Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

First Impressions

Discuss or ask questions about pipe tobacco, pipe tobacco storage and aging, blending, etc.

First Impressions

Postby Nomad » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:28 pm

This is a thread dedicated to posting first impressions of a blend that the poster hasn't tried before. The idea isn't for posts here to be a review, proper, but more one's initial thoughts on the first bowl of a new blend. Could be interesting to refer back to once a few bowls have been smoked.

If you're trying a blend for the first time, feel free to jot down your first impressions here.
Nomad

Re: First Impressions

Postby Nomad » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:51 pm

Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture

I wanted to try this mainly because it's a favourite of Bradley's, from the Stuff & Things YouTube channel. If nothing else, it's a reference for what he talks about in his tobacco reviews. I was also curious about VaPers, having not really tried them before (or not knowingly).

The tin note is very much hay or grassy Virginia. I had a sniff of a jar of Perique blending tobacco, and I'd have to say that the aroma of that doesn't seem to be particularly evident in the Dunhill blend - if it's there, it's subtle. The moisture content seemed maybe a touch try, but it fared well with a pinch test, It also packed easily, and lit nicely on the charring light, after which, it almost kept going, but did need a tamp and true light eventually. The pipe was a cob.

The flavour seemed to be bright, if I can put it like that, with a notable peppery note from the Perique. I didn't notice any earthiness or mellowness - it seemed to be very much biased towards a grassy pepperiness. Plenty of smoke even with fairly gentle puffs, but the body was a bit light. The peppery aspect was fine on the snork - definitely there, but not overpowering.

My first impression is that this isn't my kind of tobacco. If it was a frequency response in an audio system, I'd say it was all upper midrange and treble. Maybe this is a summertime smoke.
Nomad

Postby Listener666 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:15 am

Sam Gawith Lakeland Dark

A very broken Flake which came quite moist. The smell was a Smokey typical Kentucky type of smell with a little musky spice.

I dried the baccy for about 30 minutes while grinding some coffee and taking the dogs for a quick stroll.

Didn't light particularly well (should have dried it out more)......needed quite a few relights (should have dried it out more)

The immediate taste reminded me of GH Dark Flake U/S.........that rich flavour of dark fired leaf. As the smoke progressed it became quite strong but rather bland and ...well sort of muddy.
I found it quite unsatisfying and wanting more. Nicotine was for me, quite high but the taste was a little elusive.

Quite disappointed....but i'v done this many times....stick it in a jar for a couple of weeks and I bet it improves (and I should have dried it out more :oops: )

At this stage I much prefer GH Dark Flake U/S for this type of smoke....this sort of reminds me a little of a weaker tasting Revor for some reason. :shock: It doesn't really taste like it...it just makes me want to smoke some!
I also much prefer this to Peterson 3P's....from which I always struggle to get flavour consistently.....a most frustrating smoke for me.

A good thread.....I wouldn't usually have posted my first impressions if they were this poor because I know some tobacco changes with a bit of breathing space but it will be interesting to see how things develop.
“No doubt exists that all women are crazy; it's only a question of degree.”
― W.C. Fields
Listener666

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:29 pm

A sample of Schneiderwind John Aylesbury English mix. Heavy with Latakia, I gagged in my first couple of puffs and couldn’t take any more so have discarded it. It was a dryish mixture, fine cut and the tobacco pouch aroma was pleasing but I should have known from that smoky essence that I might struggle.
After the initial lighting and puffing, it caught at the back of my throat and completely threw me off course. I really am not a Latakia person as I dislike even smoked food products or those with a smoked flavour to them.
There we are, folks. A blend that will be loved by some but, alas, not by me.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby steppenwolph » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:43 am

Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Rum Twist Unsliced Rope
The wife said it looked like dog poop, and its resemblance to a lawn cigar is undeniable. I didn't know what to expect from this one, except that it would have a solid nic hit. And it did not disappoint. But more to the point of this first impression, other than a good jolt of vitamin N, there is a very smooth tobacco there. It is a tad moist, but drier than most tinned tobaccos, needed very little drying. I did slice off coins and crumble them, and stuff them in the bowl. One charring light and then a second light was all it needed. Very satisfying tobacco flavor with a light reminder of rum. Nothing to hit you over the head with, as far as flavoring. I may have been a trifle dizzy at the completion of the bowl. I bought this as an exploration into the world of rope and twist tobaccos. I've got two ounces of it, and I expect to enjoy every bit of the stuff.
This most gentle sensation distinguished by any distant receptors.
steppenwolph

Postby KevLa » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:38 am

Good to have you here again, Steppenwolph! :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby steppenwolph » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:11 pm

KevLa wrote:Good to have you here again, Steppenwolph! :)

Thank you, KevLa. It is good to be back. :D This place is the best.
steppenwolph

Postby steppenwolph » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:31 pm

Solani 633
Tried my first bowl of this last night while driving home from visiting family. Very nice smoke, not too much perique. Next time, I will have to try it when I can focus more on the smoke.
steppenwolph

Return to General Pipe Tobacco Discussion