Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Questions and Answers 2013 Pipe of the Year

Questions and Answers 2013 Pipe of the Year

Postby eric » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:24 pm

Everyone can now post in the PoY 2013 sub forum. I am opening it to everyone. It may turn out that as many members who want pipes can get them. If that's the case I wanted all to be able to discuss things going forward.

If you have any questions about the Pipe of the Year project that are not answered elsewhere in this sub forum, ask them here. Either I, or someone who has first-hand knowledge will answer as soon as possible.

This is not a thread for discussing actions taken by the previous PoY coordinator - its so everyone can be satisfied going forward that they are in the loop. I am pretty much exhausted with the drama surrounding this issue. At the moment it seems we are in receipt of some very good news and the future of the PoY looks bright for everyone. Let's keep looking forward and stay positive. What's in the past is in the past.

Questions I will be asking Les when the appropriate time comes:

Q: Limit on number of pipes he will make?
A: No limit but the more pipes he has to carve, the longer it will take. I told him not to worry about the december deadline.

Q: Choice of stem material/color?
Q: Pipe finish and stain optional?
Q: Customizations allowed on bowl size?

A: No customization options. One pipe.

I will also verify the details about shipping, cost, etc.

Other Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: "I just joined..." or... "I lurk here but rarely/never participate... can I sign up for the pipe?"
A: The plan is for everyone who considers themselves active members to post their interest in the thread, and then when it comes down to finalizing the orders things like join date and participation levels will be considered. Being a forum pipe of the year, its for members, not so much for people who happened across the forum and noticed a potential good deal on a great pipe. Of course, this question by nature involves a lot of grey areas. As necessary, those issues would be determined on a case by case basis.

Q: "So what do you consider an active participating member?"
A: Difficult question to answer. If I said "you have to have X number of posts within the last Y amount of time," people with no meaningful connection to the membership who just wanted a good deal on a pipe would post X number of "me too" type posts within Y amount of time. It could be said that if you have to ask whether you are considered an active member you probably are not. Sorry of this seems harsh, but this project is a exercise in unity and fellowship, and definitely not a money-making venture for anyone connected to Tamp & Puff. So, while we are happy to donate our time and effort to coordinate getting a PoY in the hands of all the active members who want one, speaking for myself, I'm not interested in selling pipes to strangers. Don't be a stranger.

---
Eric

Subscribe to SPT Email Updates and stay up to date on the latest pipe tobacco news, reviews, and discussion from SmokingPipeTobacco.com.
Follow me on Facebook

About my 130lb weight loss four years ago: My NEW book will be out soon!!!
eric
Site Admin

Re: Questions and Answers 2013 Pipe of the Year

Postby PapaBear » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:10 am

Do you think Les would be willing to do an unstained version I.E. Virgin/natural of it?

Take care,

George
George

"We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."

Douglas Adams
PapaBear

Postby eric » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:36 am

PapaBear wrote:Do you think Les would be willing to do an unstained version I.E. Virgin/natural of it?

Take care,

George

Not sure right now. As you know from reading his email I am edging into this slowly. I am starting with the assumption that most of what Mike told us about his negotiations is true. I am not taking such questions off the table but want to proceed with caution when the time is right. I've only been back and forth with Les for a few emails and he seems like a great guy.

Another thought is that if there are 30 different versions of the pipe, that makes things difficult on Les - he'll need to keep straight which goes to whom, and I'll have the same problem.

If you would be happy with the pipe as previously described, pop your name on the list. If getting a natural version is a must-have, I'd hold off on putting your name in the pot until I have more information and get an accurate feel for how flexible Les wants to be.

Because I wasn't allowed to be privy to the earlier negotiations I'm basically starting from scratch while Les already knows everything he has and hasn't agreed to. Once I even out that knowledge gap and get up to speed I'll be in a better position to revisit this question with a more solid answer.

Sorry if it sounds like I am beating around the bush or making excuses. I certainly not saying its impossible. Hope you understand. Please allow me to revisit this question later.

