Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Dunhill Withdrawal From US Market

Discuss or ask questions about pipe tobacco, pipe tobacco storage and aging, blending, etc.

Dunhill Withdrawal From US Market

Postby Dodger » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:31 pm

Briar Hokie on his YouTube video says that BAT who own Dunhill are going to withdraw from the US market and the firm that imports it will no longer be able to .
Whether this is true has not been confirmed as yet .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Dunhill Withdrawal From US Market

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:07 am

Heard that Dunhill is withdrawing its connection to anything tobacco-related. Again, needs to be confirmed. A touch unbelievable given the iconic image involved. White Spot seems to be a separate entity now?
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:17 am

I did not watch but about a minute of the video, lately I have become annoyed watching members of the youtube pipe community rattle on about their personal circumstances, etc. So what was his source for this information? It's usually "a guy I know who should know told me about what he heard from a guy who really knows" but perhaps this particular item is different?

Seems quite odd given that Dunhill has been re-releasing old brands in the US on a regular basis for about 3 years and the US market must account for at least half of their pipe tobacco sales. But it's very possible that they are getting out of the tobacco business entirely under that name and that the products will be rebranded.

My collection of 5 tin sleeves of every available Dunhill blend doesn't seem quite so silly now, does it? :P
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby daveinlax » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:59 am

Geo3rge wrote:Heard that Dunhill is withdrawing its connection to anything tobacco-related. Again, needs to be confirmed. A touch unbelievable given the iconic image involved. White Spot seems to be a separate entity now?
Steve

Alfred Dunhill ltd (pipes, lighters, humidors) and British American Tobacco (Dunhill cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco) have been generally separate for decades. Dunhill Cigarettes will continue on. :ugeek:
daveinlax

Postby Dodger » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:07 pm

ratatosk wrote:I did not watch but about a minute of the video, lately I have become annoyed watching members of the youtube pipe community rattle on about their personal circumstances, etc. So what was his source for this information? It's usually "a guy I know who should know told me about what he heard from a guy who really knows" but perhaps this particular item is different?

Seems quite odd given that Dunhill has been re-releasing old brands in the US on a regular basis for about 3 years and the US market must account for at least half of their pipe tobacco sales. But it's very possible that they are getting out of the tobacco business entirely under that name and that the products will be rebranded.

My collection of 5 tin sleeves of every available Dunhill blend doesn't seem quite so silly now, does it? :P

I have my doubts as well , but BAT have sold off the rights to most of their pipe blends that used to be produced in the UK and when the bean counters get involved almost anything is possible .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Hermit » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:09 pm

I stocked up before Dunhill went missing from the shelves a few years ago.
Then I suddenly lost my taste for Latakia.
I still have 17 tins of My Mixture and 15 tins of Nightcap.
Mebbie they'll be in demand soon. :lol:
Make America Great Again
Hermit
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Dodger » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:07 pm

Muttonchop Piper has reported that they will be withdrawn in 12-18 months .Still no official confirmation ,but he thinks it might have something to do with new packaging and testing regulations .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:44 am

Dodger wrote:Muttonchop Piper has reported that they will be withdrawn in 12-18 months .Still no official confirmation ,but he thinks it might have something to do with new packaging and testing regulations .

Typical YouthTube jackass, he knows somebody who really knows. How that other jackass knows is not disclosed.

I sent a query to smokingpipes about this a few days ago and have not heard back yet, but will share when I do unless they ask that it remain private. I am not one of their A List customers, but close enough to get very extensive replies when I ask about things of this nature.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:13 am

ratatosk wrote:Typical YouthTube jackass, he knows somebody who really knows. How that other jackass knows is not disclosed...

The only way the 'Many but Weak' ever succeed against their age-old foe, the 'Few but Powerful', is to work together against them. While we fight amongst ourselves, our true enemies sit back and laugh at us :idea:
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby PipeStoke » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:05 am

KevLa wrote:
ratatosk wrote:Typical YouthTube jackass, he knows somebody who really knows. How that other jackass knows is not disclosed...

The only way the 'Many but Weak' ever succeed against their age-old foe, the 'Few but Powerful', is to work together against them. While we fight amongst ourselves, our true enemies sit back and laugh at us :idea:

Well said, Kev.

On a lighter note, buddy, I'd like to nominate you to be leader of the Revolutionary Pipe Smokers Preservation Society? I think the title could be 'Head Flake' :lol:

I'm having a Puff-In for something or other right now. :)
PipeStoke

Postby KevLa » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:40 am

Hahaha! Thanks, mate :)
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Listener666 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:49 pm

On a lighter note, buddy, I'd like to nominate you to be leader of the Revolutionary Pipe Smokers Preservation Society? I think the title could be 'Head Flake' :lol:

I'm having a Puff-In for something or other right now. :)[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“No doubt exists that all women are crazy; it's only a question of degree.”
― W.C. Fields
Listener666

Postby Deimitori » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:00 am

I read this article and if this will be true I think it will be a very bad and sad matter for all of us who love Dunhill pipe tobacco.

http://cigar-coop.com/2017/02/cigar-news-british-american-tobacco-to-discontinue-dunhill-cigars-and-pipe-tobacco.html
Deimitori

Postby Dodger » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:28 pm

Visited My B+M today ,he had not heard anything officially or not ,but said that he was having trouble sourcing it and had been unable to get Early Morning since the New Year .His usual wholesaler said things would be back to normal in a few weeks .
Whether this is due to panic buying because of the rumour or slowing down of production is up in the air at the moment .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:27 pm

As one who has been taking the F.D.A. shenanigans seriously, colour me unsurprised. It was never "a hoax by the Chinese"...
KevLa

Postby taharris » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:23 pm

Maybe someone else will buy the recipes and continue to produce.

Todd
taharris

Postby KevLa » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:03 pm

To return them to the United States market would cost as much as to keep them on it now, and if B.A.T. can't afford that, I doubt anyone can. No, they just might be brought back in some form in Europe, but not in the U.S.A., I'm afraid :(
KevLa

Postby ratatosk » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:05 am

KevLa wrote:To return them to the United States market would cost as much as to keep them on it now, and if B.A.T. can't afford that, I doubt anyone can. No, they just might be brought back in some form in Europe, but not in the U.S.A., I'm afraid :(

AFAIK, the "Marlboro Rule" is still part of what the FDA busy bodies are using to oppress us, so any blend on the market prior to August 2007 would not have to go thru much to remain on the market and that covers every Dunhill blend I have ever heard of.

I have decided to treat this rumor with some respect just because the idea of a corporate killing off a large part of it's business arbitrarily rings so true given the general incompetence of anyone above a junior manager level. No problem buying Dunhill baccy in the US at present and smokingpipes still offers the usual volume discounts.

So I will lay away an alternating kilo a month until this is clarified, I smoke Royal Yacht or Elizabethan Mixture every morning and love 965, NIghtcap and Early Morning Pipe. The aged is much better than the new, but you have to buy more new to get more aged eventually. ;)
Richard
-----------
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:58 am

But none of the current incarnations of Dunhill blends were on the market in (February, isn't it?) 2007, were they? I started smoking a pipe in August 2010, and I could swear I recall the return of the Dunhill brand to pipe tobacco :?
KevLa

Postby Dodger » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:30 pm

That is one for the legal profession ,after all the blend is the same as the original allegedly ,whether the hiatus in production counts .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Next

Return to General Pipe Tobacco Discussion