Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

After all these years, finally getting the hang of burleys

Discuss or ask questions about pipe tobacco, pipe tobacco storage and aging, blending, etc.

After all these years, finally getting the hang of burleys

Postby KevinP » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:03 am

Don't know exactly when i started smoking a pipe. Bought one, and then another, well before I was ready to become a 'smoker.' But if this year isn't my 30th anniversary, it must be next year.

During this time, I've tried a few burley-based blend. By no means did I hate them, but mostly I was just apathetic to them. Once cellaring became a thing, I'd try a bowl every now and then and then dump the rest into jars that got pushed to the back of the shelves.

What changed is the second Ardor I posted about in the recent past. Although an estate, it had been professionally cleaned to the point where I was essentially breaking in a new pipe. And it wasn't going well. Although I've broken in many new pipes over the years (mostly by smoking whatever I wanted to smoke in them until a cake developed), this one just wasn't working for me. I was trying stronger and stronger flavours but just wasn't tasting them.

Then I remembered how burley is often suggested as ideal break-in tobacco. As I said, I prefer to smoke what I would smoke anyway--not choose a blend based on some teleological function--but it seemed to be doing the trick. I kept at it, and voila!, I started to appreciate these blends for their own merits.

They haven't unseated virginias and virginia-based blends as my preference, but they've found a way into my rotation.

Pegasus and Odessa lead the way.
KevinP

Return to General Pipe Tobacco Discussion