Thanks.
Eric

Subscribe to SPT Email Updates and stay up to date on the latest pipe tobacco news, reviews, and discussion from SmokingPipeTobacco.com.
Follow me on Facebook

eric
Site Admin

Postby edlye » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:20 am

Hi Eric,

Besides the colour choice of black vs brindle/cumberland for the stem as raised in the other thread, can you also find out if acrylic/lucite stems are possible. Thanks.
edlye

Postby bearded1 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:27 am

Do we still have access to the pictures of the pipe? I think that ought to be available somewhere.
-Paul
bearded1

Postby drl » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:31 am

Theyre still there in the locked thread at the bottom of this subforum
Dave
drl

Postby daveinlax » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:32 am

daveinlax

Postby eric » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:35 am

bearded1 wrote:Do we still have access to the pictures of the pipe? I think that ought to be available somewhere.

Yes. With the exception of spam, I very rarely approve of deleting anyone's content. Remember also that Les has said he is going to carve an initial prototype, photograph it, and send the photo to me to post.
Eric

Follow me on Facebook

eric
Site Admin

Postby edlye » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:12 am

Hi Eric,

Seeing the pipe's picture, I went back to the OP to review the original specs presented and saw that the proposed pipe was to be a 3* size (i.e. Dunhill group 6). Will Les be able to accommodate smaller sizes in the same shape (i.e. 1* and 2*) for this project. Seeing that Les only offers his pipes in three sizes will it be possible to just nail down the shape (Dublin in the original specs) and finish (e.g. bark and unstained bark) while opening up the sizing to each member's preference; i.e. the low number in sizes naturally limits complexity in terms of coordination, logistics and production in addition to nailing down the shape and finish. Many thanks.
edlye

Postby eric » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:37 am

edlye wrote:Hi Eric,

Seeing the pipe's picture, I went back to the OP to review the original specs presented and saw that the proposed pipe was to be a 3* size (i.e. Dunhill group 6). Will Les be able to accommodate smaller sizes in the same shape (i.e. 1* and 2*) for this project. Seeing that Les only offers his pipes in three sizes will it be possible to just nail down the shape (Dublin in the original specs) and finish (e.g. bark and unstained bark) while opening up the sizing to each member's preference; i.e. the low number in sizes naturally limits complexity in terms of coordination, logistics and production in addition to nailing down the shape and finish. Many thanks.

I have added this question to my list of questions I will ask Les. See top post. Everyone please keep in mind, Mike may have been telling the truth when he said no customization choices were allowed. I will bring up the questions to Les anyway to verify.

Everyone please review Les's emails in the other thread.
Eric

Follow me on Facebook

eric
Site Admin

Postby HowlinWolf » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:15 pm

Is the original stipulation of 26 pipes maximum, >maybe< a few reserves still in effect?
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby HowlinWolf » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:33 pm

eric wrote: Les has said he is going to carve an initial prototype, photograph it, and send the photo to me to post.

If he could include at least one pic of the pipe held in hand in addition to the usual shot(s), that would be helpful (how big is "big?")
I'm not very good at picturing the size of a pipe based on measurements, and I have a number of pipes that are bigger or smaller than expected to prove it ;)
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby RompinDonkey » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:56 pm

I would like to see a small price increase to cover the cost of a pipe for Eric. This could either be done on a voluntary basis, or as a few dollars added to the cost of each pipe.
Alan

God grant me the Serenity, to buy the bacca that I need;
Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member

Postby kats » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:07 pm

RompinDonkey wrote:I would like to see a small price increase to cover the cost of a pipe for Eric. This could either be done on a voluntary basis, or as a few dollars added to the cost of each pipe.

YES :!:
George
There are three kinds of people in this world... those who can add and those who can't.
kats

Postby eric » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:43 am

Recent updates for Friday:

I will not be limiting signups other than insisting on one per active forum member. Les says "there is no problum as to how many you order the more you order the longer it takes..."

