Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Questions and Answers 2013 Pipe of the Year

Re: Questions and Answers 2013 Pipe of the Year

Postby edlye » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:53 am

eric wrote:I would like to hear from the original signer-uppers - do you want the size issue open to a vote?

I'm one of the original 26. I'd like to see an open and transparent poll on the pipe size.

Another subject that may be put to an open and transparent poll is the collection of funds to sponsor a pipe for Eric, whether on a voluntary basis or an across the board price increase; i.e. price of pipe divided by total number of pipes (less the one for Eric).
edlye

Postby eric » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:05 am

edlye wrote:
Another subject that may be put to an open and transparent poll is the collection of funds to sponsor a pipe for Eric, whether on a voluntary basis or an across the board price increase; i.e. price of pipe divided by total number of pipes (less the one for Eric).

The idea of an overall price increase to sponsor a pipe for me is not a good idea. I'm truly humbled and grateful for the thought behind it - you are very kind, but even tho I claim I'm not a dictator, the most responsible thing for me to do is insist that we don't even consider making part of the purchase price of the PoY go towards anything for me. That would basically mean that in order for a member to buy a pipe, they have to help buy a gift. It just isn't fair.

Again, I appreciate the kindness - it's just that it almost inevitably would make some forum members uncomfortable.
Eric

Subscribe to SPT Email Updates and stay up to date on the latest pipe tobacco news, reviews, and discussion from SmokingPipeTobacco.com.
Follow me on Facebook

About my 130lb weight loss four years ago: My NEW book will be out soon!!!
eric
Site Admin

Postby edlye » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:29 am

eric wrote:
edlye wrote:

The idea of an overall price increase to sponsor a pipe for me is not a good idea. I'm truly humbled and grateful for the thought behind it - you are very kind, but even tho I claim I'm not a dictator, the most responsible thing for me to do is insist that we don't even consider making part of the purchase price of the PoY go towards anything for me. That would basically mean that in order for a member to buy a pipe, they have to help buy a gift. It just isn't fair.

Again, I appreciate the kindness - it's just that it almost inevitably would make some forum members uncomfortable.

This idea is not mine at all, it had been raised from the beginning and gained some traction from a few members a few posts ago in this thread. I merely brought it forward as a possible poll to consider.

Regardless, since you have made known your discomfort on the matter, I respectfully withdraw the suggestion of the poll.
edlye

Postby eric » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:46 am

edlye wrote:
eric wrote:
edlye wrote:

This idea is not mine at all, it had been raised from the beginning and gained some traction from a few members a few posts ago in this thread. I merely brought it forward as a possible poll to consider.

Regardless, since you have made known your discomfort on the matter, I respectfully withdraw the suggestion of the poll.

Thanks for understanding, and I wasn't singling you out. Refusing something so kind feels rude but I think its best.
Eric

Subscribe to SPT Email Updates and stay up to date on the latest pipe tobacco news, reviews, and discussion from SmokingPipeTobacco.com.
Follow me on Facebook

eric
Site Admin

Postby DaveT » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:09 am

IMHO I think that now that Les has confirmed his preference for no changes to the specification that polling the group regarding size, stem colour etc would just open another can of worms. Certainly for the next one it can be done, but I think this particulr ship has sailed... what happens if 33% want small, 33% want medium and 33% want large? Whatever is chosen will make the majority unhappy and it's not fair to ask Les to make 3 different ones.

Personally, I'd say go with the original proposal... it's what people signed up to.
DaveT

Postby eric » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:32 am

DaveT wrote:IMHO I think that now that Les has confirmed his preference for no changes to the specification that polling the group regarding size, stem colour etc would just open another can of worms. Certainly for the next one it can be done, but I think this particulr ship has sailed... what happens if 33% want small, 33% want medium and 33% want large? Whatever is chosen will make the majority unhappy and it's not fair to ask Les to make 3 different ones.

Personally, I'd say go with the original proposal... it's what people signed up to.

Your concerns match mine. So far the "team" is unanimous in thinking its a bad idea to consider changes like this at this point.
Eric

Follow me on Facebook

eric
Site Admin

Postby HalfPipeHalfChimp » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:06 am

I'm one of the original sign-ups, and while I'm totally happy for a group poll regarding size etc, I too feel that at this stage it's a little unfair on Les to start shifting the goal posts. Esp since he's already agreed not to set a limit to the number he's producing.
HalfPipeHalfChimp

Postby FlatbushPaul » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:36 am

DaveT wrote:IMHO I think that now that Les has confirmed his preference for no changes to the specification that polling the group regarding size, stem colour etc would just open another can of worms. Certainly for the next one it can be done, but I think this particulr ship has sailed... what happens if 33% want small, 33% want medium and 33% want large? Whatever is chosen will make the majority unhappy and it's not fair to ask Les to make 3 different ones.

+1.
Lets not drive Les crazy. Hopefully there will be future pipes and they can be different.

