Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

T&P Tamper

Discussion for the official Tamp and Puff Tamper or Tamper of the Year

T&P Tamper

Postby 12toneman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:25 pm

I started this thread so we can discuss a possible T&P Tamper.

Right off the bat, I'll nominate our own Bladeboy as a the tamper-maker. Maybe he can post pics of his tampers?

Ideas, thoughts, etc?
...what helped to bring about that almost impious good-humor of his; that thing must have been his pipe.
12toneman

Re: T&P Tamper

Postby ruraldean » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:31 pm

As long as it's stamped I don't care... :D :D :D :D ;) :twisted:

... or at least some identifying mark and date. I'd like to consider Bladeboy as it'd be great to have the work done by one of the boys.
Regards
Paul
http://crimsonleaf.co.uk
http://lefthandedscribblings.co.uk

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."

-William Makepeace Thackeray, from The Social Pipe

We nicknamed our granddad Spider Man. Not because he had special powers, but because he couldn't get out of the bath...
ruraldean
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby BladeBoy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:41 pm

I was thinking something like this...
with "T & P 2012 or Tamp & Puff 2012" stamped in the flat section.
BladeBoy

Postby BladeBoy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:49 pm

here are a few of some others I have made...
BladeBoy

Postby ruraldean » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:54 pm

Any of the first six will do. Stamp 'em, send 'em out. Job done.

Seriously, very nice. Tamper decisions should be made relatively quickly as I'm guessing few smokers will have specific preferences. My only comment on those designs is that I wonder if the tamping surface might be a bit small. I have similar tampers in three sizes and the smallest is the one that flicks ash all over the place. Of course I am a useless left-hander :(
Regards
Paul

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."

We nicknamed our granddad Spider Man. Not because he had special powers, but because he couldn't get out of the bath...
ruraldean
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby SenatorXMG » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:00 pm

I'd be up for a T&P 2013 TOY (tamper of the year). Not sure what kind of costs these would run...any ideas?

Judging by the pics posted above, bladeboy would get my vote!
Bryan
SenatorXMG

Postby BladeBoy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:00 pm

The reasoning behind the approx. 3/8"/11mm tamping tip is to facilitate all bowls, you can tamp a larger bowl with a smaller tamp but you can't tamp a smaller bowl if the tamp won't fit.
BladeBoy

Postby ragefather » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:06 pm

I'm in barring a prohibitive cost.

I personally like something like the first one because it has a flat head that could be a good spot for a stamp, marking, etc.
ragefather

Postby 12toneman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:08 pm

how about making it with two tampers-- one on each end of differnt diameter.

I fashioned a really ghetto taped-together tamper out of a roofing nail on one end and a golf tee on the other. has a good lenth- it's perfect (albeit ugly). That would be my vote because I'd love one of the same dimensions but nicer: a two ended tamper (different diameters), 5" long. thin profile.
...what helped to bring about that almost impious good-humor of his; that thing must have been his pipe.
12toneman

Postby BladeBoy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:08 pm

SenatorXMG wrote:I'd be up for a T&P 2013 TOY (tamper of the year). Not sure what kind of costs these would run...any ideas?

If this style were chosen (which I think is a good choice due to it's simple elegance and flat section to facilitate stamping) they would be around $25 shipped (outside the U.S. may be a little extra). I have to get with Eric about it first...
Last edited by BladeBoy on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BladeBoy

Postby SenatorXMG » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:11 pm

BladeBoy wrote:The reasoning behind the approx. 3/8"/11mm tamping tip is to facilitate all bowls, you can tamp a larger bowl with a smaller tamp but you can't tamp a smaller bowl if the tamp won't fit.

I love large tampers! Makes quick work of tamping and gets a nice even surface. Either way, 3/8" gets the job done.
Bryan
SenatorXMG

Postby ruraldean » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:14 pm

BladeBoy wrote:The reasoning behind the approx. 3/8"/11mm tamping tip is to facilitate all bowls, you can tamp a larger bowl with a smaller tamp but you can't tamp a smaller bowl if the tamp won't fit.

3/8" is fine! It looked much smaller, as is my smallest here. I have three sizes because of the very reason you state - my biggest is my favourite and it only works on two pipes :(
Regards
Paul

ruraldean
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby ruraldean » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:15 pm

SenatorXMG wrote:I'd be up for a T&P 2013 TOY (tamper of the year). Not sure what kind of costs these would run...any ideas?

And mine, so a consensus is building...
Regards
Paul

ruraldean
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Brewcityjedi » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:53 pm

I think Bladeboy does great work, I'd buy one :-)
Brewcityjedi

Postby tstryk » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:16 pm

I think the beauty of this is that there would probably be no time window, right? Made to order?
I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new.

Terry
tstryk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby HalfPipeHalfChimp » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:43 pm

This sounds like a great idea to me.

What type of wood is the one on the blue background? V.nice
HalfPipeHalfChimp

Postby PapaBear » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:06 pm

Serious question here: Not to offend BladeBoy but has it already been decided (set in stone) that he is going to be the tamper choice?

I just literally saw this thread now

The reason I ask is that I was in discussions with someone already about this and there was a good chance they were willing to do it. I hadnt brought it up yet because the details (such shape and material options) if they decided to do it were/are still being worked out to present to you guys along with a price and markings etc.

If the choice has already been made then I will need to let them know now so further progress, work, thoughts etc can stop.

Again, this is not to offend or anything of the like but out of fairness and respect to the other carver and their time.

Thanks,

George
George

"We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."

Douglas Adams
PapaBear

Postby eric » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:16 pm

Can we hold off on both ideas - there's at least three distinctly different ideas for tampers that have been presented. I'd like all parties who have went to the effort to research, contact makers, etc to at least find out what the maker can offer and have that information presented to the membership. We can always do polls or whatever if we need to vote.

That ok with everyone?
Eric

Subscribe to SPT Email Updates and stay up to date on the latest pipe tobacco news, reviews, and discussion from SmokingPipeTobacco.com.
Follow me on Facebook

About my 130lb weight loss four years ago: My NEW book will be out soon!!!
eric
Site Admin

Postby ChuckMac » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:18 pm

I like tampers with a spoon of some sort on one end. Without that it's just an expensive stick.

Ya know, life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer ya get to the end the faster it goes!

Chuck M.
ChuckMac

Postby BladeBoy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:24 pm

tstryk wrote:I think the beauty of this is that there would probably be no time window, right? Made to order?

Well, I think there would have to be some sort of time window but not as small as the POY window was ;), and I am easy to work with :D .
Last edited by BladeBoy on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BladeBoy

Next

Return to Tamper of the Year