Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Erinmore Flake-New Tin

Discuss or ask questions about pipe tobacco, pipe tobacco storage and aging, blending, etc.

Erinmore Flake-New Tin

Postby Dodger » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:54 pm

Erinmore Flake has gone from a rectangular to a circular tin ,probably due to recent packaging laws .
The flakes used to come side by side and were easily separated ,now they come in one stack which slips sideways and is compressed by the lid ,meaning the flakes cannot be separated easily and tend to come apart .
It makes no difference in taste ,but is an added annoyance when loading a pipe that experience tells you it will take one intact flake and you cannot find one .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Erinmore Flake-New Tin

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:48 pm

Sympathies entirely, Dodger. The time-honoured traditions and know-how seem to be utterly disregarded when new regulations appear. Again, no thought for the consumer.
All I can say is to enjoy it the best way you can.
Some gnashing of teeth can be heard, I'm sure....
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby Dodger » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:12 pm

Another reason for not liking the change ,I picked up two tins today from my B&M and did not notice they were Mixture instead of Flake until I opened one .It's not a bad smoke but not a patch on the Flake . :roll:
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:13 am

I was recently given some 18 year old Erinmore Mixture and it has been a great smoke over a period of time. However, I noticed when the remainder (a small amount) had dried somewhat in the pouch that it had a peculiarly rank and bitter smell. Hmmm...I'm afraid that I then binned it. I suppose I could have rehydrated it again, but decided not to.
I've bought a new tin of the Flake but have yet to open it.
Quite a few folk here complaining of the new tin shape, particularly when it comes to storage on tobacconist shelves!
We just have to live with these things...
Enjoy a few pipes today if you can.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Return to General Pipe Tobacco Discussion