Paul
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation.” Herbert Spencer
FlatbushPaul

Postby SenatorXMG » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:48 am

Also an original 26er...while it would have been appropriate to collect the membership's wants before organizing this pipe, the one presented is the one we signed up for and the one that was agreed to by Les. There are some aspects of the pipe I would change if the doors were open (I. E. stem) ...so, if we're going to reconsider specs at this point, let the floodgates open.

My preference would be to keep the same pipe with the same specs.

I am happy that the numbers are not being limited. Getting my 2013 POY in 2013 seems only appropriate at this time! :-)
Bryan
SenatorXMG

Postby tstryk » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:29 pm

eric wrote:
Your concerns match mine. So far the "team" is unanimous in thinking its a bad idea to consider changes like this at this point.

I agree - leave it as it was. BTW, I took his sentence Black M/P to mean black mouthpiece (stem) - was I wrong on that interpretation?

(Hi Yes please just one option Ferndown Bark Black M/P 10mm silver band Reg Les)

I think we just let him do what he needs to do to supply a pipe for all who want one at the agreed price. I think he is being VERY generous on both of those points!
I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new.

Terry
tstryk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby drl » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:16 pm

On the size issues I personally wouldn't mind either way, but if Eric's concern of rubbing some original signers the wrong way is valid I'd agree its probably not worth it.
Dave
drl

Postby ragefather » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:32 pm

I wasn't trying to open any can of worms by suggesting a poll on size. I just seemed like Les hasn't started anything on these pipes yet, he seems easy going and will make whatever we go with as long as we don't ask for different varieties.

Regarding the fairness of a poll, reading some responses I am now of the opinion that it might not be fair to conduct a poll at this point.
ragefather

Postby acaciavet » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:50 pm

RompinDonkey wrote:I would like to see a small price increase to cover the cost of a pipe for Eric. This could either be done on a voluntary basis, or as a few dollars added to the cost of each pipe.

Dont push the envelope allen. No extra from me old boy from now on I support me.
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby acaciavet » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:57 pm

Just keep it the the way it started great pipe, great shape, great size, great color stem, great price and I am in favor of as many guys getting them as possible I don't need it in my hands by any given date. Here is the way I see it I don't own one now so what is the difference when I get it as long as I get it. We are not curing a disease here we are buying a pipe.! :roll:
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby FlatbushPaul » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:30 pm

acaciavet wrote:Just keep it the the way it started great pipe, great shape, great size, great color stem, great price and I am in favor of as many guys getting them as possible I don't need it in my hands by any given date. Here is the way I see it I don't own one now so what is the difference when I get it as long as I get it. We are not curing a disease here we are buying a pipe.! :roll:

I agree, It's a great looking pipe and I feel certain it will be a great smoker. Let's just get on with it.

Paul
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation.” Herbert Spencer
FlatbushPaul

Postby tstryk » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:51 pm

acaciavet wrote:Just keep it the the way it started great pipe, great shape, great size, great color stem, great price and I am in favor of as many guys getting them as possible I don't need it in my hands by any given date. Here is the way I see it I don't own one now so what is the difference when I get it as long as I get it. We are not curing a disease here we are buying a pipe.! :roll:

+100
I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new.

Terry
tstryk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby eric » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:03 pm

ragefather wrote:I wasn't trying to open any can of worms by suggesting a poll on size. I just seemed like Les hasn't started anything on these pipes yet, he seems easy going and will make whatever we go with as long as we don't ask for different varieties.

Regarding the fairness of a poll, reading some responses I am now of the opinion that it might not be fair to conduct a poll at this point.

Spot on. I believe you are correct in that we could have adjusted the size provided he hasn't began drilling, and I don't think he has. You weren't opening a can of worms, you asked a legitimate question that was on the minds of others too. The question needed to see the light of day and now it has. Thanks for being part of the process.

I am going to extrapolate from the near unanimous response so far that the majority wants to leave everything alone and go with the original.
Eric

Follow me on Facebook

eric
Site Admin

Postby kats » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:03 pm

My vote in the poll (the poll that isn't happening ;) )... let it go as is. Like it, or don't - it's not worth opening up a can of shit again.
George
There are three kinds of people in this world... those who can add and those who can't.
kats

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:04 pm

kats wrote:My vote in the poll (the poll that isn't happening ;) )... let it go as is. Like it, or don't - it's not worth opening up a can of shit again.

+1 :)
Bob
Bob
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby RompinDonkey » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:16 pm

acaciavet wrote:
RompinDonkey wrote:I would like to see a small price increase to cover the cost of a pipe for Eric. This could either be done on a voluntary basis, or as a few dollars added to the cost of each pipe.

Dont push the envelope allen. No extra from me old boy from now on I support me.

Eric has declined the offer already. However I believe that the vast majority of members here are very appreciative of Eric for keeping this Forum running (financially and time wise).

You of course can do what you want to do - you usually do anyway.
Alan

God grant me the Serenity, to buy the bacca that I need;
Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member

PreviousNext

Return to Pipe of the Year