On the issue of stem material, color, size, stamp, etc: No customizations. When I asked Les if we had to stick with one version of the pipe he said "Yes please just one option Ferndown Bark Black M/P 10mm silver band."
Eric

Follow me on Facebook

eric
Site Admin

Postby ragefather » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:49 am

eric wrote:Recent updates for Friday:

I will not be limiting signups other than insisting on one per active forum member. Les says "there is no problum as to how many you order the more you order the longer it takes..."

On the issue of stem material, color, size, stamp, etc: No customizations. When I asked Les if we had to stick with one version of the pipe he said "Yes please just one option Ferndown Bark Black M/P 10mm silver band."

As an original 26er I am more than willing to wait longer so that everyone that wants one can get a pipe.

Does this mean the stem will be black and not cumberland. Personally I like the cumberland better, but it is by no way a dealbreaker for me. Should we take a poll on the size of the pipe? Some have expressed that the three star is too large, perhaps we go with a two star which is in the middle.
ragefather

Postby ChesterCopperpot » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:20 am

ragefather wrote:

As an original 26er I am more than willing to wait longer so that everyone that wants one can get a pipe.

Does this mean the stem will be black and not cumberland. Personally I like the cumberland better, but it is by no way a dealbreaker for me. Should we take a poll on the size of the pipe? Some have expressed that the three star is too large, perhaps we go with a two star which is in the middle.

I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't push it too far. He's (meaning Mr. Wood) already agreed to a few changes, but I wouldn't want to inconvenience him any further.
Last edited by ChesterCopperpot on Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Seth
-------------------------------------------------------------------

"Sorry, sometimes my mouth has a mouth of its own"
ChesterCopperpot

Postby ChesterCopperpot » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:37 am

RompinDonkey wrote:I would like to see a small price increase to cover the cost of a pipe for Eric. This could either be done on a voluntary basis, or as a few dollars added to the cost of each pipe.

+1
- Seth
-------------------------------------------------------------------

"Sorry, sometimes my mouth has a mouth of its own"
ChesterCopperpot

Postby eric » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:49 am

ragefather wrote:

My interpretation was that "black" refers to the color of the pipe. Not the stem. I haven't discussed the stem material with Les.

Your question about the poll and size is a very good one and I've been deliberating on it all day. Literally. I'm really torn. On one hand I really want the membership to have a say in preferences like the size and I believe that before anyone ever went to the carver they should have gotten feedback from the membership. Didn't happen. Water under the bridge. What to do now?

I could open the issue of a size to a poll, and I am open to the idea, but this could potentially piss off some of those who signed up on August 27th and 28th, who signed up for that size, color, etc. Were they down-voted by the new majority it could become a sticky situation.

I know that no single pipe is going to entirely please all who would be potentially interested. My gut feeling right now is to stick with what Mike presented originally so far as color, finish, size, etc. Everyone has had the example picture and details to look at since the 27th of August.

I would like to hear from the original signer-uppers - do you want the size issue open to a vote?

If that happens there will be calls for other options put to a vote. Eventually that could turn into basically starting over from scratch and then the people who originally signed up preferring a black, dublin, cumberland stem, large pipe will be disappointed or worse. That could mean a whole new can of worms and I think everyone has had their fill of worms for now.

There's also the matter of bothering Les talking about more changes. He spent some amount of his time dealing with the previous coordinator. Undoing all that work might not be a good idea.

I'm just thinking out loud. I am not a dictator. I just ask that everyone think of the big picture and think of the others involved and interested in this project.
Eric

Follow me on Facebook

eric
Site Admin

Postby Muddler » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:00 am

eric wrote:I would like to hear from the original signer-uppers - do you want the size issue open to a vote?

Eric,I'm open to a vote. The majority should decide & hold sway. We've embarked on a democratic process-let's see it through.
Mike
Muddler
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Next

Return to Pipe of the Year