Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Wet tobacco

Discuss or ask questions about pipe tobacco, pipe tobacco storage and aging, blending, etc.

Wet tobacco

Postby Geo3rge » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:51 am

Some blends of tobacco have an innate moistness to them. Gawith Hoggarth and Germains come to mind. Great tobaccos, but sometimes exceedingly damp!
If, on opening a tin or pouch, you find this moisture level a bit irritating, what do you do?
Smoke it anyway, leave it out to dry, microwave it (someone I know does this for around 10 seconds or so), jar it...
I have started pre-packing pipes the night before; it does help reduce the moisture level for the following morning. Otherwise, I tend to leave a bowlful out to dry for an hour or so, but that is time-consuming isn’t it?!
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: Wet tobacco

Postby KevLa » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:12 pm

I don't often find moist tobacco a problem. I often breath into a bowl of dry tobacco before lighting, to add a little moisture! Haha! :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Dodger » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:10 pm

KevLa wrote:I don't often find moist tobacco a problem. :)

Me too ,with the exception of Sam Gawith's Flakes on occasion .
Putting the flakes on a kitchen towel overnight works .
Leaving the tin open for a day or two with non flakes is said to work although I have not tried that one personally .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:32 pm

I haven't had a problem with this in a while as I have not been smoking Gawith flakes lately. But with a wet flake, I'd rub it out rather fine, let it sit for 10 minutes, then avoid packing the bowl tightly. Might be a struggle for a few lights, but it typically settles down thereafter.

I've never liked the microwave idea, the tobacco did not get wet in 10 seconds and I think there is something to be said for not drying it instantly. Plus, I think I've read that smoke is 80%+ water vapor, so you're sort of fighting yourself if you dry it too much.

Having said that, I would then add that I have encountered tinned 1792 flake that is essentially fireproof and actually does require either some artificial help or a few days of open air drying. I am not sure why 1792 can be such an ordeal, the other Gawith flakes are never that bad to deal with.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:14 am

Could it be the tonquin that is added to the 1792? Just wondering if it affects the moisture levels? No idea, to be honest, but just a thought.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Postby steppenwolph » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:06 am

I find that most McClelland blends that I have smoked benefit from some dry time. A significant amount, actually. Also, Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake required a fair amount of drying to be smokeable the last time I tried it. On the other hand, Gawith and Hoggarth Rum Twist and Solani 633 Virginia Flake were both at an excellent moisture level for smoking, not to wet or too dry. I smoked both of those straight through with no relights, straight out of the tin. The first two mentioned tobaccos could could hardly be lit as packaged. Especially McClelland Bulk 2035 Navy Flake. That was like trying to smoke wet leather. Some have suggested that it is a scandal to sell tobacco as wet as that, since to dry it reduces the weight, and it is hardly smokeable as presented. These things do vary, but it would be a vast improvement if all tobacco would reliably arrive from the manufacturer at an easily smokeable level of moisture. That is all.
This most gentle sensation distinguished by any distant receptors.
steppenwolph

Return to General Pipe Tobacco Discussion