Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

2013 POY Information - As of March 3, 2013

Re: 2013 POY Information - New as of Jan 2013

Postby PufferBilly » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:44 pm

looks good...lets get 'er done.
“A pipe in the mouth makes it clear that there has been no mistake–you are undoubtedly a man.”
-A. A. Milne
PufferBilly

Re: 2013 POY Information - As of March 1, 2013

Postby Bob » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:57 am

Hi guys, I'm .... back. As you may have noticed I haven't been on the forum much the past month but I haven't forgotten about the POY. I've been very busy at work and doing a lot of traveling. I just sent Les a list of questions to get the pipe making moving forward. Here's the list of questions:

1) Right now we have 30 people who want the pipe. 17 members originally signed up and 13 others are on a reserve for a total of 30. We have only promised pipes to the original 17 and told those on the reserve list they may get a pipe if you are willing to make more. How many pipes are you willing to make? What is your upper limit in case others want one? We understand we will get them over a period of time and that's fine.

2) When do you think you will be able to start on the pipes? When can we expect the first lot?

3) Please verify the cost. We will not publish it publicly. I assume the cost you quote does not include shipping which will be on a case by case basis.

4) Do you need any money for each pipe up front before you begin? I assume everyone who signed up will follow through with the purchase but I can't personally guarantee they will. What if someone backs out after you make the pipe? I assume you could easily sell the pipe if that happens. Please let me know your thoughts.

5) How will we pay you? Do you accept PayPal? Will each buyer pay you directly just before you ship to them? I would prefer they pay you directly but I'm willing to collect the money and pass it on to you. This is probably the biggest unknown ... how and when we pay.

6) We would like the pipes stamped either Tamp & Puff 2013 or T&P 2013 (which ever fits best) It doesn't need to be a "stamp" but if you want to use one the moderators at Tamp and Puff are willing to pay for it separately rather than increasing the price of the pipe. If you want to do it by hand that would be fine too. Is there any way to stamp the silver band (just asking)? If you can stamp the band, I'll have to poll the members to get their approval.

So, these are the questions I sent Les and when he responds we should know exactly where we stand. I'm very, very, optimistic that all will go as planned ... and that Les will make 30 or more pipes. Hang in there and please stand by.
Bob
Bob
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby Taspiper » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:04 am

Thanks for the update Bob.
Cheers Rolf

"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs." -Albert Einstein

http://www.acmeengineering.com.au
http://www.rolfhey.com
http://www.piquredabeille.com
Rolfhey@acmeengineering.com.au
Taspiper

Postby RompinDonkey » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:55 pm

Cheers Bob.
Alan

God grant me the Serenity, to buy the bacca that I need;
Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member

Postby aquaholic » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:30 pm

Good questions Bob, thanks
~Isaac
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cellar
aquaholic
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby acaciavet » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:47 pm

Way to go old boy.

Up Spirits
Chuck
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Response from Les - March 3, 2013

Postby Bob » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:47 am

Here are Les's responses (in red) to my questions.

1) Right now we have 30 people who want the pipe. 17 members originally signed up and 13 others are on a reserve for a total of 30. We have only promised pipes to the original 17 and told those on the reserve list they may get a pipe if you are willing to make more. How many pipes are you willing to make? What is your upper limit in case others want one? We understand we will get them over a period of time and that's fine.

HI there will be no problem with making 30 pipes, at present i have a very large amount of orders in the workshop, i will be honest at this time i could not give you a answer as to when i can start, i will start to put them into work but the work in the workshop will have to be finished first, i will be able to update with you as time goes on.

2) When do you think you will be able to start on the pipes? When can we expect the first lot?

That i cannot give you at this time

3) Please verify the cost. We will not publish it publicly. I assume the cost you quote does not include shipping which will be on a case by case basis.

Yes the cost will be ... and it does not include shipping. Note: the cost Les quoted was $22.28 USD / 14.82 pounds less than what we were previously told. PM me for the exact amount.

4) Do you need any money for each pipe up front before you begin? I assume everyone who signed up will follow through with the purchase but I can't personally guarantee they will. What if someone backs out after you make the pipe? I assume you could easily sell the pipe if that happens. Please let me know your thoughts.

I don’t need any money up front, it someone backs out after the pipe is made that will not be a problem i can place the pipe with another market i would let you tell me before they are stamped as to how many pipes per shipment are wanted, as when they are stamped then they are on there way to you,

5) How will we pay you? Do you accept PayPal? Will each buyer pay you directly just before you ship to them? I would prefer they pay you directly but I'm willing to collect the money and pass it on to you. This is probably the biggest unknown ... how and when we pay.

Yes i can have payment by paypal some of the accounts may differ, and i would let you know how many pipes are ready at a time and you can pick from your end who’s going to get them and you can pass on my details, and as soon as the account is in paypal i would ship, or you can do the same from your end if that is easer and send one payment,

6) We would like the pipes stamped either Tamp & Puff 2013 or T&P 2013 (which ever fits best) It doesn't need to be a "stamp" but if you want to use one the moderators at Tamp and Puff are willing to pay for it separately rather than increasing the price of the pipe. If you want to do it by hand that would be fine too. Is there any way to stamp the silver band?

Now this one is a problem as the only stamp maker has retired, if i stamp them one letter at a time they may not look 100% straight i will see how it looks on samples at my end, i will even see how it looks as an engraving on the base of the pipe, i will also see what can be made by my assay stampers,

Reg les

Les will make 30 pipes or a few more I'm sure. The price he quoted was even better than we were previously told, and we can pay via PayPal. I'll send Les an e-mail telling him to proceed and to let us know when he figures out the timeline.
Bob
Bob

Re: 2013 POY Information - As of March 3, 2013

Postby Bob » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:09 am

Just sent Les this e-mail:

Les, please proceed. Everything looks perfect. Please let me know when you get near to starting on the pipes. At that time I'll get final commitments from the members. I'll check back monthly just to keep in touch with you.
Bob
Bob

Postby Smoker99 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:30 am

Sounds great, thanks for the info.
Smoker99

Postby FlatbushPaul » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:40 pm

:D
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation.” Herbert Spencer
FlatbushPaul

Postby ragefather » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:09 pm

Great news and glad he can accommodate the extra orders.
ragefather

Postby Bob » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:10 pm

Anyone who wants a pipe after this post will be on the new reserve list. Pipes will be sold / delivered in the order listed. :)
Bob
Bob

Postby daveinlax » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:10 pm

Solid update! Thanks! :ugeek:
daveinlax

Postby KevinM » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:20 pm

Bob, great thanks for the updates and for keeping me on the list. The timing is actually working out in my favor. Great work Sir!!
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby sfduke » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:07 am

Thanks for the update Bob.
Duke
sfduke

Re: Response from Les - March 3, 2013

Postby SenatorXMG » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:04 pm

bob9039 wrote:
Yes the cost will be ... and it does not include shipping. Note: the cost Les quoted was $22.28 USD / 14.82 pounds less than what we were previously told. PM me for the exact amount.

Bob,

I PM'ed you a few days back about the price but have not yet had a response. Just wanted to ensure my PM made it's way to you. :)

Cheers...
Bryan
SenatorXMG

Postby Bob » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:21 pm

SenatorXMG wrote:
bob9039 wrote:

Bob,

I PM'ed you a few days back about the price but have not yet had a response. Just wanted to ensure my PM made it's way to you. :)

Cheers...

PM sent.
Bob
Bob

Previous

Return to Pipe of the Year