Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

T&P Tamper

Discussion for the official Tamp and Puff Tamper or Tamper of the Year

Re: T&P Tamper

Postby BladeBoy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:24 pm

HalfPipeHalfChimp wrote:This sounds like a great idea to me.

What type of wood is the one on the blue background? V.nice

That is Bocote.
BladeBoy

Postby BladeBoy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:30 pm

PapaBear wrote:Serious question here: Not to offend BladeBoy but has it already been decided (set in stone) that he is going to be the tamper choice?

I just literally saw this thread now

The reason I ask is that I was in discussions with someone already about this and there was a good chance they were willing to do it. I hadnt brought it up yet because the details (such shape and material options) if they decided to do it were/are still being worked out to present to you guys along with a price and markings etc.

If the choice has already been made then I will need to let them know now so further progress, work, thoughts etc can stop.

Again, this is not to offend or anything of the like but out of fairness and respect to the other carver and their time.

Thanks,

George

I am not offended in any way, like it has been said it's up to the members, I really could use the work though, I am totally open on design and type of wood (as long as it's a workable wood).
BladeBoy

Postby BladeBoy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:31 pm

ChuckMac wrote:I like tampers with a spoon of some sort on one end. Without that it's just an expensive stick.

You mean as a dottle tool?
BladeBoy

Postby ChuckMac » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:51 pm

BladeBoy wrote:
ChuckMac wrote:I like tampers with a spoon of some sort on one end. Without that it's just an expensive stick.

Right. A spoon for scooping out the dottle and ashes. Like the spoon on a czech tool. I see that a couple of yours can be used that way already but could stand a little better shaping for the purpose.
I have a couple with a foot for tamping, a spoon opposite that and a hidden shank pick as well. Those are very handy.

Ya know, life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer ya get to the end the faster it goes!

Chuck M.
ChuckMac

Postby BladeBoy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:26 am

ChuckMac wrote:
BladeBoy wrote:

Right. A spoon for scooping out the dottle and ashes. Like the spoon on a czech tool. I see that a couple of yours can be used that way already but could stand a little better shaping for the purpose.
I have a couple with a foot for tamping, a spoon opposite that and a hidden shank pick as well. Those are very handy.

I see what your saying, I personally have never needed to poke or stir a bowl (I must be a master bowl packer :roll: ) the dottle tool does come in handy well finished smoking a bowl though to remove the remaining ash and dottle that won't knock out, a bladed shape works fine for this, but to each his own.
BladeBoy

Postby 12toneman » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:21 am

BladeBoy wrote:
tstryk wrote:I think the beauty of this is that there would probably be no time window, right? Made to order?

Well, I think there would have to be some sort of time window but not as small as the POY window was ;), and I am easy to work with :D .

How long do you think you'd need to produce c.20 or 30 tampers?
...what helped to bring about that almost impious good-humor of his; that thing must have been his pipe.
12toneman

Postby ChuckMac » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:04 am

BladeBoy wrote:
ChuckMac wrote:
BladeBoy wrote:I see what your saying, I personally have never needed to poke or stir a bowl (I must be a master bowl packer :roll: ) the dottle tool does come in handy well finished smoking a bowl though to remove the remaining ash and dottle that won't knock out, a bladed shape works fine for this, but to each his own.

The only thing I use a shank pick for is the purpose for which it is intended...and that purpose is removing plugs of dottle from the shank of a pipe, hench the term "shank pick".
The parts of a tamper or a pipe tool are named for a reason and that reason is usually derived from the purpose for which it is designed. If your satisfied with less...well then to use your own words, "to each his own" and I'm happy for ya.
BTW, I did state that a spoon is used for scooping out dottle and ashes, so you see, I not only know what the parts of a tamper are called I also know what the parts of a good tamper are used for. Aren't you proud of me? :lol:
You do good work, no doubt about it. Beautiful stuff. I also liked your mod on the P-lip of Peterson stems. Good job.
Last edited by ChuckMac on Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ya know, life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer ya get to the end the faster it goes!

