Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Throw back to good old days...

Discuss or ask questions about pipe tobacco, pipe tobacco storage and aging, blending, etc.

Throw back to good old days...

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:24 pm

I recently purchased some St. Bruno Flake from a U.K. pipe smoker who is also a pipe maker - Chris Askwith. I do not know where he obtained it from, but the packaging is different from the current style and the tobacco is, gloriously, cut as in the old days, finer texture and much more amenable to filling the pipe.
It smokes wonderfully, an absolute joy. I've packed a 50g pouch, enfolded by waxed paper, into an old St. Bruno tin obtained from you-know-where and it fits neatly into the pocket. This is fantastic tobacco.
I now need to ask Chris where he got it from and how old it is. It's not by Ogdens, but the Scandinavian group, so it must be fairly recent.
Whatever the provenance, a lovely, lovely tobacco. How I wish other packs were like it.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: Throw back to good old days...

Postby KevLa » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:56 am

Nice to read of this, Steve :) Could it be the recently introduced American version, I wonder? Is it cut thinner?
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:01 pm

Yes, Kev. Much more like the SB I used to know. Drier, interestingly. Smokes like a dream.
BTW, probably will not be able to meet this side of Christmas, I'm afraid. Lots on here with increased work schedules and I cannot get time off! Will catch up in January some time, if that's ok?
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:02 pm

Yeah, minimum flake gauge rose in the E.U., a couple of years back, whilst thinner flakes are still sold legally in the U.S.A., for now at least.
Look forward to seeing you in the new year :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby ratatosk » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:29 am

When St. Bruno became available here and I tried it, I didn't particularly like it, but that's just individual taste. Having never smoked it before, I couldn't say whether our version is different from your version, but it seems to me that regardless of flake gauge, it should all even out with some additional rubbing, shouldn't it?
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:50 am

Yes, you're probably right, Richard. I just got quite excited at seeing this particular mix and its memories of how things used to be. I usually end up rubbing it out even more anyway! I find the 'new' cut rather awkward in its springiness and unwillingness to be broken up much further, but then I could be being a bit pedantic here so I'd better shut up for the moment...and just enjoy the smoke...
Steve
Geo3rge

Return to General Pipe Tobacco Discussion