Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Aged Erinmore Flake

Discuss or ask questions about pipe tobacco, pipe tobacco storage and aging, blending, etc.

Aged Erinmore Flake

Postby Dodger » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:58 pm

Opened a 18+ month old Erinmore Flake by accident last week and it is a beautifully smooth smoke .
I did not think it was the same tobacco as the flavours have melded together to create a new taste .
Now regretting I have only 7 tins left ,that is the trouble with not cellaring this tobacco enough ,which is going to change in the future .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Aged Erinmore Flake

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:01 pm

I have heard this from other pipe smokers about the Erinmore.
Also with Player's Navy Cut Flake, which I rather like. This also improves with age and jarring, apparently.

However, I have recently heard that the Players is now discontinued. I'm unsure of the details except for MacBaren being involved somewhere. Also heard that Walnut Flake is now 'Original Flake'?

Another blend goes. Who can say how many more? I'm stocking up on St. Bruno as much as I can. I was also going to do this with the Players but already some shops have run out of it. I have just 100g in a jar that will now remain there for a while.

The only remaining tobacco blender in the UK is Gawith Hoggarth. I'm wondering how many of their blends will be affected.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby Dodger » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:28 pm

Geo3rge wrote:The only remaining tobacco blender in the UK is Gawith Hoggarth. I'm wondering how many of their blends will be affected.
Steve

The older blends should be fine (fingers crossed) ,from what I gather any blend over 10 years old should not fall foul of the new legislation .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:02 pm

Appreciate the information. By sheer coincidence I'm waiting on a report from a fellow pipe man who works in the trade re the current state of the industry.
It will be interesting reading to say the least.
S.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Return to General Pipe Tobacco Discussion