Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Aged Erinmore Mixture

Discuss or ask questions about pipe tobacco, pipe tobacco storage and aging, blending, etc.

Aged Erinmore Mixture

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:16 pm

A fellow pipe smoker in a U.K. group has forwarded to me some 18 year old Erinmore mixture. Opening a tin for himself, it was perfectly moist and very flavoursome. Not every tin may be the same, but I'm looking forward to trying it as it seemed to be one of the staples of British pipe smokers years back. I'm not sure of its status now.
I tried it many years ago but it is so long ago that I have forgotten what it was like, so this will be interesting. It will be smoked in a meerschaum.
I will let you know I get on with it.
It reminds me of some 20 year old St. Bruno that I got from another pipe smoker and that is just divine, with a rich depth to both taste and aroma and, feeding nostalgia, was of the old cut width before the EU stepped in. It reminded me of my first forays with St. Bruno as a young chap who loved it from the start.
Happy smoking, all.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: Aged Erinmore Mixture

Postby taharris » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:44 pm

I lucked into a very old and dry tin of St. Bruno at an antique shop once.

After a little rehydration it turned into the best tobacco I have ever smoked.

To this day I love St. Bruno, but what I can buy today doesn't even compare.

Todd
taharris

Re: Aged Erinmore Mixture

Postby PipeStoke » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:16 am

Correction to the below: I've not had Erinmore. I was thinking about Ennerdale. :lol:

Did you try it Steve?

I've only had Erinmore in its fresh form.

Having smoked a tin of it, I have to say that I can't get my head around it. I actually really enjoyed it when having a bowl, but then somehow not after all. Part of the problem I had, was that it tended to dry out my mouth a bit. That's just me though. I know it's just me, because I have that with some foods where everyone else will look deeply puzzled when I say they dry out my mouth. natural yoghurt is one such food.

The flavour of Erinmore however is fantastic, and I think the quality of the leaf is probably some of the highest available anywhere.
PipeStoke

Return to General Pipe Tobacco Discussion