Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Pipe tobacco as an investment

Discuss or ask questions about pipe tobacco, pipe tobacco storage and aging, blending, etc.

Pipe tobacco as an investment

Postby ratatosk » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:43 am

As some of you may recall, smokingpipes.com worked out a deal with Gawith for a run of 2000 numbered tins of Squadron Leader which included perique as per the old recipe. I smelled some money to be made here and bought ten tins at $10.93 per. So now look what somebody thinks that they might be worth => http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samuel-Gawiths-SQUADRON-LEADER-SPECIAL-EDITION-50-GRAM-SEALED-TIN-ULTRA-RARE-/232163185941?hash=item360e011515

I have similar setups with Penzance and Balkan Sobranie. I don't know that I will ever offer anything for sale, but it's good to know that my instincts were correct.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Pipe tobacco as an investment

Postby FlakedOut » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:54 am

...I think the clue's in his name - Drunk. :?
FlakedOut
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:35 am

FlakedOut wrote:...I think the clue's in his name - Drunk. :?

Could be, but he's had 1383 ebay transactions with 100% positive feedback. Somebody, somewhere will pay this price. :lol:
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:41 pm

Congratulations on what would seem to have been proven a financially sound investment, sir :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby daveinlax » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:33 pm

ratatosk wrote:
FlakedOut wrote:...I think the clue's in his name - Drunk. :?

Could be, but he's had 1383 ebay transactions with 100% positive feedback. Somebody, somewhere will pay this price. :lol:

He's fishing a lot stuff. I know from experience the Gawith market is soft at best. I'll bet his bottom line is $40 and after the cut that should clear around $30. I've sold a few thousand dollars of vintage tobacco in the last couple of years and I tell you it's a small and fickle market that is very easily saturated. IMO the change in packaging will make the rectangular tins of Penzance much more valuable. Balkan Sobranie is gold even the newer Gallaher era soft packs sell very well but I know a huge estate cellar including pounds of vintage House of and Gallaher era Sobranie wil be offered in Chicago. This will saturate the worldwide market. :ugeek:
daveinlax

Postby Dodger » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:49 pm

Hardly worth the effort .
Tobacco is like art buy what you like not for investment and you can enjoy what you buy .
At these elevated prices it makes me wonder how much he would offer for my cellar .
Not that I would but it would add enjoyment when I crack the occasional tin .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:10 pm

Yeah, it's not for me, to be honest. I've been an avid collector of many things, ever since childhood. But I've never been, and doubt I ever will be, an investor. I'm hoarding tobacco for my own future use, not to sell on at a profit :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:54 am

KevLa wrote:Yeah, it's not for me, to be honest. I've been an avid collector of many things, ever since childhood. But I've never been, and doubt I ever will be, an investor. I'm hoarding tobacco for my own future use, not to sell on at a profit :)

Each to his/her own, but I'm with you on this one, Kev.
S.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby PipeStoke » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:00 am

That's the price of any tin of pipe tobacco here in Australia. :)

In some ways, it'd be worth doing that here in Australia as you'll be able to sell any 50g tin for something near $50 on ebay. It's just that you'd need to get it in from overseas at the normal price there, which is difficult in quantities above 400g. per shipment.
PipeStoke

Return to General Pipe Tobacco Discussion