the previous steps I will not get charged a fee that I have to pass on to you. To send me money this way, you must send the funds from your Paypal balance or directly from your bank account. These are selectable options when you are making the payment. If you are paying via credit card I will get charged a fee, which I will then turn around and bill you for. Just follow the steps and everyone's happy :lol:
For those who absolutely don't use Paypal I will accept your personal check.

I am really thrilled that Les was willing to do our POY and I hope you're as excited as I am!

Members who have signed up for a T&P 2013 POY, payment received denoted by **:
**cakeanddottle 08/27, 08/27
kdj70 08/27
ragefather 08/27
HalfPipeHalfChimp 08/27
aquaholic 08/27
RompinDonkey 08/27
**PufferBilly 08/27, 08/30
Hermit 08/27
drl 08/27
SenatorXMG 08/27
tstryk 08/27
dbreazeale 08/27
Muddler 08/27
edlye 08/27
KevinP 08/27
winston 08/27
FlatbushPaul 08/28
Taspiper 08/28
kensg 08/28
Smokedrift 08/28
acaciavet 08/28
nadam35 08/28
Smoker99 08/28
calipuffer 08/28
kats 08/28
englanddave 08/28

Reserve list:
barredbenny
Slickheadhunter
BackyardBushman
DaveT
Last edited by cakeanddottle on Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:20 pm, edited 49 times in total.
~Mike
I would find the removal of CH to be akin to removal of oxygen from the atmosphere -morleysson
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives -Ronald Reagan
cakeanddottle

Re: T&P 2013 POY

Postby cakeanddottle » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:57 am

I'm really glad you guys like the shape. I wanted to make it easy on Les and do something that appealed to the most members. If it was my choice we'd be getting a partially rusticated panel billiard, but I think the straight Dublin has more universal appeal :D

This pipe is going to kick ass with a Cumberland stem on it!
~Mike
I would find the removal of CH to be akin to removal of oxygen from the atmosphere -morleysson
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives -Ronald Reagan
cakeanddottle

Postby cakeanddottle » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:05 am

the Dublin is my single favorite shape, so I am not too sad about the choice :D
~Mike
cakeanddottle

Postby cakeanddottle » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:33 am

bearded1 wrote:Is it gonna be black? It's sure a pretty shape, but black is not my favorite finish and im not sure how it would look with a Cumberland stem.

Yes, the Bark finish is black
~Mike
cakeanddottle

Postby cakeanddottle » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:37 am

SenatorXMG wrote:One quick question:

What is the anticipated shipping date of the POY? Any chance we'd have them by Christmas? :D

They should be here for Xmas, that's why I picked a cutoff date 6 weeks from now. You'll be the first to know if that changes, but it sounded to me like Les was going to start early on these.
~Mike
cakeanddottle

Postby cakeanddottle » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:09 am

bearded1 wrote:maybe an ignorant question...will this be a Ferndown pipe then?

man, this is tempting.

Yep.
~Mike
cakeanddottle

Postby cakeanddottle » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:17 am

bearded1 wrote:
cakeanddottle wrote:
bearded1 wrote:maybe an ignorant question...will this be a Ferndown pipe then?

man, this is tempting.

Yep.

thanks again Mike.

Np Paul

~Mike
cakeanddottle

Postby cakeanddottle » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:30 am

Would anyone have any objections if I changed the cutoff date from Oct 10 to Oct 1?

I wouldn't change the timetable again, it just seems like that's plenty of time for people to sign up and get the $ sorted out. Let me know if you object to me doing so.
~Mike
cakeanddottle

Postby cakeanddottle » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:16 am

Cutoff date changed to Monday October 1st. That is carved in stone and won't change again.
~Mike
cakeanddottle

Postby cakeanddottle » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:42 am

Payment instructions added to original post.
~Mike
cakeanddottle

Postby SenatorXMG » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:38 pm

I've seen a lot of the Ferndown barks with a smooth rim top in brown stain...this ties in with the colour of the cumberland stem making for a nice looking combination.

Mike, do you know if this will have smooth rim?
Bryan
SenatorXMG

Postby cakeanddottle » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:40 pm

Originally I wanted 4 stem options, Les asked for 1. I think a square shank with a black saddle stem would be awesome, hell they all look good. Ultimately I opted for a stem that will appeal to the most members, and zipped it up a little by choosing Cumberland.

Ferndown Bark pipes look great with Cumberland stems, here are a couple to get an idea:

~Mike
cakeanddottle

Postby cakeanddottle » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:41 pm

SenatorXMG wrote:I've seen a lot of the Ferndown barks with a smooth rim top in brown stain...this ties in with the colour of the cumberland stem making for a nice looking combination.

Mike, do you know if this will have smooth rim?

yes, it will have the smooth Reo rim, which is a dark red-brown
~Mike
cakeanddottle

Postby cakeanddottle » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:14 pm

12toneman wrote:mike-- thumbs up. those look terrific.

btw, wasn't there a T&P stamp made for last year's POY? could it be reused?

