Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Tinned or bulk...advice?

Discuss or ask questions about pipe tobacco, pipe tobacco storage and aging, blending, etc.

Tinned or bulk...advice?

Postby Listener666 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:25 pm

Advice would be appreciated for the following:

I am about to (and have been for a few months)....stock up on some of my favourite tobacco's. Unfortunately for me these are only available in the U.S. (or at a silly price in the UK) which adds a little on to the cost.

I plan on buying 1 or 2 pounds a month of OJK ....the Bulk is around 30% less than the 8oz cans........I have smoked both and get very little difference.....but.....will the Bulk keep as well (or better) over a 10 year period. (mason jars)

I really believe the tobacco apocalypse is coming to the uk in terms of internet sales etc...............and if it doesn't ...great....I have lots of my favourite tobacco ;)
“No doubt exists that all women are crazy; it's only a question of degree.”
― W.C. Fields
Listener666

Re: Tinned or bulk...advice?

Postby Hermit » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:20 pm

It'll keep in a sealed jar as well as it would in a sealed tin.
Nothin' to worry about. Stock up while you can.
(BTW, I love OJK, too) ;)
Make America Great Again
Hermit
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Dodger » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:44 pm

If you are buying that amount a month you save more money in bulk ,and mason or Kilner jars are available in various sizes .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:33 am

I use Kilner jars for almost all of my opened tobaccos.
As to long term storage, I can't give any advice here except from personal experience. The longest mine have been jarred is three years, not bad, but I'm wondering even in a sealed jar if ten years is too long? In a tin they may keep indefinitely, but tins can rust and mould can develop.
I think I can remember someone saying here that the bags themselves won't necessarily keep tobacco fresh long term, so I would be happier to certainly keep stuff in jars but for a shorter period.
That said, someone else will be able to share their own experiences of long term storage.
Kevla here buys in bulk and he may be able to help more specifically. I'm sure he will be answering soon!
Good to here of you planning for the future. I'm doing that with tobaccos here, but U.K. prices are so expensive. Still, I'm building up a decent cellar of stuff. A new order expected this morning as well.

All the best, happy smoking.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:13 pm

Bulk is definitely the way to go when one wants to stock up without breaking the bank. The quality tends to be the same as the tinned version, though sometimes a bit drier (and thus crumblier). Jarring is a must for long-term storage. Personally, I sterilise empty Douwe Egberts glass coffee jars, and have found that they work perfectly, and are much cheaper than Mason/Kilner jars - they come with free coffee, too ;)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Listener666 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:07 pm

Erm...thanks for the replies chaps....thought I had replied a while back...but obviously i didn't :oops:

The bulk buying has started ( my wife thinks I have a new hobby of collecting Kilner/Ball Jars 8-) )

OJK and Haunted Bookshop in bulk....8oz Tins of Barbary Coast......with a few "sample tins for the cellar"....problem is the cellar is starting to grow....with baccy I have never tried..mmmmm :roll:

Never mind....it's quelled the PAD for a while......
“No doubt exists that all women are crazy; it's only a question of degree.”
― W.C. Fields
Listener666

Postby Geo3rge » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:49 pm

Cellaring is the way to go. I'm convinced things will only get more difficult for us as smokers and it pays to add to our stock as we can. So, good luck with the bulk buying and I hope you can enjoy it for a long while to come, even the stuff that's new to you...
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby TigerJack » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:35 am

Bulk all the way, don't be fooled if you have mason jars with good clean seals they will last for 50 years or more , once you break the seal it will gradually start to dry if you smoke it that slow but will still last for years and years even opening it once in awhile & I have tobacco on hand that is over 50 years old & it is as good if not better that the same tobacco new. So start hording tobacco LOL. G'Day
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Postby George » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:04 pm

Invest in a half-dozen mason jars (they're not that expensive) to store your bulk tobacco in.
Personally, I use old (rinsed out) Douwe Egberts coffee jars.
Store the jars in a cool dark cupboard (sunlight will deteriorate the jarred tobacco).

Quidquid latine dictum, altum videtur.
George

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:13 pm

Good advice, G. I doubt very much if I'll be around to smoke a pipe of St. Bruno jarred today and opened in 2067...but you make a very good point of principle. I have a small jar of said tobacco that I intend to open in five years time just to see, providing I'm still puffing away then, of course...enjoy your current stash of blends.
S
Geo3rge

Return to General Pipe Tobacco Discussion