Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

2013 POY Final Instructions - 8 July 2013

Re: 2013 POY Final Instructions - 8 July 2013

Postby ratatosk » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:37 am

There are relatively few times in my life when I have blundered into a Wonderful Thing and this is one of them. These pipes are fabulous and were an incredible deal for the craftsmanship received. I sent Les an email complimenting him on his work and assuring him that Ferndown is now on my target list for future purchases. :D
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby viper37 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:50 am

KevinM wrote:Sent my payment via PayPal on July 23rd. Still havent received my shipping notice yet. Hmmm... Just gotta be patient I quess.

Hey Kevin, I got an email from les and he said he was sending 3 more Thursday Aug. 1st. I imagine you'll be getting an email from les with tracking number then.
Bill
viper37

Postby Stinkykid » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:37 pm

Mine arrived today. It's a fine pipe indeed. Very large bowl but extremely comfortable in hand. Beautiful fit and finish. It is unbelievable for the price, and a good pipe at any price.

Bob, you deserve all our thanks for resurrecting this project and seeing it through. I guess Les doesn't follow the forum but thanks also to him for the great work, despite his recent health problems.

I was reading again the original thread on this PoY project and enjoying once more the hilarious meltdown that accompanied its conception. Amazing to read through it with the pipe actually in my hand. There are very few things more entertaining than a massive hissy-fit on the internet, so I heartily recommend when you receive your pipes to light them up and read that thread again.
:D
"There are two things I will never give up - my honour and my tobacco pouch" - Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh

"It was my companion in that most wretched time" - Inscription on Sir Walter Raleigh's pipe case
Stinkykid
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby RompinDonkey » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:30 pm

Just received my tracking number. Saturday looks good for delivery. Tomorrow at a push ...

It's going to be a mainly burley mixture for the maiden voyage.
Alan

God grant me the Serenity, to buy the bacca that I need;
Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member

Postby FlatbushPaul » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:54 pm

I just finished my 3rd smoke in the new Fernwood T&P POY and I have to say it is a fabulous pipe. It is already smoking sweet and everything about it is perfect. I love large pipes and this is a huge pipe. I actually go against most smokers rules and like a large pipe for my Virginia's. Yeah, I know, small narrow bowls for Virginia's. I like a large bowl and for me I like the way a nice Virginia develops as it smokes down. This will be perfect for me.
I emailed Les and thanked him for a beautiful pipe. He gave me a little insight to how he oil cures the briar and actually puts a little in the bowl so it doesn't dry out before he gets to ship it. Very interesting stuff. He is a lovely guy and we were very lucky to have found him for this venture. I for one will be looking to purchase other Ferndown pipes in the future.

Happy Smoking,
Paul
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation.” Herbert Spencer
FlatbushPaul

Postby KevinM » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:28 am

I emailed Les last night asking if he received PayPal payment and told him I did not receive shipping info yet on my order paid July 23. Well today I received a text from my wife that a package for England had arrived in the mail today. I am out of town on business. Then when I checked work email I had received a reply from Les that he emailed my paypal email address with tracking info when mailed out on July 26th. Apparently he emailed me at "ALO.com" and not "AOL.com" :D So, my new Ferndown is waiting for me and I did email Les stating the pipe arrived and thanked him again for working with us on this. Thanks again also to Bob for making this happen. Now I just gotta get home and figure out what I want to christen it with!!!
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:30 am

FlatbushPaul wrote: I for one will be looking to purchase other Ferndown pipes in the future.

Don't wait too long as his production per year is going to drop by a factor of 10. Once current stock runs out the prices are going to skyrocket.
Bob
Bob
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby KevinM » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:34 am

Don't wait too long as his production per year is going to drop by a factor of 10. Once current stock runs out the prices are going to skyrocket.

I think Bob's prediction is accurate and I think we are lucky to see one of Les' last big hurrahs as far as large scale production. At least thats the drift I got reading his email to Bob. And I am sure anyone who has scoped out Ferndown prices has found out, they ain't cheap now!!!!
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Smoker99 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:41 am

KevinM wrote:I emailed Les last night asking if he received PayPal payment and told him I did not receive shipping info yet on my order paid July 23. Well today I received a text from my wife that a package for England had arrived in the mail today. I am out of town on business. Then when I checked work email I had received a reply from Les that he emailed my paypal email address with tracking info when mailed out on July 26th. Apparently he emailed me at "ALO.com" and not "AOL.com" :D So, my new Ferndown is waiting for me and I did email Les stating the pipe arrived and thanked him again for working with us on this. Thanks again also to Bob for making this happen. Now I just gotta get home and figure out what I want to christen it with!!!