Bob could answer that. If there is one, I would send it to Les so we could have a stamped silver band.
~Mike
cakeanddottle

Postby cakeanddottle » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:03 pm

I got a quote for a stamp that puts us in the $130-150 ballpark just for the stamp. That's a one-off stamp that would have to be changed every year if we wanted the year in the stamping. I think we should rely on the pipemaker when it comes to personalization.

This POY came together very quickly. If Les gets a deal from his stamp maker and passes it on to us by a slight bump in price, great, but I don't want to collect donations for a stamp that a) I don't know how long is going to take to get made and sent to me, b) that I then have to send to the UK, and c) I am guessing what is best for Les to use in terms of size when he is the one that does this every day and knows this stuff in a way I do not.

My personal feeling about the personalization is that it would be nice, but it isn't a deal breaker for me. I will know that my pipe is the T&P 2013 POY without the stamp, and I'd rather have a POY from Les with no stamp than a POY by someone else with a stamp. Like I said in the OP, it will or won't have one. My $.02
~Mike
cakeanddottle

Postby eric » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:10 pm

FlakedOut wrote:Surely this is all slightly meaningless if the pipe doesn't carry the T&P logo or mark...:-?

Good question. Sorry to say I haven't followed this project - Bob handled the last one brilliantly and I put my trust in Mike to do the same, and Mike has been handling this project on his own. So forgive me if I'm missing something.

If the pipes have no stamp, no marking, or no indication saying anything about T&P then I don't see how they are T&P Pipe of the Year. Rather, they are an exclusive deal on pipes from a great artisan. And that's a wonderful thing, but how is it T&P POY? But that's just my opinion. I can't afford one either way. If the membership perceives them as the T&P POY even with no indication on the pipe of such, its fine by me. I'm not a dictator and I greatly appreciate Mike's enthusiasm, time, and effort towards this project.

My Tinsky POY says "T&P 2012".
Eric

Subscribe to SPT Email Updates and stay up to date on the latest pipe tobacco news, reviews, and discussion from SmokingPipeTobacco.com.
Follow me on Facebook

About my 130lb weight loss four years ago: My NEW book will be out soon!!!
eric
Site Admin

Postby cakeanddottle » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:30 pm

My last thoughts on the subject of the POY stamp.

Yes, it would be preferred. Not a deal breaker, not for me, not when we have the POY that we have this year. Most of you reading this know what an insanely great POY this is. Besides, the door wasn't completely closed on the pipe being stamped, I just advised not to expect it.

The problems faced with making our own stamp are a) no year unless we want to buy a stamp annually, and b) size. Depending on shank, blast, rustication, shape of pipe, silver band....we are talking millimeters. One size doesn't necessarily fit all.

I still feel that a stamp is something best left to the pipe maker. The T&P 2013 POY came together within a matter of days with no prior planning. All things considered it succeeds in more areas than it fails.
~Mike
cakeanddottle

Postby eric » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:04 pm

cakeanddottle wrote:My last thoughts on the subject of the POY stamp.

Yes, it would be preferred. Not a deal breaker, not for me, not when we have the POY that we have this year. Most of you reading this know what an insanely great POY this is. Besides, the door wasn't completely closed on the pipe being stamped, I just advised not to expect it.

The problems faced with making our own stamp are a) no year unless we want to buy a stamp annually, and b) size. Depending on shank, blast, rustication, shape of pipe, silver band....we are talking millimeters. One size doesn't necessarily fit all.

I still feel that a stamp is something best left to the pipe maker. The T&P 2013 POY came together within a matter of days with no prior planning. All things considered it succeeds in more areas than it fails.

Thanks for the clarification Mike. I have a pipe I bought myself as a gift to celebrate my return from deployment to Iraq in 2005. It is not stamped with anything that says anything about Iraq, deployments, or even a date. And yet it will always be my "Iraq pipe."

You have done a great job of not only putting this whole thing together, but also laying out all the facts about it clearly.

I also agree that any stamping or marking should be left to the pipe maker - both for his sake and the new owner's.
Eric

Subscribe to SPT Email Updates and stay up to date on the latest pipe tobacco news, reviews, and discussion from SmokingPipeTobacco.com.
Follow me on Facebook

About my 130lb weight loss four years ago: My NEW book will be out soon!!!
eric
Site Admin

Postby cakeanddottle » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:15 pm

shipping for non-UK members:

USA: This pipe won't fit in a small flat rate box because of the bowl width, so shipping is more than I would have liked.

non-USA: shipping prices are crazy from the States to where you are, but you probably already knew that.

I am shipping these insured as long as your country allows. The actual insurance doesn't add too much to the cost, but the shipping is more than I thought it would be. Just wanted to make mention of it.
~Mike
cakeanddottle

Postby cakeanddottle » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:38 pm

RompinDonkey wrote:Just tell us how much when you know - then I'll have a look in the wife's purse when she isn't looking. :)

UK residents get the best deal. The price I quoted you in PM should be right.
~Mike
cakeanddottle

Next

Return to Pipe of the Year