Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Best Brown Flake/Erinmore Flake - same baccy?

Discuss or ask questions about pipe tobacco, pipe tobacco storage and aging, blending, etc.

Best Brown Flake/Erinmore Flake - same baccy?

Postby PipeStoke » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:42 am

Ha!

I wrote Erinmore but I actually mean Ennerdale. I can't edit the title of the thread, but will change it below.

Earlier today the postman delivered a shipment from 4Noggins. I have become extremely fond of St. James Flake (which I think I may even prefer to Full Virginia Flake). Sadly, both St James and FVF were out of stock when I ordered a couple of weeks ago, so I thought I'd give Best Brown a chance, as I have actually wanted to for some time. I got 250gr. bulk.

When I buy bulk, I place it all in a jar and then take out about a tin's worth at a time. Preparing it (if it's a blend I prefer rubbed out f.ex.) and drying it if needed, so that the tin I have sitting has tobacco that is ready to go. When I took out the Best Brown, I was stuck by how much it looks like Ennerdale flake; same satisfyingly loose flakes, dark golden to look at and somehow just very natural to behold. It looks like something that's come out of the garden. In the good way, mind you.

Ten minutes ago, I lit a bowl of it. It's still a little on the moist side, but it'll be fine for a single bowl. The rest will be dried out a bit more before I smoke it. The moment I put a match to it, I thought 'Ennerdale, no sauce'. It does seem like it's very close to being the same thing, but without the Lakeland flavouring added. The further into the bowl I get, the more it seems true.

Has anyone else noted this? Disagree? Know?
:)

I've never actually tried Erinmore. lol :)
Last edited by PipeStoke on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PipeStoke

Re: Best Brown Flake/Erinmore Flake - same baccy?

Postby Dodger » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:08 pm

Think your taste buds are a bit off :lol:
To me there is a world of difference , that means the Burley which adds a new dimension to the Virginia .
Besides that they are made by two different companies .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:55 am

Dodger wrote:Think your taste buds are a bit off :lol:
To me there is a world of difference , that means the Burley which adds a new dimension to the Virginia .
Besides that they are made by two different companies .

agreed, very little similarity. My suggestion in these cases is to ream a pipe, then test the new blend, the results can be eye opening.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby PipeStoke » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:50 pm

Sorry guys!

I meant Ennerdale. I've never actually tried Erinmore. :)
PipeStoke

Postby Dodger » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:32 pm

As far as I'm concerned Erinmore is the bee's knees .
I have not smoked the two for a few years but I think they are very similar blends although the Ennerdale seemed to have the Lakeland casing .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby PipeStoke » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:11 am

Hi Dodger,

Yes, Ennerdale is very heavily soaked in Lakeland sauce.

Best Brown Flake, looks much the same but without Lakeland. And as I mentioned above, to me at least, it seems a lot like the same, except without the Lakeland flavouring.
PipeStoke

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:43 pm

I tried the Ennerdale a couple of years ago and just couldn't get along with it. Too potent in both its fragrance and ghosting.
Erinmore is a different kettle of fish for me and I've been thoroughly enjoying some 18 year old Mixture. A beautiful tobacco, great tin note and an easy going smoke.
I rather like the Best Brown Flake as well. A younger brother, perhaps, of the FVF?
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Return to General Pipe Tobacco Discussion