Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Cutting it fine...

Discuss or ask questions about pipe tobacco, pipe tobacco storage and aging, blending, etc.

Cutting it fine...

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:15 am

As I still miss the old cut of St. Bruno Ready Rubbed and find the current one a bit too woody and springy, I resort to rubbing it out even more.
Last evening, I suddenly remembered a Mezzaluna ( the semi curved, two handled blade for herbs etc) that has been lying unused in a kitchen drawer.
Chopping board laid down on a flat surface and thirty seconds later I had a fine, even cut of the RR ready to glide into the bowl. Lit perfectly and easily.
I had toyed with the idea of using a redundant coffee bean grinder, but the Mezzaluna carves through the strands with ease, even the woody stems that I'm finding more and more in a pouch.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: Cutting it fine...

Postby KevinM » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:46 am

Steve, I've only had the opportunity to try the flake version rather recently. Truly a lovely tobacco. I like the Lakeland flavor and it led me to try Ennerdale, which I really like. I didn't mind the flakes but wondered if the RR would be more convenient. Sounds like it may not!
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:27 pm

The RR is fine in taste and aroma, I just found its thickness an issue. It can be rubbed out further, but chopping it seems to help things along a bit more. Less springy and twiggy. Each to his/her own way of dealing with tobacco, Kevin! Glad you've enjoyed the Flake too. Great blend.
S
Geo3rge

Postby lestrout » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:19 am

Yo Geo

A couple of pals at my Lehigh Valley PC and I use an Alaskan Ulu http://shop.theulufactory.com/5-Alaska- ... lus_c2.htm

One handle, and paired with a cutting board/bowl with a concave cutting surface subdues the most recalcitrant plugs.

hp
les
lestrout

Postby KevLa » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:59 am

Just as well that "cultured ivory" is a misnomer, and is 100 per cent polymer resin. Quite why The Ulu Factory don't deem it important to clarify this on their website is worrying enough.
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:10 pm

KevLa wrote:Just as well that "cultured ivory" is a misnomer, and is 100 per cent polymer resin. Quite why The Ulu Factory don't deem it important to clarify this on their website is worrying enough.

Good point. Ivory is a deservedly dirty name these days and I cannot bear the thought of animals being killed just for this commodity. Still going on. I hope it will eventually be stopped for good.
Back to the pipes, my mezzaluna will suffice for now.
Happy smokes, folks.
S
Geo3rge

Return to General Pipe Tobacco Discussion