Chuck M.
ChuckMac

Postby BladeBoy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:28 am

12toneman wrote:
BladeBoy wrote:
tstryk wrote:I think the beauty of this is that there would probably be no time window, right? Made to order?

Well, I think there would have to be some sort of time window but not as small as the POY window was ;), and I am easy to work with :D .

How long do you think you'd need to produce c.20 or 30 tampers?

Realistically probably 2 or so a day, a month window after supplies arrived would be nice.
BladeBoy

Postby BladeBoy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:31 am

ChuckMac wrote:
The only thing I use a shank pick for is the purpose for which it is intended...removing plugs of dottle from the shank of a pipe, hench the name "shank pick". The parts of a tamper or a pipe tool are named for a reason and that reason is usually derived from the purpose for which it is designed. I've yet to see a tamper with a "dottle tool" or anyone who makes tampers or pipe tools refer to a spoon as that. To each his own, right?
I'll stick with my Savinelli tamper with its foot, spoon and shank pick. It does what I need a tamper to do.

I see, I never thought about that as I use pipe cleaners for that purpose, I wasn't trying to be a smart ass Chuck if I came off that way.
BladeBoy

Postby ChuckMac » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:35 am

BladeBoy wrote:
ChuckMac wrote:
The only thing I use a shank pick for is the purpose for which it is intended...removing plugs of dottle from the shank of a pipe, hench the name "shank pick". The parts of a tamper or a pipe tool are named for a reason and that reason is usually derived from the purpose for which it is designed. I've yet to see a tamper with a "dottle tool" or anyone who makes tampers or pipe tools refer to a spoon as that. To each his own, right?
I'll stick with my Savinelli tamper with its foot, spoon and shank pick. It does what I need a tamper to do.

I see, I never thought about that as I use pipe cleaners for that purpose, I wasn't trying to be a smart ass Chuck if I came off that way.

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things, Aaron. :lol:
I have used cleaners for the purpose but now and then a cleaner just won't do the job. Sometimes you need a good stiff piece of metal to dislodge the clog or your smoking could well be over for the day if you're in the middle of the woods and find that you're out of cleaners or forgot to put any in your pocket or pouch. Been there, done that. Shit happens and experience teaches you what to do about it. Sometimes. Hench my desire for a fully loaded tamper or pipe tool. I can pick a stick up off the ground or break one off a bush but if it won't do what I need it to do, what good is it?.

Chuck M.
ChuckMac

Postby PapaBear » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:08 pm

Hey Guys,

Important Tamper Update:

I just heard from the other tamper carver that they are unable to do it and that they thank you guys for the chance. :D
George

"We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."

Douglas Adams
PapaBear

Postby eric » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:16 am

Bladeboy would you please begin another thread in this subforum with a photo of the tamper you intend to provide, dimensions, and all that kind of info. Also the price you would need to charge us to make it worth your while.

Incidentally, I'd like to add the stipulation that moderators or I be allowed to communicate with Bladeboy at any time during the run of the project. Will that be a problem for anyone? :twisted:
Eric

Subscribe to SPT Email Updates and stay up to date on the latest pipe tobacco news, reviews, and discussion from SmokingPipeTobacco.com.
Follow me on Facebook

About my 130lb weight loss four years ago: My NEW book will be out soon!!!
eric
Site Admin

Postby TigerJack » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:19 am

I don't see how it could be , sounds like a plan bud.
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Postby BladeBoy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:15 pm

eric wrote:Bladeboy would you please begin another thread in this subforum with a photo of the tamper you intend to provide, dimensions, and all that kind of info. Also the price you would need to charge us to make it worth your while.

Incidentally, I'd like to add the stipulation that moderators or I be allowed to communicate with Bladeboy at any time during the run of the project. Will that be a problem for anyone? :twisted:

Eric has started a thread for voting on the year for the tamper, I have added details about design, ordering & pricing of the tamper there and am open to input & suggestions from you guys until the end of September, will take orders for the month of October and will have the tampers completed by the end of November.
BladeBoy

Previous

Return to Tamper of the Year