Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Rehydration

Discuss or ask questions about pipe tobacco, pipe tobacco storage and aging, blending, etc.

Rehydration

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:29 pm

We have all probably had some tobacco that is drier than we would like.
I've used a variety of methods to rehydrate, some more successful than the others. These include little pads that have been soaked and then stick to the inside lid of a jar, a damp kitchen paper towel placed over a jar neck before the lid is clamped down and a terra-cotta stone, also pre-moistened, surface-dried and placed into a pouch, jar or tin.
How do YOU deal with the problem?
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: Rehydration

Postby KevLa » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:35 pm

A big tupperware box, with tobacco in one side and a damp (not soaking) piece of kitchen roll in the other, sealed for a day. Repeat as required :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby FlakedOut » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:46 pm

KevLa is spot-on! ;) Works every time. I had a large bag of Kentucky Shag a couple of years ago which was as dry as dust! Chucked it in a large ZipLoc with a meduim-soaked heavy kitchen towel for a couple of weeks. I must point out that the paper towel was soaked in Sailor Jerry :shock: Perfect results. The Kentucky didn't adhere to the towel, either... :D
FlakedOut
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:19 am

Whenever possible, first choice for me is to combine the dried tobacco with an equal or greater amount of the same blend in a jar. Shake it around in a couple of days, then should be back to normal within a week.

If you want to cheat, load a pipe with the dried tobacco, put your thumb over the bowl and gently blow up the stem 5-6 times. You will be probably be surprised by how much moisture is in your breath. ;)
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:35 am

Thanks, Richard. I've done the first bit, but not the second. I can see that the breath is moist, but wouldn't have thought that much! Worth a try and appreciated.
That's another great aspect of our hobby- there is always something new and useful to learn!
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Postby hooboy » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:04 pm

This has gotten some good advise and I will add my 2 cents .....

I have had good luck by opening the container and placing it in an open carport on a rainy day the moisture in the air does quite nicely.
(remember your milage may vary!)
hooboy
I feel strongly both ways!
hooboy

Return to General Pipe Tobacco Discussion