Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

White mould? on my baccy help

Discuss or ask questions about pipe tobacco, pipe tobacco storage and aging, blending, etc.

White mould? on my baccy help

Postby Listener666 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:12 pm

Good afternoon Gents......I have a bit of a problem.....I have opened my first and only tin of Cornell and Diehl Burley Flake #2...it took a while to get from across the pond!

The problem is half of it is developing what looks like a powdery mould...........help...... what is it........should I smoke it?

Will it harm me........my old dad would have said "your setting it alight it will kill everything bad....just smoke it" :roll:

Anyone had this before?
“No doubt exists that all women are crazy; it's only a question of degree.”
― W.C. Fields
Listener666

Re: White mould? on my baccy help

Postby Irminsul » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:31 pm

There is a hint of salvation suggested by the word "powdery". Mold is not powdery; it grows weblike and it smells bad, like mold. Powdery suggests bloom, althoiugh I've never seen it in a burley-based tobacco, usually in virginia-based. On pipe tobacco, bloom (aka plume) usually comes in a row-like arrangement and they look like micro sugar powder. To be sure, try to post a photo or two here.
Irminsul
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Listener666 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:54 pm

Irminsul wrote:There is a hint of salvation suggested by the word "powdery". Mold is not powdery; it grows weblike and it smells bad, like mold. Powdery suggests bloom, althoiugh I've never seen it in a burley-based tobacco, usually in virginia-based. On pipe tobacco, bloom (aka plume) usually comes in a row-like arrangement and they look like micro sugar powder. To be sure, try to post a photo or two here.

Thanks for the reply....it has no smell which is interesting...actually the baccy has very little smell :!: , i will try to post a pic later.
“No doubt exists that all women are crazy; it's only a question of degree.”
― W.C. Fields
Listener666

Postby KevinP » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:11 pm

Tobacco can mould though, but usually only if you try to rehydrate it and overdo it. That has to be thrown out.
KevinP

Postby Geo3rge » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:27 pm

If it's the sugar, then you will be alright. I've seen, though rarely, some tobaccos with what looks like minute crystals. It seems to be a sign of ageing and maturing in some tobaccos, as has been stated, mainly Virginias.
Without a close-up picture, it would be difficult to really assess this.

I'm wondering why the tobacco has little or no smell? One would expect to have something straight out of the tin.

Good luck and all the best with this. See if you can get a picture posted.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby KevinP » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:37 am

Been a while, but I recall that mouldy tobacco smells like the tobacco would normally smell but more intense.

Whether it tastes that way, I'll let someone else report.
KevinP

Postby TigerJack » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:01 pm

Sounds like sugar bloom to me,Just try a bowl if it tastes good I would bet it is good. G'Day
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Postby KevLa » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:48 am

Post a picture here, first! :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby medwin » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:13 pm

About a month ago I received a package from an online vendor and opened the first 250g box of eagerly awaited Full Virginia Flake only to find this abomination:

Needless to say, I phoned the vendor at the first opportunity and they sent out a replacement the next day.

It pained me to throw the whole 250g into the garbage, but as you can see from the photo, this wasn't a little mold--this was a solid cake of fungus!
"There is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark."
medwin

Postby KevLa » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:17 pm

Yeah, that ain't sugar! :(
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:29 am

Good grief! That's a serious infestation there. That surely hasn't grown in the interim period between being packed and delivered.
I'm surprised it wasn't noticed at source. What a waste of 250g too. Hope the replacement was clean.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby medwin » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:47 pm

The replacement appeared clean, and I've smoked a few ounces of it and it sure tastes clean :)

My only concern was that the replacement box had the same lot number as the moldy box. So I had reason to be cautious when I opened the new box.

The customer service person said that this was a known issue; they were aware that Sam Gawith had distributed "some bad batches," so there you go. You never know what horrors may lurk within a tin or a box ob baccy.

For anyone who may wonder if they may have some potentially-moldy FVF maturing in their cellar, the lot number of the 250g box is 14244.++
medwin

Postby Geo3rge » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:38 am

Thanks, Medwin. Strange that Sam Gawith should be having this problem, though their tobaccos are notoriously moist and perhaps some of that moisture has been overdone along the way. I wonder if the shop has notified SG of this problem? Sounds like SG also were aware of it.
Good luck with the new batch.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:40 am

Samuel Gawith are a brilliant company but their 250g packages leave something to be desired, in my humble opinion. The naked tobacco is wrapped in plastic film, inside a card box; asking for trouble! :|
KevLa

Postby ratatosk » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:24 pm

KevLa wrote:Samuel Gawith are a brilliant company but their 250g packages leave something to be desired, in my humble opinion. The naked tobacco is wrapped in plastic film, inside a card box; asking for trouble! :|

True, but the box has its own wrapper, so no vendor is going to see what is going on inside since they are not going to break that to have a look before shipping.

The only time that I have run into this was with a package of Erinmore Plug that I bought out of Ireland. Since it did not make much sense to ask them to ship a single plug, they just refunded and I was fine with that.

I'm kind of surprised that this does not happen more often, but it seems much more likely that a package seal will fail and you will wind up with a bunch of dry baccy. At least that can be fixed and won't kill you. :)
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:28 am

ratatosk wrote:True, but the box has its own wrapper,...

Oh, I did not realise that. Admittedly, it is a long time since I had such a box, though :oops:
...so no vendor is going to see what is going on inside since they are not going to break that to have a look before shipping...

I didn't mean to suggest that they would, only that such packaging is less proof against mould than airtight tins :)
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:18 pm

I didn't take it that you meant the vendor would look inside, Kev. Rest assured! It's difficult to know what might happen in a pack of 250g. I've bought just two such packs in the past, one Squadron Leader and the other FVF. No problems with them at all. But the expense of these now is prohibitive to indulge further in such a bulk pack.
Still OK for next Monday? Look forward to the meet.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:08 pm

Cheers, Steve. Yes, mate; looking forward to seeing you! :)
KevLa

Postby medwin » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:59 am

Any bulk box that I purchase from now on is getting opened and the contents are going straight into mason jars!

I am leery even of the foil bags. I just don't see those as being air tight, at least for years.
medwin

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:01 am

medwin wrote:Any bulk box that I purchase from now on is getting opened and the contents are going straight into mason jars!

I am leery even of the foil bags. I just don't see those as being air tight, at least for years.

Good for you, M! I wish you well in your storage problems or developments. I now jar any opened tin or pouch. As I buy usually in 50g sizes, if it goes off (so far, not noticed anything) damage is minimised.
Hope that tobacco tastes sweet and good.
Steve
Geo3rge

Next

Return to General Pipe Tobacco Discussion