Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Germain's Brown Flake

Discuss or ask questions about pipe tobacco, pipe tobacco storage and aging, blending, etc.

Germain's Brown Flake

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:21 pm

I recently opened a tin of Germain's Brown Flake, as I had heard good things about it.
This lovely small tin (which may be getting changed to larger ones, more's the pity) contained a heavy, dark, rich mass of broken Flake which smelled of deeply fermented grass. There was a sourness to it which was surprising.
The tobacco is as moist as you could get. In fact, the waxed paper around it had succumbed to the moisture level within and was stained in parts.
The Flake is easily rubbed out and you can fill a bowl in no time with it. Upon lighting, there is a very rich, intense taste, creamy smoke, a grassy, almost hay-like flavour that is very deep indeed.
It's a very good smoke, but one that needs several repeat bowls to figure out. There is no doubting the quality of the leaf in this. It has been carefully chosen and prepared.
I need to smoke a few more bowls to appreciate it fully. I think it is one that should be stored in a jar to air a little and then it will come into its own. The superlatives I've heard from others do it justice without doubt. But that moistness is something to be aware of if you're not used to it.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: Germain's Brown Flake

Postby PipeStoke » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:00 am

I agree wholeheartedly, Steve. It's a wonderful tobacco.

Frustratingly, I've only ever had one tin of it although I am planning to get more when I get the chance. Roughly five years ago, I bought a tin and smoked, I thought, all of it. Enjoying it very well. I had it down as 'I should get more of this' but as things are, I do like to try different tobaccos and consequently it slipped out of my mind.

Until! About six months ago, I think, I came across a few flakes in a small jar and thought 'what's this?' I smoked it, thinking that it must be Dunhill Flake, but realised afterwards that it couldn't be; Dunhill Flake never made it into those jars. It could only be Germain's Brown Flake. It was stunningly good after a few years in the jar and certainly one of the best smokes I've ever had.

I buy all my tobacco from 4Noggins from whom I have the best track record of my tobacco not being confiscated in customs. Sadly, Germain's blends tend to be sold out there most of the time, although as I understand it that's not something 4Noggins can do much about since Germain apparently 'take their time' with their tobaccos. :)

I just got some Sam Gawith Best Brown in the mail today. Looking forward to some of that this evening.
PipeStoke

Postby butterspread » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:50 pm

Oh my,
This is probably my all time favourite pure Va blend. I haven't had any issues with moisture, usually getting tins that are either ready to smoke or require very little drying time. Oh my God of Sweet Virginias this is absolutely delicious. I could smoke it non-stop. Luckily, although supplies are scarce even here in the UK, when there is a new batch coming in, I usually order 2 tins and jar them immediately. The leaf is gorgeous, room note pleasant (it doesn't matter to me really as I'm still smoking in the shed) and the baccy itself burns down to the very last strand. If you can get it where you are, get as much as you can afford.
butterspread

Postby Geo3rge » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:12 pm

Glad it's hit the spot with a couple of you. It's rated highly by several folk I know over here and the only problem is that tobaccos from this company can be difficult to obtain on occasions.
Another recent development with legislation is that those lovely small rectangular tins will soon be a thing of the past in favour of round ones. I'm unsure of the detailed reasons for this. Some retailers have been complaining about the problems caused in storage and display as a result.
I do wish people would leave things alone. It seems that as customers and consumers our viewpoints are simply not considered at all. I sigh here...
Carry on enjoying this lovely blend and I hope it can continue to be produced in these uncertain times for our pastime.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Germains Brown Flake

Postby DomRegocobe » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:32 am

contemplating a little friction orange up top and flake on hull 2-the flake has a darker hue from the sample I ve seen......
Any thoughts? TIA
DomRegocobe

Return to General Pipe Tobacco Discussion