Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Pleasant surprise............

Discuss or ask questions about pipe tobacco, pipe tobacco storage and aging, blending, etc.

Pleasant surprise............

Postby Listener666 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:22 am

Just had a bowl of Amphora Original (Brown)..........................very surprised as to how good it is.

Buttery Burley and Cavendish with a really creamy mouth feel..( I had been smoking Cockstrong for a few previous days mind.. 8-) )....
Can't get much of the Oriental....slight chocolate and woodiness at times but just an overall good taste.....not what I was expecting from a pouch. It has what I describe as that American Burley forward taste (which I like).

As I only smoke 1 or occasionally 2 bowls a day it's a little mild for me, but will be an ideal holiday tobacco as I tend to have quite a few bowls at those times.

My quest for a UK available strong tasting Bu/VA...maybe with Perique continues.....after being hit with 2 Customs and excise bill's for £320... :oops: :lol: .....continues.
“No doubt exists that all women are crazy; it's only a question of degree.”
― W.C. Fields
Listener666

Re: Pleasant surprise............

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:39 am

Not a tobacco I’ve had yet, L. Sounds as if it’s made a good impression on you. Ouch! That Customs bill must have made yours eyes water...good luck with the search for the perfect blend.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:22 am

If you don't respond to the seizure notice, they can't charge you for release. It means writing off any original payment to the sender, of course.

Don't you like Cockstrong, then? I adore the stuff! :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby ratatosk » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:39 am

Ermm, you got popped for $425 in excise duties on 2 shipments? Unless they were > 10 pounds each, that is absurd! The duty on pipe tobacco inbound to the US is $2.98/lb. assuming that they even notice and if they do, they won't do anything because it costs more than that to send a bill. You people are truly oppressed- I would say file a U.N. human rights complaint, but the UN is even worse than the UK government about tobacco in general.

Anyway, have a look at C&D's Epiphany and Haunted Bookshop blends if you want burley/va/perique and the former includes some Orientals I think. These are good smokes, but much better at 5 months than at 5 years for whatever reason.

My assumption is that you are now on The List and need to have stuff sent to a friend if you want to avoid spaffing more dosh to the border guards. Good luck and thanks for the wonderful slang, Brits.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:53 am

“spaffing more dosh to the border guards. Good luck and thanks for the wonderful slang, Brits.”

Pretty good yourself, Richard! Not heard of “spaffing” before; it could enter my vocabulary from now on....
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:22 am

"Help! I'm being oppressed!" :lol:
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Listener666 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:15 am

KevLa wrote:If you don't respond to the seizure notice, they can't charge you for release. It means writing off any original payment to the sender, of course.

Don't you like Cockstrong, then? I adore the stuff! :)

I did think about that....but I wanted the baccy!!!

I really like Cockstrong......its a bit rough around the edges ...but i like that sometimes with a morning black coffee.
― W.C. Fields
Listener666

Postby Listener666 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:22 am

ratatosk wrote:Ermm, you got popped for $425 in excise duties on 2 shipments? Unless they were > 10 pounds each, that is absurd! The duty on pipe tobacco inbound to the US is $2.98/lb. assuming that they even notice and if they do, they won't do anything because it costs more than that to send a bill. You people are truly oppressed- I would say file a U.N. human rights complaint, but the UN is even worse than the UK government about tobacco in general.

Anyway, have a look at C&D's Epiphany and Haunted Bookshop blends if you want burley/va/perique and the former includes some Orientals I think. These are good smokes, but much better at 5 months than at 5 years for whatever reason.

My assumption is that you are now on The List and need to have stuff sent to a friend if you want to avoid spaffing more dosh to the border guards. Good luck and thanks for the wonderful slang, Brits.

Yep 2 orders of about $120 each 3 weeks apart..............around 4lbs in total...... :roll:

I have been cellaring Haunted Bookshop and OJK for quite a while.......my 2 favourites....although HB can change depending on the batch.....I have a 1lb bag in jars that tastes a little bland and interestingly some of the reviews state " a little bland", I couldn't work it out until I had this batch .....then I understood.

I think your right about "The list"......funny how my step son will be starting to smoke a pipe soon............... :twisted:

The really interesting thing is......if I stick to bulk blends that are on "offer"....the cost isn't that far from a 50g tin here in the uk.........says it all really.....my heart goes out to the Aussies....where I believe it's a lot worse.
― W.C. Fields
Listener666

Postby KevLa » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:43 pm

Geo3rge wrote:...Not heard of “spaffing” before; it could enter my vocabulary from now on....

I recommend first looking up the slang "to spaf," Steve ;)
KevLa

Return to General Pipe Tobacco Discussion