Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Wet tobacco

Discuss or ask questions about pipe tobacco, pipe tobacco storage and aging, blending, etc.

Wet tobacco

Postby Geo3rge » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:51 am

Some blends of tobacco have an innate moistness to them. Gawith Hoggarth and Germains come to mind. Great tobaccos, but sometimes exceedingly damp!
If, on opening a tin or pouch, you find this moisture level a bit irritating, what do you do?
Smoke it anyway, leave it out to dry, microwave it (someone I know does this for around 10 seconds or so), jar it...
I have started pre-packing pipes the night before; it does help reduce the moisture level for the following morning. Otherwise, I tend to leave a bowlful out to dry for an hour or so, but that is time-consuming isn’t it?!
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: Wet tobacco

Postby KevLa » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:12 pm

I don't often find moist tobacco a problem. I often breath into a bowl of dry tobacco before lighting, to add a little moisture! Haha! :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Dodger » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:10 pm

KevLa wrote:I don't often find moist tobacco a problem. :)

Me too ,with the exception of Sam Gawith's Flakes on occasion .
Putting the flakes on a kitchen towel overnight works .
Leaving the tin open for a day or two with non flakes is said to work although I have not tried that one personally .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:32 pm

I haven't had a problem with this in a while as I have not been smoking Gawith flakes lately. But with a wet flake, I'd rub it out rather fine, let it sit for 10 minutes, then avoid packing the bowl tightly. Might be a struggle for a few lights, but it typically settles down thereafter.

I've never liked the microwave idea, the tobacco did not get wet in 10 seconds and I think there is something to be said for not drying it instantly. Plus, I think I've read that smoke is 80%+ water vapor, so you're sort of fighting yourself if you dry it too much.

Having said that, I would then add that I have encountered tinned 1792 flake that is essentially fireproof and actually does require either some artificial help or a few days of open air drying. I am not sure why 1792 can be such an ordeal, the other Gawith flakes are never that bad to deal with.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:14 am

Could it be the tonquin that is added to the 1792? Just wondering if it affects the moisture levels? No idea, to be honest, but just a thought.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Return to General Pipe Tobacco Discussion