Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Rattray's shortage?

Discuss or ask questions about pipe tobacco, pipe tobacco storage and aging, blending, etc.

Rattray's shortage?

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:37 am

Folk here have been noticing a shortage of some Rattray's blends. This seems to be due to the current rules involving the changeover of packaging, which may be causing delays in production and distribution. I recently tried ordering some Marlin and Old Gowrie and the tobacconist had neither; several pipe colleagues have noted similar problems. It will be sorted in time no doubt.
Anyone else noticed this with either Rattray's or other makes?
S
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: Rattray's shortage?

Postby KevLa » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:31 pm

Although I can't afford to buy their blends as often as I'd like, I love Rattray's and I hope they don't suffer overmuch from these ridiculous new regulations :x
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby ratatosk » Sun May 28, 2017 3:35 am

Went looking for some Hal O' The Wynd today at the 4 US web sites that do 90% of the internet trade here and none to be found. I don't think that has anything to do with idiotic UK packaging rules considering BREXIT and that the Germans could care less what the UK thinks, I would guess that something else seems to be in play. Maybe just distributor change, or perhaps the anti-tobacco fascists found a way to sink the container ship?

At any rate, I'll be watching this and will stock up once I can.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Sun May 28, 2017 11:02 am

UK folk have recently noticed an upturn in stock available, so maybe the blips, whatever they were, have been rectified.
I chuckled at the idea of sinking the ship; wouldn't surprise me, I think!
Good luck with the search...
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Postby ratatosk » Mon May 29, 2017 11:43 pm

That's good info Steve, thanks.

Tobacco distribution channels are often iffy, I imagine that is the explanation at least for the US.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby FightnHampsters » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:46 pm

I hope that's all it is. I have been getting more skittish about tobacco availability, even with those not on the chopping block. :cry:
FightnHampsters

Postby ratatosk » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:14 am

Just ordered 500g HOW from smokingpipes, everything I care about seems to be in stock once more. Just slow boat I suppose, nothing more.
Richard
-----------
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby PuFFaH » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:40 pm

Marlin flake comes different now, not the long lushious flake anymore but 2 inch.Image

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
PuFFaH

Return to General Pipe Tobacco Discussion