Probably wouldn't have made much difference anyway, Kevin. Mine showed being in Portland, Or. the same day it was delivered in Missouri. The USPS isn't known for tracking accuracy. Glad you got it.
Smoker99

Postby RompinDonkey » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:44 pm

Mine has arrived. It is absolutely perfect!
Alan

Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey

Postby acaciavet » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:57 pm

I too have run three bowls of Prince Alber through her and it is one sweet smoker.I am so glad he did not mark it T&P on it it will bring a good return for the wife when I go to the big boat in the sky! :lol:
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Stinkykid » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:14 pm

acaciavet wrote:I too have run three bowls of Prince Alber through her and it is one sweet smoker.I am so glad he did not mark it T&P on it it will bring a good return for the wife when I go to the big boat in the sky! :lol:

Chuck, do you make all your purchasing decisions based on what the stuff will sell for when you're dead?
"There are two things I will never give up - my honour and my tobacco pouch" - Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh

"It was my companion in that most wretched time" - Inscription on Sir Walter Raleigh's pipe case
Stinkykid
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby acaciavet » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:58 pm

Stinkykid wrote:
acaciavet wrote:I too have run three bowls of Prince Alber through her and it is one sweet smoker.I am so glad he did not mark it T&P on it it will bring a good return for the wife when I go to the big boat in the sky! :lol:

Chuck, do you make all your purchasing decisions based on what the stuff will sell for when you're dead?

I am and always will be a capitalist, You see you can't take it with you and all my collectables will be sold so those left behind can afford top shelf Scotch.

Up spirits
Chuck
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Stinkykid » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:49 am

I'm pretty sure when I go if I leave behind anything valuable my wife will just spend it on toyboys and shoes.

Stinkykid
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ScotsJim » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:34 pm

RompinDonkey wrote:Mine has arrived. It is absolutely perfect!

Hmmmm.....methinks this explains the big bowl / small bowl thread you started matey ;) :lol:
Jim
"The Pontificating Pipe!"
http://www.youtube.com/user/TamperPeterson
Don't make me get my penny whistle !
http://www.youtube.com/user/fatheroblivion45
ScotsJim

Postby Taspiper » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:57 am

Pipe has arrived safe and sound. I had forgotten how big they were, probably my biggest pipe! Well made and smokes good but definitely not a clencher. Thanks to Bob for getting all this finalised!
Cheers Rolf

"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs." -Albert Einstein

http://www.acmeengineering.com.au
http://www.rolfhey.com
http://www.piquredabeille.com
Rolfhey@acmeengineering.com.au
Taspiper

Postby RompinDonkey » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:40 pm

ScotsJim wrote:
Hmmmm.....methinks this explains the big bowl / small bowl thread you started matey ;) :lol:

It was this thread. Flatbush (Paul) mentioned that he prefers Va in large bowls. Paul isn't a novice smoker so I gave it a try - in a Pete XL14.

I still haven't smoked my POY - I just can't bring myself to do it. It is easily the best made pipe that I have - beating Dunhills, Astleys (Dunhills), Rad Davis, top end Petes, Savs, Stans .....

Considering the size of the pipe, I think it feels quite light.
Alan

RompinDonkey

Postby viper37 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:32 pm

Got mine today. It's just a stunning piece of briar! First day of vacation and a new Ferndown pipe. It's a good day! :D
Bill
viper37

Postby Bob » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:26 am

Alan, you need to smoke that pipe. It's incredible. Honestly, I wouldn't have bought one without this POY but I will be buying more. I completely agree it's better than a 5 or 600 dollar Dunhill. It's the only larger pipe that I really like a lot. I like it! If you haven't figured that out. :lol:
Bob
Bob

Postby NoBail » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:53 am

I've yet to smoke mine. Maybe in a bit I'll light up. I usually smoke RLP 6 to break in pipes. It is a good evening for a smoke.
NoBail

PreviousNext

Return to Pipe of the Year