Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

2014 POY Last Call and Signup

Re: 2014 POY Last Call and Signup

Postby KevinM » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:45 pm

Bob, I have contacted Pete to see if he could provide pics of a billiard with band. He does have decent pics of his classic billiard on his website, sans the band.
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevinM » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:19 am

FYI, Pete has agreed to send me pics of the billiard. He has none with a band to show, but ask to imagine a 6mm band on the pipe. I will post the pics when received.
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby grundie » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:42 pm

Many thanks for your hard work Kevin. Looking forward to seeing the finished pipe.
grundie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevinM » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:01 pm

I think the pipe will look nice and utilitarian. Keep in mind that keeping the price within reach was also a big factor in this years POY campaign. I expect this pipe to look every bit as nice as a Savinelli or Peterson in the same price range, with the extra benefit of being personally (if not hand) crafted.
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby kats » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:26 am

I'm out this time around on the POY...

...but would most definitely contribute a few $$ once again toward the purchase for Eric. Keep us all in the loop on when, how, etc... to help make this happen.
George
There are three kinds of people in this world... those who can add and those who can't.
kats

Postby highstump » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:13 pm

aquaholic wrote:
highstump wrote:......... But I will freely admit to being one of the few people in the pipe smoking community who has enough pipes. :lol:

What's the number?? I keep trying to figure it out :?

Isaac, it will be a different number for everyone. For me the number sits at firmly at 85. Some will look at that figure and think, someday...
Others will see it and ask, "that's it?". It's a great hobby, no? ;)
Jim

"Mechanical Engineers build weapons, Civil Engineers build targets."
highstump

Postby KevinM » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:22 pm

Gents, an update on the 2014 POY status. Pete has stated he can have the pipes ready sometime in March. The cost will be $80 plus postage. I finalized the number of pipes required with Pete today and that number is 12. One pipe each for the 10 members who signed up, and two for me (one being for Eric). Therefore, I will be providing Pete a list of the members who have committed to purchase. I will give him your forum name. The plan is for you to provide your forum name when ordering the 2014 POY to ensure you will get one of the only 12 pipes being made. Unfortunately, there will be no "extras" lying around due to Pete having the engraving out-sourced on the bands. So, only 12 bands will be made for Pete to put on the POYs. I will pass updated information along as it becomes available, but we are getting real close to finalizing this and getting our 2014 POYs!!
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby HowlinWolf » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:39 pm

KevinM wrote:
The plan is for you to provide your forum name when ordering the 2014 POY...

When the time comes for us to place our orders, please provide step-by-step details, how-to-pay instructions (hopefully credit card is OK), et cetera - thanks!

There are times when I could screw up a two-car funeral, and I don't want this to be one of them!

Thanks again for all your work on this.
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby ratatosk » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:45 pm

That's good to hear, Kevin. I assume that we will each kick in a bit for Eric's pipe, how do you want to handle that?

Thanks.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevinM » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:49 am

To all inquiring about payment of Eric's pipe, be patient!! The time will come. Because the cost is reasonable, I can cover his on the initial order, so its not like I have to hurry and get the cash in before I order/pay for the pipes. That plus the fact I don't have paypal or any thing like that for easy fund transfer. Therefore I will need cash or check sent. Still debating on the best way to pursue this, but it will come to me eventually.

To answer HWs concerns, the intent is for us to order directly from the Invicta website. I believe Pete can either take credit cards directly, or you can pay with credit card through paypal. Perhaps Pete can send us paypal notifications via email that we can pay by card. He would probably also take cash or check via mail.
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby sfduke » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:34 pm

Thanks for the update Kevin.
Duke
sfduke

Postby aquaholic » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:03 am

KevinM wrote:Gents, an update on the 2014 POY status. Pete has stated he can have the pipes ready sometime in March. The cost will be $80 plus postage. I finalized the number of pipes required with Pete today and that number is 12. One pipe each for the 10 members who signed up, and two for me (one being for Eric). Therefore, I will be providing Pete a list of the members who have committed to purchase. I will give him your forum name. The plan is for you to provide your forum name when ordering the 2014 POY to ensure you will get one of the only 12 pipes being made. Unfortunately, there will be no "extras" lying around due to Pete having the engraving out-sourced on the bands. So, only 12 bands will be made for Pete to put on the POYs. I will pass updated information along as it becomes available, but we are getting real close to finalizing this and getting our 2014 POYs!!

Hey Kevin, anything new going on with this?
~Isaac
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cellar
aquaholic
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevinM » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:50 pm

Hey Isaac. Yes. I emailed Pete at Invicta last week with final number and the forum names of the forum member who will be ordering. As I believe I mentioned in an earlier email, I had to give Pete exact numbers as he was outsourcing the bands and didn't want to get extras. No word back yet, but as soon as he lets me know the pipes are ready and gives me ordering instructions, I will pass along. Should be soon, but Pete takes a while to respond. The game plan if for those members who signed up to simply purchase off the Invicta website directly. I gave Pete the forum names to use as a cross check so that those members who preordered/committed get one of the limited number of pipes. Everyone who committed gets one. I preordered two to cover Erics. It was a total of 11 pipes.

FYI for future POY coordinators:

Stick with vendors in your general time zone, country, etc. There appears to be a significant communication gap when dealing with folks in other countries. I personally like phone calls, which is almost impossible to do when dealing with significant time zone differences, long-distance charges, etc.

Try to select a vendor who can make as many pipes as needed, and can prepare them when ordered with in-house stamping, customization, etc. This eliminates setting up drop dead dates, hard commitments, or other things that may potentially ruffle members feathers. Not that this occurred with me, but I still felt bad that once a final number went in by a date, no body else could make a "last minute" order like we could with the Tinsky pipes.

I will keep everyone posted as soon as I hear back from Pete!!!!! Hopefully we can get our pipes by June, which is how I basically planned it. Pete stated final price will be in the $80 range.
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby acaciavet » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:30 pm

Kev you did a fine job old boy!
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby ragefather » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:33 pm

Sounds great. Looking forward to it.

Will the bands be nickel?
ragefather

Postby HowlinWolf » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:21 pm

Booyah!
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby aquaholic » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:42 pm

Sweet, thanks for the update kevin!
~Isaac
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cellar
aquaholic
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby sfduke » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:20 pm

Thanks for the update.
Duke
sfduke

Postby KevinM » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:54 am

Just got an email from Pete at Invicta. THE 2014 POYS ARE READY!!! I was a bit shocked at first as I heard nothing from Pete confirming he got my last email until this morning. I have asked him to allow the members order directly from his site. He will likely require you send him an email and he will send you a paypal request. As soon as I get the details on payment (which I requested as soon as possible) I will forward along to you guys. We are getting them a bit earlier than I originally anticipated and I have been keeping my PAD in check waiting for this day :D
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:10 pm

well done Kevin.
Last edited by ratatosk on Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

PreviousNext

Return to Pipe of the Year