Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Important Question About The T & P Tamper

Discussion for the official Tamp and Puff Tamper or Tamper of the Year

Re: Important Question About The T & P Tamper

Postby ragefather » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:38 am

bearded1 wrote:While I definately encourage the tamper project, I honestly never use the ones I have. I have been using a czech tool forever and don't plan on using anything else anytime soon. Now if they made a lighter with a tamper and a poker, I'd be on that...but for now things have to be used for me to get them.

With that being said, I am looking forward to seeing what the carver comes up with.

The Xikar Pipeline has a tamper and the other end is a flat head screwdriver that I use as a pick.
ragefather

Postby ChuckMac » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:05 am

The OldBoy has a tamp and pick too. Very handy because the rim of the tamper foot acts a screw driver for removing the screw that protects the fill valve and the tip of the pick fits the flame adjustor screw. Handy.

Ya know, life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer ya get to the end the faster it goes!

Chuck M.
ChuckMac

Postby stormwulf133 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:46 am

ChuckMac wrote:The OldBoy has a tamp and pick too. Very handy because the rim of the tamper foot acts a screw driver for removing the screw that protects the fill valve and the tip of the pick fits the flame adjustor screw. Handy.

Gotta say I would go with the Xikar over the Old Boy. I have both. Old Boy has a reported problem of a part wearing down with the opening and closing of it. Both have a lifetime warranty but xikar is faster about getting it done. PLUS they are my hometown boys. KC based company. They have always treated me well.
XIKAR 4 LIFE!
stormwulf133

Postby bearded1 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:52 am

stormwulf133 wrote:
ChuckMac wrote:The OldBoy has a tamp and pick too. Very handy because the rim of the tamper foot acts a screw driver for removing the screw that protects the fill valve and the tip of the pick fits the flame adjustor screw. Handy.

Gotta say I would go with the Xikar over the Old Boy. I have both. Old Boy has a reported problem of a part wearing down with the opening and closing of it. Both have a lifetime warranty but xikar is faster about getting it done. PLUS they are my hometown boys. KC based company. They have always treated me well.

The Old Boy is prohibitively expensive for me. How is the Xikar for price? Ya, I could just go look I guess...
-Paul
bearded1

Postby ragefather » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:17 am

bearded1 wrote:
stormwulf133 wrote:

The Old Boy is prohibitively expensive for me. How is the Xikar for price? Ya, I could just go look I guess...

You can get it for $50. Maybe $40 if you dig around. I got mine here shipped for free.

http://shopwiseguys.com/xikar-pipeline-chrome-silver-lighter.html
ragefather

Postby bearded1 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:26 am

ragefather wrote:
bearded1 wrote:You can get it for $50. Maybe $40 if you dig around. I got mine here shipped for free.

http://shopwiseguys.com/xikar-pipeline-chrome-silver-lighter.html

Hey thanks! I will look into it at some point.
-Paul
bearded1

Postby ChuckMac » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:45 am

stormwulf133 wrote:

Have you had any problems with your OldBoy? Just interested...nothing more.

Ya know, life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer ya get to the end the faster it goes!

Chuck M.
ChuckMac

Postby stormwulf133 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:49 pm

ChuckMac wrote:
stormwulf133 wrote:

Have you had any problems with your OldBoy? Just interested...nothing more.

Not yet, I just done use it even 1/10 as much as my Xikar because of the price tag. its my at home only lighter
XIKAR 4 LIFE!
stormwulf133

Postby ChuckMac » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:51 pm

I'll keep Xikar in mind for my next lighter. Thanks for the info.

Chuck M.
ChuckMac

Previous

Return to Tamper of the Year