Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Beware Aging Perique

Discuss or ask questions about pipe tobacco, pipe tobacco storage and aging, blending, etc.

Beware Aging Perique

Postby Dodger » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:25 pm

Opened up one of my cellared Orlik Bulls Eye today and while it is a superb smoke the taste of the Perique has disappeared ,so if you bought a blend for the Perique taste be aware that it disappear with age .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Beware Aging Perique

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:06 am

Thanks, D. Good notification. I have a couple of Perique blends but not that many, really, mostly from GQ Tobaccos whose own blends have now been discontinued. I'll be hanging onto them in the jars and see how they smoke in time. Appreciated.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby Dodger » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:00 pm

I have also cellared some GQ ,mostly Latakia blends .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:35 pm

It's the first time I've heard of such an issue, Dodger. I don't dispute your experience, of course, but I wonder if it should be so readily translated to all aging of all Perique... :?
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Dodger » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:03 pm

KevLa wrote:It's the first time I've heard of such an issue, Dodger. I don't dispute your experience, of course, but I wonder if it should be so readily translated to all aging of all Perique... :?

To be fair there was never much Perique in OBE but it was present .
I don't know if all Periques would be the same .but I have read and experienced the fact that the various tobaccos do tend to blend together and create a new tobacco.
I could be wrong of course and is my aged taste buds at fault , but just wanted to point out that the diminishing of Perique flavour is possible .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:44 am

Seems a worthy point, well made, sir :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Return to General Pipe Tobacco Discussion