Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

First Impressions

Discuss or ask questions about pipe tobacco, pipe tobacco storage and aging, blending, etc.

Re: First Impressions

Postby KevLa » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:07 pm

Dark Horse is an old favourite of mine, but I've not smoked any for a while now. Sorry it wasn't nearly as good for you, Listener.
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Listener666 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:18 am

KevLa wrote:Dark Horse is an old favourite of mine, but I've not smoked any for a while now. Sorry it wasn't nearly as good for you, Listener.

Yeah......I quite liked it and if I smoked a pipe throughout the day then it would probably be a regular.
I like a bowl of baccy on a morning with coffee, its become quite an important routine along with coffee grinding etc......it gives me an hour to enjoy myself 8-) and I usually like a "strong" flavoured smoke....(whatever that means :oops: ).... :lol: :lol:
“No doubt exists that all women are crazy; it's only a question of degree.”
― W.C. Fields
Listener666

Postby KevLa » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:36 pm

Being a nicotine addict, I smoke throughout each day, often favouring strong blends, particularly before bed. My mildest smoke is usually my first of the day. But I always like my tobacco like my coffee: bursting with delicious flavour :)
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby ratatosk » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:37 am

Having run through something like 200 blends over the last 5 years and reached the point that nothing "new" seems very compelling, I don't have any first impressions to offer right now. But I'll comment on some of the Dunhill stuff that has been mentioned.

Elizabethan Mixture- I like it and have bought 20 tins or so since the end of 2015. What I found is what is true of most Dunhill blends, they ship too early and need some time on the shelf. Let it rest for 6 months or more and it will be much better.

Deluxe Navy Rolls- Great stuff which also gets better with a bit of age. It does use African Virginias unlike Escudo which uses American Virginias, this is a fine point that the Internet Pipe Genius Consortium misses when pronouncing them "the same thing" because they are blended in the same factory. Completely different experiences, I do not prefer one over the other but both are very nice.

Dunhill Flake- classic golden flake, very much like Capstan Gold or any other flake with gold in its name. It probably has a bit of perique as most of them do, but mainly a US Virginia from what I taste.

You might also try the Dunhill Dark Flake, as well as Dunhill Three Year Matured, and Dunhill Ye Olde Sign if available. All of them are good (subject to the aging caveat above). I have a collection of 5 tin sleeves of every Dunhill blend that has been available since 2012 sitting in a cabinet, I will sell that one day I reckon. :)
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:31 am

Good post, Richard. I enjoyed reading it.
Your point about ageing is valid. Now that Dunhill is also, I understand, cutting itself off from anything tobacco-related, perhaps the company which takes over their products might take this onboard.
I’ve not tried many Dunhills, but Ye Olde Signe was certainly one I enjoyed.
Thank you.

KevLa wrote:Being a nicotine addict, I smoke throughout each day, often favouring strong blends, particularly before bed. My mildest smoke is usually my first of the day. But I always like my tobacco like my coffee: bursting with delicious flavour :)

I like your post, Kev. I think I’d be similar here.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:43 pm

Thanks, Steve. It's high time we met up again and shared some smokes together, is it not? :)
KevLa

Postby Listener666 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:18 pm

John Patton: Moe's Confetti

Moisture level good, gave it a few minutes to air a bit though. The tin/bag smell is Burley with a very sugary almost Candy like scent.
Smoked in a MM Marcus......lights well....stays alight. The sweetness stays through 2/3 of the bowl, its not overpowering but gives a sweet taste to the nutty tasting Burley.
I found it go a little flat about 2/3 of a bowl in.....but this was probably my crap packing/smoking skills ;)
No goop ..........no bite.....and quite smooth.

Out of my recent John Patton baccy delivery this was the one I had the least interest in......but on first impression I really like it! It wasn't a wow.......but I will certainly smoke more of it and may buy it again....we will see how it goes.
“No doubt exists that all women are crazy; it's only a question of degree.”
― W.C. Fields
Listener666

Previous

Return to General Pipe Tobacco Discussion