Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Last Call For T&P 2013 POY

Re: Last Call For T&P 2013 POY

Postby Falconeer » Fri May 31, 2013 9:15 pm

You know Bob when this Saga is all over I think the Forum should either vote you Special Tanks or recognise your efforts in some way - you've hung in there when most folk would simply have given up ( my Hero "Roger Melly, the Man on the Telly" springs to mind with his famous catch phrase "Bollox, I've had enough, I'm off!")

Having seen POYs turn into disasters/fiascos on other forums - all that I can say is that some of these soi-disant great pipemakers do themselves no favours, and could do to adress themselves more to the business side of life.

Well done Bob!
"I don't think it matters what kind of pipe you smoke, so long as it is well broken in." - Trevor Baylis former Pipe Smoker of the Year
Falconeer

Postby Bob » Fri May 31, 2013 11:12 pm

Thanks Gerry, and I have to agree with you. I think in this case the issue is communication. If I were to start up a POY, it would be a pipe maker I could actually talk to on the telephone. Trying to do all this via e-mail has been a challenge.
Bob
Bob
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby ScotsJim » Fri May 31, 2013 11:18 pm

I agree wi Gerry. Ev'n tho' um nae buyin wan a' gie yi kudos Bob me auld mate.
Jim
"The Pontificating Pipe!"
http://www.youtube.com/user/TamperPeterson
Don't make me get my penny whistle !
http://www.youtube.com/user/fatheroblivion45
ScotsJim

Postby ratatosk » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:48 am

Thanks for your efforts and patience, Bob, I would have said to hell with it a long time ago if I was you. :)
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Frizz » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:42 am

I opted out of this back in September only because of the size of the pipe; but I'de definitely like to add my voice to the chorus being sounded here. Oustanding Bob!

You guys who are in on this are going to be getting one helluva nice pipe. I've got an older 1 star (the small ones) Ferndown Bark in a half-bent dublin/calabash shape, and it's a great lil' pipe.

Enjoy your pipes Gents and Kudos to Bob and Eric for picking up the pieces and seeing this through! :D

-Chris
Frizz

Postby DaveT » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:47 pm

bob9039 wrote:Message from Les:

"Dolly tells me you are next to have the silver mounting done that will make 10 pipes ready for sending some time next week, or the start of the week after. Can you let me know were the first 10 should go to and we will be working on another ten after that."

I've asked Les to clarify what "where the first ten will go" means. It was my belief that each member would deal directly with Les as I didn't really want to collect money, pay him, receive the pipes, and re-ship them out to each member. That will incur more shipping costs. I don't think that's what he means as I've asked him before.

Regardless, it looks like our first ten pipes will be born shortly.

Bob, surely the easiest way is to advise Les who the first 10 are and then message them with Les' details to sort out payment. Anyone who doesn't contact him in (say) 10 days goes to the back of the queue and #11 gets "promoted" to the first batch...and so on as more become available
DaveT

Postby FlatbushPaul » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:15 pm

My goodness Bob. You have the patience of a Saint! Thanks for all the work you have done with this! I will remember all of this stuff every time I smoke this pipe!
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation.” Herbert Spencer
FlatbushPaul

Postby ragefather » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:52 pm

ScotsJim wrote:I agree wi Gerry. Ev'n tho' um nae buyin wan a' gie yi kudos Bob me auld mate.

I know some of those words. :lol:
ragefather

Postby ScotsJim » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:49 pm

ragefather wrote:
ScotsJim wrote:I agree wi Gerry. Ev'n tho' um nae buyin wan a' gie yi kudos Bob me auld mate.

I know some of those words. :lol:

Guid oan yi matey ;) :lol:
Jim
"The Pontificating Pipe!"
http://www.youtube.com/user/TamperPeterson
Don't make me get my penny whistle !
http://www.youtube.com/user/fatheroblivion45
ScotsJim

Postby ratatosk » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:53 pm

Anybody want to volunteer to ask Bob how this is coming along? I would, but I don't want to look like I am bugg.... oh, wait, doh! :lol: :P
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Bob » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:34 am

I e-mailed Les today. The problem I'm having is an agreement as to how you will all get your pipes. I really don't want to pay for and receive all the pipes only to mail them out again. I'm not saying Les is demanding this but it's what he would prefer. I'm treading gently and don't want to risk endangering the project.

Here's what I need from each of the members (in a PM).

1) your general location. I don't need an exact address yet. I'm putting together options for Les. One option is to send all UK pipes to Alan, and all US pipes to me. We then re-ship. There are possibly some benefits to the UK and EU folks doing it this way. If you want to know the specific details ask me when you PM in #2 below. Another option is me sending your PayPal e-mail to Les and he sends you an invoice ... and he ships (I like this one :lol: ). Finally there is the option that you pay me and I do everything. :(

2) PM me your PayPal e-mail address if you have one. I hope you all have one. If you don't, you'll absolutely have to deal with Les directly to pay him. PayPal is easy to set up and comes in quite handy if you don't have one.

I asked Les to tell me how many are ready. I'm sure a bunch are. It's this payment / shipping stuff that's been very difficult to coordinate via e-mail.

I'll talk to Alan about talking directly to Les.
Bob
Bob

Postby RompinDonkey » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:53 am

For the UK pipes we certainly don't want them sent to the US, and then back here. I would expect customs duties to be payable if that happened.

If Les wants to send all of the UK pipes to me (in boxes), I am happy to send them out individually.

Obviously the easiest (and best) way is for each of us to send the payment for our pipe to Les, along with our name, address and username.
Alan

God grant me the Serenity, to buy the bacca that I need;
Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member

Postby ragefather » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:40 pm

RompinDonkey wrote: (in boxes)

This is key as it would be a pain in the ass for you two to find the right size boxes, and have to pack them up.
ragefather

Previous

Return to Pipe of the Year